Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead and Oil on skeena  (Read 3456 times)

mdc8427

Steelhead and Oil on skeena
« on: December 29, 2014, 09:07:43 PM »

Not one to force my thoughts on others but if you got a half hour  worth the watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRBAZbmuqvU

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: Steelhead and Oil on skeena
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 07:51:31 AM »

Man there sure are some messed up minds out there, reading the comments I found some serious whackos. No pipeline, no matter what, but who's going to do the standing up?

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 10:43:39 AM »

Saw this when it first aired and I was outraged.My ardour has since cooled somewhat in the face of all the arguments of the past couple years.I remain opposed to this particular pipeline because it still looks as if it can not be built with any guaranty of safety.I lived through the Exxon Valdez spill.No access to discover or re-mediate a spill in those mountains. I confess I feel somewhat different about other pipelines though.When I see protesters  say they are going to stop Kinder Morgan then rid us of the existing one and all sources of oil it makes me wonder.Why does it have to be all or nothing for either side?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:37:25 PM by Riverman »
Riverman

mdc8427

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 12:13:25 PM »

Pretty cool River systems  Gonna have to go For a week at least in the near future

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 09:22:32 PM »

Saw this when it first aired and I was outraged.My ardour has since cooled somewhat in the face of all the arguments of the past couple years.I remain opposed to this particular pipeline because it still looks as if it can not be built with any guaranty of safety.I lived through the Exxon Valdez spill.No access to discover or re-mediate a spill in those mountains. I confess I feel somewhat different about other pipelines though.When I see protesters  say they are going to stop Kinder Morgan then rid us of the existing one and all sources of oil it makes me wonder.Why does it have to be all or nothing for either side?

Well, ridding us of the existing Trans Mountain pipeline doesn't make much sense. I would like to see the alternatives from these protesters to the existing line. By rail? That's not safer. Railways run adjacent to the Fraser River and many other salmonid-bearing rivers.  By truck?  Not realistic.  Going to haul millions of litres of crude along highways - that also run adjacent to salmonid-bearing rivers?  It's good to be environmentally conscious, but if the ideas don't make sense and the alternatives are actually worse for the environment than the existing one then what is really gained? 

That being said I believe that the video was well done and informative (except for one very little part). Unlike "Salmon Confidential" which had uninformed individuals portraying themselves as experts, cherry picking data and ignoring most of the Cohen Final Report this video actually had very knowledgeable people who are not protesting to say no to all development - but instead had concerns and knowledge to contribute and explained both very well.  Bob Hooten (retired MOE fisheries biologist in the Skeena) is not some "eco-terrorist" or radical self-interest with nothing to contribute to the discussion.