Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lure selection  (Read 1836 times)

barklee

Lure selection
« on: December 29, 2014, 01:15:45 AM »

I wanted to catch either cutthroat or stealhead on one of the smaller Fraser tributaries 3 weeks ago I landed a 3 large cutthroat on mottled peachy bead. I was told thou, to use a 3 inch pink worm for steelhead so I tried the pink worm with a dew worm and no luck not even a cutthroat. The waters are somewhat blown because of our rains and the water is darker brown now. When I caught the cutties the day after our first snow in van.

What do you guys suggest as a better lure to catch both and what colors for our weather and this darker water.

thanks

Chromie

Re: Lure selection
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 06:23:43 AM »

single egg number 4 hook leader only 14inches. you will catch both

Cheers

barklee

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 12:21:04 PM »

Awesome what size bead/egg

Thanks 4 advice

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 01:25:42 PM »

Try spoons! Solid brass 2/5 R&B works very well for both trout and steelhead. We've also done well with silver/gold or silver/brass 50/50 spoons, solid silver, and anything with orange in it. Very effective for covering water and picks up a bunch of fish. Change out the big hooks to a size 1 trailing hook with my trailing hook method - that way you won't kill the cutties and they'll actually be able to get their mouths around the hook!

barklee

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 04:02:31 PM »

Everyday the spoons look good but how about tiny streams?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 04:23:07 PM »

Those cutties were both caught on a stream no more than 50 feet wide in many places... we use them on small vancouver island streams for both steel and trout all the time.

Honestly, there are no streams around here (in the lower mainland), that I've seen where spoons wouldn't work. On really small rivers you can always go down to a 3/8 spoon rather than a 2/5.