Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave Question  (Read 11083 times)

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
Stave Question
« on: December 06, 2014, 06:54:08 PM »

Do people just not care anymore? I love fishing the Stave, lots of clipped coho and all the chum you can reel in, most seasons. But we are getting out of hand with garbage and crazy parking.

My question is, what can we do to not look like such incredible pigs? any thoughts at all are welcome, Thanks.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: Stave Question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 07:34:41 PM »

We need to self police it I guess, ignorance won't change without reason.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 08:23:02 PM »

Nice, and the guy nails a garbage piece of siding onto the pole - that's classy as heck.

243Pete

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 08:55:27 PM »

Pack in and pack out. I don't really get the mentality of people who believe they can just throw things on the ground and walk away like nothing happened. But then again I sort of do cause basically it's pure ignorance and a mixture of self entitlement, they probably believe that someone else will come along and pick up their trash and they don't have to go through the hassle themselves.

sbc hris

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 09:27:02 PM »

Pack in and pack out. I don't really get the mentality of people who believe they can just throw things on the ground and walk away like nothing happened. But then again I sort of do cause basically it's pure ignorance and a mixture of self entitlement, they probably believe that someone else will come along and pick up their trash and they don't have to go through the hassle themselves.

They don't think anyone will come and pick up after them, they just plain don't care. Pure ignorance and a fast spreading disease among us... It's not just a special few, probably a lot more than you think.

243Pete

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 02:17:45 AM »

They don't think anyone will come and pick up after them, they just plain don't care. Pure ignorance and a fast spreading disease among us... It's not just a special few, probably a lot more than you think.

True true, It's reaching epedemic numbers honestly... so far this year I've filled one large Safeway bags full of mono, braid and other terminal gear. And that doesn't include the Timmy cups which seems to be the most common coffee cup found along the edges of the Vedder and Stave.

Respect for the enviroment and other anglers should be the key idea here.

What worries me is if they decide to close off the area to parking due to complaints from the locals or if BC hydro decides that the garbage can be a hazard. Only takes a few to ruin it for the rest of us.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 04:25:29 AM by 243Pete »

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 10:35:28 AM »

True true, It's reaching epedemic numbers honestly... so far this year I've filled one large Safeway bags full of mono, braid and other terminal gear. And that doesn't include the Timmy cups which seems to be the most common coffee cup found along the edges of the Vedder and Stave.

Respect for the enviroment and other anglers should be the key idea here.

What worries me is if they decide to close off the area to parking due to complaints from the locals or if BC hydro decides that the garbage can be a hazard. Only takes a few to ruin it for the rest of us.

I can see Hydro and or/the governing District or City instituting a no parking law which runs from August thru December. Littering will surely ruin access for everyone here. Truly the sad part is the number of greedy, selfish "fishermen" that disregard the laws - this is bloody disgraceful.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 10:49:06 AM »

I can see Hydro and or/the governing District or City instituting a no parking law which runs from August thru December. Littering will surely ruin access for everyone here. Truly the sad part is the number of greedy, selfish "fishermen" that disregard the laws - this is bloody disgraceful.

Or rather then just ban parking they could actually enforce the no littering law, and make money.

But you know, just a thought.

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 12:15:29 PM »

There already is no parking where everyone parks but they just white out the arrows on the signs or rip out the signs and throw them down the banks. The litter, illegal parking, immoral fishing practices, have gone on for so many years that many think of it as acceptable behaviour on this river. I fish this river regularly and it is the majority that is the issue. There are some fantastic moral law abiding fishermen on the river but in my observations and opinion we are vastly outnumbered. Enforcement is the issue or rather lack thereof! The only way to solve the issues of this great fishery is to complain to our politicians, police, tow truck drivers, bylaw enforcement, fisheries, hydro, conservation officers, repeatidly. They will not listen to the minority so make youselves the majority and let them hear your dissatisfaction. Complaining on here isn't going to change anything , complain to those that enforce or change the laws, otherwise expect the same old BS on this river year in and out. I got some satisfaction this year watching a few get towed out of the handicapped parking and watched one fisherman have his gear confiscated so don't think that a phone call won't make a difference

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 01:19:08 PM »

some of the observations above explain why I have seldom fished the Stave since chum salmon were opened for retention.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 01:56:49 PM »

Littering at the small or large scale is not a problem confined only in the fishing community. Wherever there is a presence of human activities, littering will happen. This is why there is a budget allocated for cleaning up venues after an outdoor concert, a festival, a parade, etc. To prevent littering at your local waterways, there are several initiatives which need to be established and carried on by a number of dedicated volunteers.

