Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roe Bags  (Read 7730 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Roe Bags
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 11:21:33 PM »

I like egg bags as well but one huge advantage roe has is scent.
The water hardened eggs just don't have it.
Your welcome. ;)

That's what scent is for. :)

hammer

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2014, 06:22:54 PM »

Throw one Jensen egg near the top of the bag and run your hook through that. Also 2X, a little scent doesn't hurt. Just put a few drops into your ziplock (I use krill oil sometimes) where store them. When one gets tired just throw it back in the back. Also, a scented roe ball is a great addition to a thumbnail size spin and glo combo on the highwater/blown-out days... fished in about two feet of water.   

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2014, 07:42:02 PM »

Throw one Jensen egg near the top of the bag and run your hook through that. Also 2X, a little scent doesn't hurt. Just put a few drops into your ziplock (I use krill oil sometimes) where store them. When one gets tired just throw it back in the back. Also, a scented roe ball is a great addition to a thumbnail size spin and glo combo on the highwater/blown-out days... fished in about two feet of water.   
Spin N Glos <3

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 03:19:57 PM »

I dont know about 'hating' on roe bags, but fishermen that choose loose roe over sacs or vice versa usually cite some sort of advantage with it. ie it looks more natural, it milks better, you get better hooksets,  etc

I also prefer sacs mostly for the convenience, and having spent lots of time fishing alongside loose roe users, I cant say one is clearly more effective than the other. They both work. More fish are caught on loose roe because more people use loose roe.

All these perceived advantages are probably not that significant as far as the fish are concerned and this thread clearly shows that lots of people have plenty of success with sacs and it's certainly not preventing people from catching fish.

It doesn't have to be pretty, I can tell you that my roe bags look so good but don't understand why it is that my buddy hooks a lot when his bags look like a tiny pouch full of crushed sugary singles.

I like this observation because it shows how something that might look 'good' to you or me may not matter much if at all to the fish. Pin-nook's friends success despite not having nice round perfectly tied sacs probably suggests that particular aspect may not be that important or is insignificant relative to other things like scent/colour/drift.