Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freshwater question?  (Read 4006 times)

barklee

Freshwater question?
« on: November 23, 2014, 04:36:33 AM »

I have seen pictures when people are holding the steelhead or salmon they caught some try to keep the rods and reels from the water others have them submerged. Considering we live in BC and it rains quite a bit my rods and reels are ok. But how about being submerged? Are spinning reels ok are baitcasters ok are centerpins ok to be put under?

Please help

I did try to submerge my cheap abu spinning it seems ok but I had to dry out and oil certain parts. Also I know that in saltwater some people say to saok fly reel in tap water over night.

What's right?

clarkii

• Old Timer
Re: Freshwater question?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 07:29:19 AM »

A lot of times fly reels get submerged or put on the bank, either or.  In terms of potential damage, it could be possible for the drag to slip as some dont like getting wet.  Most should be fine if it is a sealed drag system.  If it is a click system the reel will be fine, just has to be dried thoroughly.  Another issue with that is silt getting into the reel, which can cause problems depending where it goes. 

I am not a gear guy so someone else will have to explain submersion with spinning and pin reels.

As far as saltwater use goes, always rinse/soak your gear afterward.  The salt can corrode parts of the reel, affecting function.  I know Lamson had a maintenance issue with their reels, and had to change instructions due to corrosion of some important bit.  as a result they bucked up and covered the cost of part replacement.

hope this helps.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 07:38:15 AM »

As a general rule Spinning reels should not be submerged, same goes for bait casters. Fly reels often have sealed drags, or click pawl setups that can handle the water. As with any gear you should let it dry out as soon as you're done.

There may be some higher end spinners, bait casters that could be submerged? I could be wrong.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 08:23:14 AM »

The only fly reel I owned that was affected by submersion were the SA system 2s. That was caused by the material used in the disc pads. The loss of drag resistance didn't last more than a few minutes. Older style cork drags also had this problem but unless you have an ancient reel most cork based drags are either oiled or impregnated with teflon or a similar material.The bigger issue is grit getting into the reel  but that can be easily rinsed out.  As far spinning or casting reels - the major issue is saltwater particularly since once it is inside the reel the reel has to be taken apart to get the salt out. There are many reels that are saltwater resistant now. Freshwater is far less corrosive but grit and  dirt getting into such a reel can cause problems and require a tear down and cleaning.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 08:29:47 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

barklee

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 09:00:37 PM »

Ralph so you are saying that its ok to submerge spin and cast in fresh as long as when you go home tear apart and clean.

Is this ok?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 10:16:02 AM »

I'd never heard of that as a problem before and I looked at Shimano, Penn, Daiwa and Quantum websites and owners manuals don't make much reference other than Daiwa recommends not to submerge the reel to clean it . A website on reel maintenance did say don't submerge your reel as it may 'blow up' the gears and bearings but how that could happen to metal gears and even water resistant plastics I don't know. I did put a spinning reel in water for photos of fish and once a good sized coho sloshed around stirring up lots of dirt which got into the reel. Not a good thing. Trying to rinse it was no help and may have made it worse. However it seems to me a fishing reel is bound to have lots of exposure to water - rain, boat wash, the occasional dunking and if it can't put up with it. it doesn't meet it's intended purpose.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:04:27 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bald_seagull

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 05:16:16 PM »

he best ive had my stradics for 4 seasons now a 2500 FE and 3000 c14
both have been submerged in both fresh and saltwater without any issues *touch wood

though every 2 months or so i pull them apart and give them a once over with a qtip then regrease and oil

my chronach 200 e7 i 3 years old same deal except i just clean it the best i can but im too scared to take it completely apart because it seems much more complicated than a spinning reel

this is my first season with salt hitting my gear though everytime i hit the beach i rinsed my gear thoroughly and so far so good

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 07:04:03 PM »

i have a quantum spincaster that readily gets submerged in water during outings. after a few trips i always give it a good rinse with the hosepipe rod ,guides and reel. if the conditions are muddy or sandy i give it a good rinse , take it apart and give it reel oil and grease and it as good as new. this reel is over 10 years old and has caught over a hundered salmon and there are no issues besides all the scratches. Regularly maintaining your reel is key. I dont find freshwater an issue when reels are submerged in it. But you gotta maintain your gear.

barklee

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 10:40:48 PM »

Thanks for all the advice!!!