1) Improve access to fishing spots. Right now our fisheries can easily be accessed for anyone who purchases an angling licence. Take Stave River for example, access is unorganized, chaotic and messy. municipalities don't realize that people will always want to fish and by removing existing access to clean up the mess, it's simply moving the problem a little further away until that access is also closed. A better alternative for the city is to appreciate just how large the recreational fishing community and its economic impact is in the region, invest some money on improving existing access or establishing new access (washrooms, parking stalls, garbage bins, educational signages and dare I say it, fish cleaning stations). With proper access, most people will choose to behave properly and local residents also benefit. To accomplish this, there has to be a group which is willing to begin a dialogue with the city. It's not an overnight process, it'll take years to convince decision makers especially if fishing is not their pastime. Fraser Valley Salmon Society has been a driving force on requesting Chilliwack to improve access at Island 22. So far very little progress has been made but directors are working hard and confident it will happen. The same can be achieved for the Stave River, Mission Boat Launch, Nicomen Slough boat launch, etc. There just have to be a few people who are willing to step up and do the grind work.

2) Organize a river cleanup at the end of the fishing season keeps the place tidy, but also demonstrates to local residents that majority in the angling community do care. When Chilliwack River cleanups were first hosted back in 2002, a couple of dozen people showed up. Today, 12 years later, a couple hundred people show up at each cleanup. Create a movement and change the attitude, after a decade you'll see a difference. One tip when it comes to encouraging people to attend cleanups, don't discriminate and attempt to label who are possibly doing the littering (Asians, Europeans, bottom bouncers, bait fishermen, young punks, rich people...). The reality is that anyone can be litterers. This is a mess that all of us need to tackle together.

3) Phone the enforcement officers whenever the opportunity is there. At each fishery-related meetings, the same message has been emphasized from both federal and provincial enforcement staffs, violation reports are on the decline. Recreational users are eyes and ears for enforcement staffs, who rely on these reports to do their job more efficiently. Not every call will be attended. In fact, most calls will not be attended because the number of officers is simply not there to accommodate the area they need to patrol. However, once awhile officers just might be in your area when the call is made and can attend the site immediately.

4) If violators are caught and charged, the punishment should be severe enough to stop future violations. Publicizing the consequences of these charges also motivate more people to work with local enforcement and discourage other potential violators.

Complaining about these same problems on the internet achieves absolutely nothing as we have seen on this forum in the past decade, but if ideas can be spawned from these discussions and carried out by a few who are willing to lead in this community just might make a difference.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 02:40:07 PM »

I'm with Rod, but a much simpler suggestion. Accountability. Technology is cheap enough now to hook up cameras in the trees with solar power to transmit video data wirelessly to a server nearby. Problem solved. Max fines and tickets for those who litter.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 04:52:36 PM »

I'm with Rod, but a much simpler suggestion. Accountability. Technology is cheap enough now to hook up cameras in the trees with solar power to transmit video data wirelessly to a server nearby. Problem solved. Max fines and tickets for those who litter.

x2

If the pigs got a 1000$ ticket for littering which they must pay if they want to have their car insurance renewed, most, if not all, would think twice before littering again. Hit them HARD where it hurts the most - their wallets!

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 06:36:22 PM »

TheFishingLad

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 06:44:19 PM »

x2

If the pigs got a 1000$ ticket for littering which they must pay if they want to have their car insurance renewed, most, if not all, would think twice before littering again. Hit them HARD where it hurts the most - their wallets!
It's also worth mentioning that this sub $10,000 investment would pay for itself fairly quickly.