Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burrard Inlet  (Read 12428 times)

A Frayed Knot

Burrard Inlet
« on: October 24, 2014, 08:24:12 PM »

So, in another thread the Cheak came up, and I know what happened to that river and I know after that Burrard Inlet had a pretty big one during construction I think it was, hit a pipeline. Anyway has it been just the one? I thought there was two.

Has anyone ever bothered to fish it?

I seem to recall it tends to get quite low when the tides out. And most of the fishing I remember doing was from boat
up the Indian but I have no idea if wildlife population has gotten any better since then?

I still kayak and used to  camp up around Coldwell beach or wherever I could safely park my mobile home. (tent)
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

TimL

Re: Burrard Inlet
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 11:21:17 PM »

Yes there were 2, one in 2007 and the other in 2009. I was out of town during both times the spills happened so I never got to witness the full extent of the impact on the marine life in the inlet. I have shore fished extensively off Belcarra regional park for quite a few seasons now, mainly for bottom fish and perch and it seems like (this is probably more anecdotal than factual) based on my catch records from this year compared to 2-3 years ago, the fish are on the rebound. I'm seeing increasing numbers of rockfish (incidental captures and releases) in areas that only a few years ago had none, which is a good sign. Also perch (striped sea perch) and greenling are becoming more abundant around the rocky outcrops. Not that many salmon around..although I'm guessing during a pink year, you should see more.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 11:52:51 PM »

The Burnaby pipeline release adversely impacted a number of creeks, most notably cask and heavily oiled the foreshore on the south side of Burrard Inlet.  Although some oiling was observed on the north side from Maplewaood Flats to Cates and across to Bellcarra, there were no measurable impacts to aquatic fauna and flora.  Sediment remediation was required on the south side and replanting of some flora.  There was also measurable contamination in mussels, however these levels are declining.  No impacts (depending on your viewpoint) were identified in higher trophic species such as fin fish, birds and mammals (apart for one or two oiled birds and a seal during the intial event).  Salmon stocks were not impacted impacted by the 2009 spill.  Salmon counts at the top end of Indian Arm have been very health for the past few years. 

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 01:20:48 AM »

Thats good to know, I know its pretty late in the season I thinking about it and I may see if I can try fishing from my kayak this summer. Since the winter season is basically wrapping up for me until about mid Jan.
Without a small motor though i can't see myself paddling fast enough to actually get a worthwhile troll going. I suppose if I used some kinda fly pattern maybe but thats a big if.

I wondered about the stock because I seen a lot less seals in the burrard and usually they are around if the fish are there, I don't even see the otters anymore.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 07:14:06 AM »

there should be some chum going up the arm but haven't seen any jumping yet.

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 06:03:22 PM »

Was there for a walk today saw so many chum salmon jump and most of them were chrome. :D :D

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 06:28:15 PM »

Nice! I don't have a tidal :( might be fun to cruise around in my kayak and troll some flies!

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 07:22:49 PM »

saw chum today off cates park mid water.

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 09:01:32 PM »

Nice! I don't have a tidal :( might be fun to cruise around in my kayak and troll some flies!

The chum might capsize your kayak  ;D ;D ;D

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 06:34:04 AM »

Nah, I've used the kayak for other fisheries already :D mostly open ocean over on the island for springs. But its not even really designed for fishing, its for camping, so its signed to carry about  3 weeks of camping gear, where the cup holder is I managed to fashion a rod holder and it clips underneath but it kinda sits at a high angle ;/ its abit 50 degree angle I feel like it should be sitting much lower. Easier to patter for sure.

ride604

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 11:14:03 PM »

Went chum hunting this morning after reading this thread.  Ran from Cates Park to Indian River and back but no surface signs.  Beautiful day though, lots of seals and birds to be seen out there.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 08:54:32 AM »

Yeah I am not sure if to much will left out there at this point but the seals are  good sign. They might be chasing something worth while!

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 05:59:40 PM »

Was near Rocky Point In port moody went for the shoreline walk. There was so many chum jumping there that I was gonna drive home to get my gear.
Saw some men catching and releasing chum salmon that were fairly bright. Are you aloud to fish around there ?

ride604

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 06:54:57 PM »

Nothing in the regs to indicate otherwise, if weather permits Saturday I will give everything upstream of Second Narrows another look and report back.

Canuck

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 10:43:19 PM »

I think I'm going to give it a try this weekend around Barnett, does anyone know whats best for targeting them?