Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coquitlam River  (Read 18876 times)

A Frayed Knot

Re: Coquitlam River
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 11:59:37 AM »

Good on ya community!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:02:48 PM by A Frayed Knot »
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 06:18:17 PM »

Not to thread jack but... This bugs me when people give out bad info.

The way it works for Region 2 is that if a stream is not listed you may fish salmon but may not retain them. If you are not allowed to target salmon or a particluar species of salmon then the stream is listed in the supplment stating, for example, "no fishing for salmon" or "no fishing for coho".

I'd like you to explain where it states this in the regulations. Because it clearly states...

"There is no fishing for salmon in Region 2 except for the opportunities listed in the table below."
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.htm

That means NO FISHING, not NO RETENTION. :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 06:22:48 PM by Flytech »

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 07:03:01 PM »

Apologies for hijacking the hijack

but on a side note the Coquitlam is listed.

Coquitlam River       Coho   Oct 01-Dec 31   1 hatchery marked fish per day.
Chinook   Apr 01-Jun 30   No fishing for chinook.
Jul 01-Mar 31    1 per day.

Not that it matters at all in the scope of this thread.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 08:46:57 PM »

Still all valid points I think with the direction the thread took.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

clujalolo

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2015, 07:38:14 PM »

just for your info: the sockeye run has died...they get a total of 2-3 sockeye that came up a few years ago. haven't heard much lately and basically they truck the sockeye up over the dam. theres a vid of a sockeye from the coquitlam on youtube. the river has problems because of the gravel pits and ALOT has been done to reduce the silt in the water. the runs are still small but we gotta remember, its a small river, it wont fit the amount of fish the vedder sees. From what natives say, the sockeye run was so big the river was just red. when the first dam went up it was only like 10ft high and had a fish ladder so the run didn't get effected to much. When the big dam went up it destroyed it completely.

There is a lot of effort to restore the river but will never be the same because of the reduced water level due to the dam. its a neat little river that I have ties to (lived in coquitlam for most of my life)  The coho run is still small only in the 3000's from last I heard but nothing I know for sure. 

Heres the vide of the sockeye: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgNXhJnRQQ4
Im sorry for my terrible writing, im all over the place lol

likely

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 04:49:50 PM »

next season if anyone gets a chance go fish it for steelhead after a rain fall its great

Danny21

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 07:24:01 PM »

next season if anyone gets a chance go fish it for steelhead after a rain fall its great

... ::) ..... :-\

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 07:38:27 PM »

Fishing the coquitlam for steelheads is productive 1 out of 100times. I personally wouldn't recommend it.
1. the only chance at cathing one is fishing near the hatchery.
2. you have a chnace of being eaten by a bear
3. the fish are usually spawning when there up there.

If you really want to catch steelhead a 60 min drive to the vedder may be more effective and respectful to the endagered river

clujalolo

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 10:05:27 PM »

This is true.  But hearing from locals the run this year was actually better most years.  Never had any success and to be honest I have never seen a steelhead to be pulled out of that river not even a picture lol just 'stories'  it's nice to hear though that it is recovering and fish are increasing in numbers.  I'd love to see the sockeye run to make a comeback.  Obviously not in the numbers it was but to be a decent run closed to fishing.  Love when they turn red.  Gives the river a nice color. 

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 10:29:49 PM »

I wish that one day the coquitlam river would be closed to fishing and just be a river to amuse the fish like weaver creek channel.

Burbot

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2015, 07:58:16 PM »

I wish one day the dam comes down and the river can be returned to normal...

salmonlander

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2015, 11:37:48 PM »

where will you get your water from? if the dam is removed?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2015, 07:35:30 AM »

water from Coquitlam Lake is diverted to Buntzen and piped over the mountain to a generating station on Indian Arm. Long term we wil have water supply issues in the GVRD

https://www.bchydro.com/energy-in-bc/our_system/generation/our_facilities/lower_mainland.html

if it was ever possible to get that water back there would be enough water both for the Coquitlam and for drinking water
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

firebird

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2015, 04:35:40 PM »

I once saw a proposal to use Harrison Lake as a Metro Vancouver water supply. I think it was not feasible at this time due to the massive costs of the infrastructure to deliver it. Maybe there is faint hope that one day the Capilano and Seymour dams can come down - possibly the Coquitlam too but it's BC Hydro's dam, not Metro Vancouver's.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2015, 05:12:19 PM »

RalphH:  I have read with interest your historical perspective contribution to this and other threads.  I find your histories really great and although that information is out there to be found, it would be tremendous if you were to put your extensive knowledge in the record by writing a fish history of the LM streams.  Apart from being of interest to sports fishers there is always a need for an historical perspective for new professional researchers.