Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cutthroat fishing set ups what u got  (Read 7116 times)

SteelheadAdict

Cutthroat fishing set ups what u got
« on: December 09, 2014, 06:16:46 PM »

So with winter and spring cuthroat fishing starting soon for me any way fuiguerd i would share my rig flys at rigs

for my rod i have 2 got to set ups first one is my streemer set up

Sage one 10' 5wt

Lamson Speedster 2

Rio aqualux 6wt

My second one is what i use with a dry line and indicators Nymps and/eggs

Sage Rpl 10' 4wt

Ross CLA #1.5

Rio Indicator II

will upload some fly photos in abit

A Frayed Knot

Re: Cutthroat fishing set ups what u got
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 09:26:19 AM »

13' Hirame-M-3909 w/ 11ft leader + 5ft tippet

Best thing I ever used.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 08:36:15 AM »

I have half a dozen rods and a similar number of reels in weights #3 to #6, 8 1/2 to 10 feet in length that are suitable. Last few years I have mostly used a 10 foot #5 and a dry line with about 10 feet of leader and 3x tippet. Lighter rods I don't use much except for some dry fly work I Usually encounter come late February into early April. Tenkara or Euro-nymph setups wouldn't be of much use where I usually fish as casts of 40 to 70 feet with sculpin patterns weighted with dumbbell eyes but on some smaller waters I bet they'd be lots of fun. 
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 10:17:33 AM »

I have half a dozen rods and a similar number of reels in weights #3 to #6, 8 1/2 to 10 feet in length that are suitable. Last few years I have mostly used a 10 foot #5 and a dry line with about 10 feet of leader and 3x tippet. Lighter rods I don't use much except for some dry fly work I Usually encounter come late February into early April. Tenkara or Euro-nymph setups wouldn't be of much use where I usually fish as casts of 40 to 70 feet with sculpin patterns weighted with dumbbell eyes but on some smaller waters I bet they'd be lots of fun.

That is true. I doubt I'd ever get 70ft but 40 is pretty realistic, I think you'd be quite surprised where you can do with Tenkara and Euro rods. The one I have a bit on the heavier side as far as weight goes. 6:4 which is the equiv I guess to about a 7wt? Don't quite quote me on it but if I compare my 2pc 7 and it, its got fairly similar stiffness, but I use my Tenkara for all around fishing out of my fat cat or off medium size rivers. I grant you I don't actually have any sculpin or weight flies so I don't know what or if those can be chucked, I do use the flies designed for these rods and a lot of different size rabbit’s foot emergers.
I did have some success carp fishing w/ the 13'' tenkara but tbh thats less about distance and more about just being ridiculously still. And well, its Lafarge... soo enough said. Haha.

What I do like about these rods is the fact they are telescopic and fairly durable, downside is they aren't much good for a lot of interior fishing, they aren't built for "man-trout". Which I think is going to limit their popularity.

The only other rod I use for trout fishing is my 10'7 but I am trying to get rid of that one for something much lighter for trout fishing. I'd like to go around the same length but in a 5 I think.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 10:21:12 AM by A Frayed Knot »
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 07:30:20 AM »

the best you can do with such a setup is just over 30 feet unless you have rubber arms. That said lots of places on the Fraser the cutts are within about 20 feet or less in some cases. Hook a steelhead or a large bull and good luck! However I've never been attracted to tenkara rods and euro nymphing is still nymphing and a refinement on the high sticking and outrigger methods that have been around for 40 years.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 09:34:59 AM »

I have a rod with a reel and some line......................

Oh wait !! I don't fish for cutthroat  :P

pretty hard to beat this one and it was my only second one ever caught and I think we caught around 50 that day. Started to get very annoying while coho fishing and only getting cutties
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 09:43:02 AM »

I don't fish for cutthroat  :P

bless you! Keep it that way.  ;D

Chehalis_Steel

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 03:45:33 PM »

Don't mind the stupid Coho getting lockjaw when you can get fish like that  :) Biggest one I got was about 3 lbs, thought it was a Coho until I got him in. Still fought pretty good on the 8 wt.

If I'm actually targeting cutties I use 10 foot Orvis Clearwater 5 wt with a floating line and 10 foot leader with maybe 2-3 feet tippet for nymphs and a bit shorter leader and tippet for minnow patterns.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 12:14:19 PM »

the best you can do with such a setup is just over 30 feet unless you have rubber arms. That said lots of places on the Fraser the cutts are within about 20 feet or less in some cases. Hook a steelhead or a large bull and good luck! However I've never been attracted to tenkara rods and euro nymphing is still nymphing and a refinement on the high sticking and outrigger methods that have been around for 40 years.

I only took up the tenkara rod because the only light gear I have for fishing is big ole 2pces i got tired of lugging around myself.
I was also fascinated with a fish technique that dates back 200 years. Casting isn't much of an issue either, It's all about the physics, power vs timing and natural balance.
It's like I said, it does have its limited, as per the carp experience, experiences will be different but i found them to have more fight than most fish I have targetted. I am fascinated with carp I think I am going to do my best to learn to fly fish for them this summer when they pick up.

As far as cutties go I would like to visit the island specifically big qualicum and nitinat river and do some dry fly fishing. I'd like to replace my 7wt though and get something a little lighter maybe 5 or 6.
Around Vancouver I've always liked using minnow patterns but I would like to get far more experience with dries.

Chehalis_Steel

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 10:07:12 AM »

Around Vancouver I've always liked using minnow patterns but I would like to get far more experience with dries.

The sloughs around Chilliwack and Mission actually have some pretty good hatches at times, even though most of the time minnow patterns are best. Last May we were getting one after the other on brown drakes...one even took my foam flying ant pattern  ;D

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 04:17:21 AM »

The sloughs around Chilliwack and Mission actually have some pretty good hatches at times, even though most of the time minnow patterns are best. Last May we were getting one after the other on brown drakes...one even took my foam flying ant pattern  ;D

Nice! I am gonna have to give it a shot, I assume an average leader/tippet? I like to use taper leaders around 6-8ft depending on where I am fishing.
I would assume that 4-6ft should be plenty if its too long it'll just sag down the fly at some point?
I'll have to see what I have for dries, its pretty limited, mostly just variations of elk hair caddis and hares ears.

ajransom

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 09:21:05 AM »

9 foot 4 weight, full flex action works well for me...

I like longer leaders if the water is clear - usually start with 9ft 4X leader and add a couple of feet of 5X tippet if fishing dries or nymphs etc.

I really like swinging wet flies for them too, and seems to work pretty well. Some bead head soft hackles work well and have a good profile in a quartering downstream swing. Some of our local streams are quite bushy, so backcasting is tough - thats where you can practice some spey casts (double spey etc) on your single hander...

Ive never caught any as the one on the pic, but that is a beautiful fish! Would be a blast on a 4 weight too!