Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Long Poling at Rice Lake June 29th  (Read 6823 times)

ocean_going

• fish on
Re:Long Poling at Rice Lake
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2004, 10:36:02 PM »

cool show,  but was it Real? i believe it,     but   scrappinn with a bear is not my kind of  fun!!! ::)

FishKid

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2004, 10:41:36 PM »

Yeah, bears are dangerous, even the young ones.  Do Grizzly bears ever come down that far?

otto

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2004, 10:42:58 PM »

yes the night was real  >:(  (there is a bear warning in the area for two young male bears frequenting the lake and trails).  so was the bear. so was the trout that rosco pulled out with his new longpole. (no trout for me but many bites!!!!) .  and so what if i comfortable around dangerous animals? i'd rather go out of this world happily fishing and fighting a bruin to the death than getting pasted in the crosswalk by a suv with a cell phoned driver behind the wheel or dying old with someone else cleaning me.

FishKid

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2004, 10:44:24 PM »

Good points otto ;D

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2004, 11:10:22 PM »

Wow,
I was goona go at 6AM tomorrow - by myself.  Guess I am not going at that time anymore.  I will go when there are others... probably 5 PM or so.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't wanna end up bear food.  Where do you get bear repellant? Wallmart?

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2004, 11:35:36 PM »

I presume you reported this little incident to the park ranger?   They need to put a warning sign up to say "don't stay with your fish" or something like that.  I am a newbie, and this was totally news to me.

otto

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2004, 01:05:11 AM »

yea the parks guys know about it. i also just got a shipment of seal bombs AKA "bear bangers". next bear that gets too close and doesnt leave when i make noise etc, gets a flash/bang to spook it off.

Lew Chater

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2004, 08:28:54 AM »

Good read Rosco. I see folks using 7 meter rods in the Sumas Canal for trout and coarse fish. Interesting way to fish ! Fishing around bears is always exciting. Keeps your neck limber swiveling side to side, especially when you are fishing areas like the Atnarko River near Bella Coola amongst the grizzlies. Just a caution about your comment on using dragon fly nymphs for bait in a lake. Page 9 of Provincial Regs re "Aquatic Invertebrates"....when fishing at a lake, you may not possess or use freshwater invertebrates for bait.
I'm pretty sure dragon fly nymphs are invertebrates. Correct me if I'm wrong !  ;D
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2004, 09:10:27 AM »

you guys are wimps. i took down a fullgrown grissley with my bare hands and my sheer will to live.
weeeeeeeeeow!

Rosco P. COHOtrane

• The rivers are calling and I must go...
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2004, 09:34:07 AM »

I think you're right Lew Chater.   :-[   :-[

Won't happen again.

Regarding the bear, I felt quite privileged having an experience like that. I do lots of hiking and am very cognizant of the fact that I may encounter bears when out on the local trails near my house. However, I have only seen a bear once when hiking and to see one at my favourite fishing hole was a real treat!
We've encroached into THEIR stompin grounds and as guests,we should give them all the space they need...unless of course he tries to maul/eat me, then that's when I pull out the lever action Marlin 1895 GS chambered for 45/70 Gov't.   ;D  ;D

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2004, 12:28:49 PM »

IAfter about an hour on the docks, we decided to try our luck on the island so we packed up our things and headed there. A kid with a minnow net caught a dragonfly nymph and asked if I wanted it for bait so I said sure and put it on my hook.

I re-baited and this time put a small split shot 4" from my hook and extended my line into the water.  After a few hits and misses and re-baiting, I realised how quick on the draw I had to be with this new fishing technique.  The sun was setting and the trouts were starting to get active!
fish:

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/showphoto.php?photo=24713&size=big&password=&sort=1&thecat=502

Thanks Otto. That was fun!        

Upon reading the sportfishing regs, I see that using live dragonfly nymphs for bait is illegal and considered poaching. Amazing how many people don't follow the regs when sport fishing. So with such a post talking about this, can Roscoe be charged with breaking the regs? Roscoe has admitted to breaking the law. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Rosco P. COHOtrane

• The rivers are calling and I must go...
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2004, 01:14:48 PM »

Upon reading the sportfishing regs, I see that using live dragonfly nymphs for bait is illegal and considered poaching. Amazing how many people don't follow the regs when sport fishing. So with such a post talking about this, can Roscoe be charged with breaking the regs? Roscoe has admitted to breaking the law. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I can admit when I'm wrong and feel $hitty about breaking the law.  :-[   :-[  :-[
At the time, I didn't think much of it. Just figured it was like using a worm or another insect. I used artificial stuff after that and that is how I caught my fish that evening.
Now I know and it will not happen again. Sorry guys.

Yeah I could be charged and ignorance of the regs is no excuse.  :-[  :-[  :-[
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 01:17:59 PM by Rosco P. COHOtrane »

lj47

• Work is for those that do not know how to fish.
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2004, 03:02:19 PM »

As a new fisherman, does flaot fishing produce any results on this lake? How about spincasting with a spoon?

Crazy story about the bear! I've heard they will keep th egate closed if there is persistent threats from bears and cougars.

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2004, 04:16:07 PM »

As a new fisherman, does flaot fishing produce any results on this lake? How about spincasting with a spoon?

Crazy story about the bear! I've heard they will keep th egate closed if there is persistent threats from bears and cougars.

Spoon, I would not think so (anyone?).  Bait fishing with a float is excellent.  Close to the pier is actually productive!

otto

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2004, 04:17:24 PM »

you guys are wimps. i took down a fullgrown grissley with my bare hands and my sheer will to live.

do tell us the story FISHER..........i too have had my share of wild animal attacks

as for ROSCO using a dragonfly nymph that a kid gave him out of his dipnet, in all honesty he used it for about 8 seconds before it was gone. He has since been informed that you can't use aqautic insects that you find at the lake. does'nt matter anyways, we both have an excellent selection of dragonfly nymph fly patterrns that look better than the real thing.

everybody on this forum has made a mistake like this at one point or another in their fishing history. to be honest, i did not know either that this was against the regs. now i do. so does Rosco, he made a little booboo and it wont happen again.

in any case the wrath should be directed at the guy who has systematically depleted the trout in that lake, by catching 20+ fish a day with treble hooks and set lines. too bad the bear we chased away did'nt give that guy a scare!!!!
  8)

FLYNUT.....float fishing works excellent in this lake....use light tackle (2 - 4 lb test line, tiny floats, #10 - #14 hooks)  or grab your flyrod and sink a line down to the bottom with a dragonfly nymph or leech pattern..........the weirdest fly i used in this lake was a streamer flyhook, covered in dark drab green thick wool thread, wrapped in thin copper wire....bagged loads of trout with that one in the 2002 season..... 8)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 04:47:27 PM by otto »