Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis River, October 28th 2014  (Read 11746 times)

Tenz85

Re: Chehalis River, October 28th 2014
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 06:33:51 AM »

I'm confused Rod. If you are cool about fishing reports why was mine removed last year again? Gravel pit one.

Like yourself I put effort into my postings. That particular one involved a couple of hours of work at home on the computer editing pics/maps/info.
That post is dead. Let it rest in peace.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2014, 08:03:19 AM »

I'm confused Rod. If you are cool about fishing reports why was mine removed last year again? Gravel pit one.

Like yourself I put effort into my postings. That particular one involved a couple of hours of work at home on the computer editing pics/maps/info.

I keep hearing the song "LET IT GO" (from Frozen) - my daughters keep singing it over and over!  In fact, tonight they're going out as Elsa and Anna!  So here's an idea for you dennisK.  Do up a post with a map, directions, and photos to your home, and I'll bring my girls over to Trick or Treat and sing you this song!!!  I think the majority of members here will fully agree!

Happy Halloween Everybody!!!   :)

kevzabob

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2014, 09:41:43 AM »

That's pretty funny, a lot of guys on here need to listen to that song. Let it go

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 05:43:41 PM »

You can be as secretive as you want in your fishing report posts. I used to  work at a very popular tackle shop. We and and all the other shops send hundreds of guys to all the rivers. Shop staff have be known to draw very detailed maps with an X to mark the proverbial spot to stand on. There's a lot of resources out there to find out where to fish. Social media is a prime place to start. Parked cars on the side of the road are a dead giveaway. You can hang out in a  tackle shop  and eavesdrop or get another customer to loosen his lips. Everyone has a success fishing story that they want to share,its our ego,its human nature.
It ain't the roe bro'

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2014, 06:07:05 PM »

You can be as secretive as you want in your fishing report posts. I used to  work at a very popular tackle shop. We and and all the other shops send hundreds of guys to all the rivers. Shop staff have be known to draw very detailed maps with an X to mark the proverbial spot to stand on. There's a lot of resources out there to find out where to fish. Social media is a prime place to start. Parked cars on the side of the road are a dead giveaway. You can hang out in a  tackle shop  and eavesdrop or get another customer to loosen his lips. Everyone has a success fishing story that they want to share,its our ego,its human nature.

This is what a lot of us have been saying, people don't realise "there" spot, is already out there to hundreds of others. People just may not being able to fish all the time so maybe thats why it seems like no ones around or so few people or the most likely case they hike around working the river like a good fisherman should be doing anyway. But most don't anymore, especially if you watch places like the Ved or Chehalis, they find a whole and practically move in for the rest of the day and work it to death or nothings left and all we're all guilty of that time to time.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

CohoOn!

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 07:02:16 PM »

When you can never again find a spot to fish again without having "the rippers" on all sides of you think back to your need for "The Glory" and you'll know why. 
Long May Yer Big Jib Draw!

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 08:33:32 PM »

i guess its easy to blame fwr reports section for all the mess on the rivers today. i really havent had a problem finding new spots to fish on the vedder at all.....sometimes im only one there....just takes alot of hiking and reading water. i wont post that in the reports but will state upper or lower river. as for crowds its been the same every year sometimes less and were going back late 90's. But i also meet new friends on the river as well and i avoid the bottom bouncers in the canal so it balances out for me. Ive met Rod and Nina a few times as well on the flow. If you dont like crowds then go fish in december..........lots of parking everywhere.

We all like the rivers we fish in BUT we dont own the rivers. They belong to the governments as well as the fish in there. We buy licenses to have a privilege to fish them. Don't expect to be the only one out there during peak season. Social media is relatively new but the crowds have been there for decades.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2014, 10:10:02 PM »

i guess its easy to blame fwr reports section for all the mess on the rivers today. i really havent had a problem finding new spots to fish on the vedder at all.....sometimes im only one there....just takes alot of hiking and reading water. i wont post that in the reports but will state upper or lower river. as for crowds its been the same every year sometimes less and were going back late 90's. But i also meet new friends on the river as well and i avoid the bottom bouncers in the canal so it balances out for me. Ive met Rod and Nina a few times as well on the flow. If you dont like crowds then go fish in december..........lots of parking everywhere.

We all like the rivers we fish in BUT we dont own the rivers. They belong to the governments as well as the fish in there. We buy licenses to have a privilege to fish them. Don't expect to be the only one out there during peak season. Social media is relatively new but the crowds have been there for decades.

You are right, fishing is a privilege.A little sad how this has degraded, like high school drama.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 04:31:28 PM by A Frayed Knot »
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

fishfinder

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2014, 10:42:51 PM »

I have fished the Chehalis since the early 80's and it was way more crowded than it is now. There was no internet fishing reports or cellphones then. Chehalis was a November fishery so when the Vedder fishing was waning late October every single guy who fished the Vedder/Chilliwack would then go to the Chehalis. It was crazy busy. And I can tell you that there were WAY more snaggers back then compared to today. I am glad the river blew straight through the Easter Seal. Now the river has fewer classic coho runs, but there are way fewer people fishint it. All you have to do is to learn how to fish different runs/conditions and you'll still get lots of fish. You have to get out of your comfort zone. Since the river straightened I have not seen one person bottom bouncing. I've always fished among short floaters and anyone trying to deliberately snag fish usually got tuned in pretty quickly. Don't blame the OP for sharing. Chehalis is not a secret river.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2014, 08:23:46 AM »

I have fished the Chehalis since the early 80's and it was way more crowded than it is now. There was no internet fishing reports or cellphones then. Chehalis was a November fishery so when the Vedder fishing was waning late October every single guy who fished the Vedder/Chilliwack would then go to the Chehalis. It was crazy busy. And I can tell you that there were WAY more snaggers back then compared to today. I am glad the river blew straight through the Easter Seal. Now the river has fewer classic coho runs, but there are way fewer people fishint it. All you have to do is to learn how to fish different runs/conditions and you'll still get lots of fish. You have to get out of your comfort zone. Since the river straightened I have not seen one person bottom bouncing. I've always fished among short floaters and anyone trying to deliberately snag fish usually got tuned in pretty quickly. Don't blame the OP for sharing. Chehalis is not a secret river.

Well put...

burnaby

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2014, 08:57:29 AM »

Looks like the Vedder/October, Chehalis/Nov secret is out. Dam these internet reports  ???

kevzabob

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2014, 10:48:49 AM »

Is there a water meter for the chehalis like the vedder.
It's funny to see the haters on here. I just love going to a hole where someone is fishing and asking nicely if I a May fish in, to just get a dirty look. I've found though if you walk 10- 15 min from your car your on your own. Hope I didn't give to big of a report.
Spoons seem to be working well now to

odie

• I Fish ... therefore, I am.
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2014, 12:06:42 PM »

Been a member for years but usually just follow along and enjoy the posts/rants ... this one seems to sum it up ;-)

In general Vedder/Chehalis, you just need to walk 5-10 min to get away from the crowds.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2014, 01:45:07 PM »

Been a member for years but usually just follow along and enjoy the posts/rants ... this one seems to sum it up ;-)

In general Vedder/Chehalis, you just need to walk 5-10 min to get away from the crowds.

Agreed, walkings good for ya anyway.