Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFO loses its oversight of fish habitat in pipeline corridors  (Read 3408 times)

StillAqua

DFO loses its oversight of fish habitat in pipeline corridors
« on: December 08, 2014, 10:48:01 AM »

http://commonsensecanadian.ca/harper-guts-fish-protections-neb-takes-habitat-along-pipelines/

"It’s the latest in a long line of efforts by the Harper Government to dismantle Canada’s environmental laws in order to facilitate energy development. In a memorandum of understanding between the Department of Fisheries and Oceans and the National Energy Board – quietly released just before Christmas – DFO relinquished much of its oversight of fish habitat in pipeline corridors.

The decision means that Enbridge and Kinder Morgan – which formally filed its own pipeline application on December 16, the same day the NEB memo was made public – will no longer need to obtain permits from DFO to alter habitat for their projects. “Fish and fish habitat along those pipelines is now the responsibility of the Alberta-based, energy friendly National Energy Board,” notes Robin Rowland of Northwest Energy News, who broke the story yesterday."

Ambassador

Re: DFO loses its oversight of fish habitat in pipeline corridors
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 12:15:59 PM »

The Con BS continues. Morgan Stanley is calling for $46 barrels of oil next year - a fair bit cheaper than Alberta can produce it for. At least we wont have to worry about a leak if the pipe is empty!
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 04:09:45 PM »

I'm a bit surprised with your post StillAqua as this MOU is nearly a year old. Just reminding us perhaps?

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 07:56:14 PM »

The decision means that Enbridge and Kinder Morgan – which formally filed its own pipeline application on December 16, the same day the NEB memo was made public – will no longer need to obtain permits from DFO to alter habitat for their projects. “Fish and fish habitat along those pipelines is now the responsibility of the Alberta-based, energy friendly National Energy Board,” notes Robin Rowland of Northwest Energy News, who broke the story yesterday."

I understand why many are upset about this and in fact this wasn't a big surprise considering what happened to Habitat employees last year.  However, when you read the memorandum of understanding between the NEB and DFO you will see that Robin Rowland is incorrect in her quote.  Should the NEB determine that an authorization under the Fisheries Act is required the company would have to apply to DFO for the necessary authorization to proceed. The NEB will oversee the environmental assessments and compliance oversight. I guess it depends whether one believes the NEB can preform this role to the benefit of all Canadians and truly do the proper assessments. I guess time will tell.  With our present political environment and given what happened last year it will be a very tough sell no doubt.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:10:39 PM by shuswapsteve »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 07:24:31 AM »

http://

nosey

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 08:37:52 AM »

In 1980 I worked for Marine Pipe doing a series of loops on the then Trans Mountain now Kinder Morgan line through the Coquihalla river basin. I can't remember the exact amount of river crossings but it was in the low to mid teens. The pipeline follows the entire length of the river from the lake to the Fraser. When they twin it the same route will be followed they can't avoid it.
   When you do a river crossing it involves excavators digging a 2-3 meter deep trench up to 15 meter wide depending on the amount of sluff you have across the river dragging a huge piece of 24" pipe weighted down with big concrete clamp on weights into the trench then burying it with the gravel you bailed out.
   It doesn't matter at all whether or not you are in fish habitat, fish bearing water, active spawning beds or whatever, that is the route the pipeline takes and that is the route and the methods they'll use when they twin it. The timing of the work is not done to minimize the impact on the fish, it is done when the water levels are at their lowest to minimize the expense of the work.
   This is the way it's done, this is the way it'll be done again when they twin the Kinder Morgan line, there is nobody out there to look out for the fish, get used to it, that pipeline will be rammed down our throats or up where ever whether we like it or not.