Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waders  (Read 12468 times)

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: Waders
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 08:02:26 AM »

which model of Frogg Togg waders where you supplied to test? I think there are at least 4 current models ranging from$110 to $225.

Other brands to consider would include Patagonia,which ship from their store in Toronto and have a Canadian website, and Dan Bailey's.

When it comes right down to it the Simms Guide waders are about the only wader I have heard unreserved good things about. I'd add Seatux Neoprenes  for anyone in that market. $500 isn't that much money not much more than moderate $ rods and pretty comparable for other consumer items (ie a large screen LED TV)

Used the Pilot S/F Breathable waders, and the Hellbenders S/F Guide pant. I enjoyed the guide pants the most as I rarely wade past my thighs, and to have the freedom of no chest portion was nice. Super comfortable, and made it very easy to relieve yourself in the bush. ;) I think they have a higher end guide pant now.

As for the Dan Bailey brand, I've heard nothing but bad things from others. I have not tried myself though. Have you owned a pair?

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 08:07:21 AM »

With frogg toggs make sure the model has handwarmers!  A couple friends of mine have a set and I havent seen any handwarmers built into them.

Their coats come with the hand warmer spots. The waders I tried didn't have them, but both coats did.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 08:08:23 AM »

Understood. Thanks for clarifying and not calling me a d!ck ;) I totally get the affordability/family budget. For years my purchases of fishing assets (rods, waders..) came out of my fishing fund. And my fishing fund only acquired revenue from Christmas and birthday. My family became very familiar with cash presents for clarki's fishing fund!

Exactly, not everyone is close to or retired without a mortgage, or big income without a family. I didn't call you a dick, cause you weren't being a dick. ;) I call it like I see it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 08:11:04 AM by Flytech »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2014, 08:13:10 AM »

As for the Dan Bailey brand, I've heard nothing but bad things from others. I have not tried myself though. Have you owned a pair?

No but I have heard the opposite, but that's typical eh? :)
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2014, 12:16:09 PM »

I have heard similar advice from anglers who spend a lot more days in waders than me. Basically it goes buy 2 pairs of cheap breathables and a tube of aquaseal. So that's what I did. Now they weren't Frogg Toggs and I don't have any experience with them but my 2 cheap waders cost me well over $200 and didn't last a year even though I wore neoprene in the cold months. My Chotas had the leg seam separate while I was fishing - I spent the day soaked and my Columbia's developed leaks through the entire length of the crotch seam - both left and right. Neither could be fixed with a single tube of Aquaseal. I could have used that money for a good pair of Simms. I bought a pair of G3s which are expensive but I could have just jumped straight to the G3s which are the best waders I have ever owned as far as reliability goes. Talk to some of the shop owners - people use them for 10 years and more and maybe just replace the feet. I you fish 35 to 50 times a year you will likely replace your Frogg Toggs every year. Do the math. Buying some of the less expensive Simms are probably a better deal in the long term.

I am one of those guys that would much rather spend less money on more, then drop a whole bunch of money on one product.

I easily fish 200 days a year, if it's a slow year, up to 300 on years where I am getting out lots. I had a pair of Frogg Toggs hellbender waders for 2.5 years (put nearly 700 trips on them), and to be honest, they were the best waders I ever had. They have an extremely nice fit, and don't degrade. I would highly endorse the brand. I got that experience for a grand total of 129.99 USD (back when the brand was starting out). I have gone through nearly every cheap brand on the market - Frogg Toggs are the only ones I would recommend.

I have since moved to Redington Sonic pro waders. Super nice fit, but had some problems. Already warrantied them once due to foot issues. I dropped over $300 on them, could have bought 2 pairs of Frogg Toggs to last me ~5 years, or $300 on these Redington's which lasted 8 months, and then I had to wait a month for waders (luckily it was the summer so I could wet wade). Once these Redington waders die on me, I'll be back on the Frogg Togg wagon with a tube of aquaseal if I need it (which I never really did).

I've had the same debates with people over jackets. Why would I drop $300+ on a Simms jacket. Sure that jacket may have lasted them 7 years for their fishing, but I guarantee it wouldn't last more than 3 years with what I do to my gear. Walk backwards through salmon berries that can hold you up when you jump at them - then come back and tell me how long that jacket lasted. I can grab a Frogg Toggs for 50 bucks that I have no problems replacing every year. Beat it to death, and replace. Each one has lasted a year, so 3 years = $150 bucks, heck even 6 years of jackets is still cheaper than the Simms one or another comparable brand, and I don't feel as bad when I trash the cheaper jacket.