Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Long Poling at Rice Lake June 29th  (Read 6824 times)

lj47

• Work is for those that do not know how to fish.
Re:Long Poling at Rice Lake
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2004, 04:54:49 PM »

Thanks for the tips!!

Is early morning better or evening?  

(For less bears and better fishing)

otto

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2004, 05:02:06 PM »

Thanks for the tips!!

the lake can weird due to the feeding habits of the hatchery trout..... generally tho, early morn, or evening is the best. the best time is about half an hour after a rainstorm, when the water is dead calm and the rain has stopped.........

also carry a FOX 40 whistle with you. if you get a bear "near" you, a couple of sharp blasts will/should scare it away and alert others that someone is in need of help...........universal sign for help is 3 rifle shots or three signal fires, three flare blasts or three whistle blasts etc......you can also check the hunting regs or the RCMP office for rules on firearms carry for bear protection...............

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2004, 05:04:26 PM »

Thanks for the tips!!

I have not done mornings (ask Otto), but after 6 PM is BEAUTIFUL there, and productive.

If you in the morning, the gates open at 6 AM (I asked).  Also note that gates close at 9 PM.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2004, 05:10:54 PM »

How far from Gate to Lake?

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2004, 05:13:40 PM »

How far from Gate to Lake?

10 minutes walk, or take your bike.  Then you can stay late and not worry about gate closing (I saw a couple of youngsters doing this).

Bantam_50

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2004, 08:49:47 PM »

Good read Rosco. I see folks using 7 meter rods in the Sumas Canal for trout and coarse fish. Interesting way to fish ! Fishing around bears is always exciting. Keeps your neck limber swiveling side to side, especially when you are fishing areas like the Atnarko River near Bella Coola amongst the grizzlies. Just a caution about your comment on using dragon fly nymphs for bait in a lake. Page 9 of Provincial Regs re "Aquatic Invertebrates"....when fishing at a lake, you may not possess or use freshwater invertebrates for bait.
I'm pretty sure dragon fly nymphs are invertebrates. Correct me if I'm wrong !  ;D

Among them?...you mean feeling the hairs on the back of your neck rise, when you part the foilage on the bear trails, while hiking to the next hole and just about step on one.  :o

otto

Re:Long Poling at Rice Lake June 29th
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2004, 11:14:06 AM »

so if you can't use aqautic invertabrates for bait, can you use non aqautic insects such as moths, catepillars, carpenter ants etc????