Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: After you kill your catch.  (Read 8778 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
After you kill your catch.
« on: October 21, 2014, 05:32:06 PM »

How long after you kill a fish will it be good for if you are not able to get it on ice right away. I know summer is a different game, but im talking during the fall months and out of water? Was woundering
The Bigger The Better!

Humpy

Re: After you kill your catch.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 05:50:24 PM »

A couple of hours was fine for my chum doe. Putting it in the water may help.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Ry the fly guy

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 06:34:36 PM »

I left a 15 pound coho on the rocks for an hour and it tasted awesome.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 08:17:18 PM »

your catch should be fine for a typical day of fishing as long as the best is done to keep it that way. Putting it in the water is the one of the less desirable things to do. It will actually raise the temperature of your catch more than air will because heat energy will transfer more readily from the water to the flesh than from air. Submerging it in water allows the meat to absorb water which makes it swell and get soft. Keep fish moist. Evaporation uses heat energy and will remove it from your catch. Keep it in the shade, in cool moist grass or in a burlap sack. Don't leave it in the sun. I remember when I was a kid and went bar fishing in the summer with my father. We put our catch in a plastic bag and buried it in the sand, dug it up when we left and it was cool and fresh. There are other ways of putting your fish in a make shift cache like that.

Clean the fish as soon as possible particularly if it has been actively feeding before it was killed.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

ajransom

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 08:27:34 PM »

Just plan ahead...

Take a cooler and fill it with ice before your head out. Leave it in the back of your car with a couple of beers. If you catch a nice fish, clean it and put in on ice straight away.

If you don't... At least you have a cold beer ready for you :-)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 09:12:49 PM »

Putting it in the water is the one of the less desirable things to do. It will actually raise the temperature of your catch more than air will because heat energy will transfer more readily from the water to the flesh than from air. Submerging it in water allows the meat to absorb water which makes it swell and get soft. Keep fish moist.

I see people putting their fish in the water all the time.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 09:19:29 PM »

Two observations from fishing/other stuff.

1: Dead fish in water tend to get soft, bloated and disgusting.

2. Dead fish on shore tend to get crusty,  sun dried and if stepped on disgusting.

Moral of the story.

Fish dead for a few days in either location will be disgusting.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 09:42:01 PM »

I see people putting their fish in the water all the time.

from:http://flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/can319.php

there is one practice that should always be avoided: Never, ever, place live fish on stringers. The stress of being caught then dragged around in the warmer surface water is often enough to do them in, and once a fish dies the flesh starts absorbing water through osmosis. Immediately! For this same reason, dead fish—uncleaned or cleaned—should never be stored in water.

heat energy (usually measured as calories or joules) transfer far easier from water to other object easier and faster than it can from water air. What's more even though water may be colder than air it will hold more heat energy. This is basic physics.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:19:54 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 10:03:08 PM »

I keep mine in a moist burlap coffee bean sack...always have. Works well for the 3-4 hour outing I go on this time of year for fall salmon.

Putting it on ice right away isn't an option if you are good walking distance away from your vehicle

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 10:23:38 PM »

From my experience, keeping the fish in a wet burlap sack will keep it fine for several hours.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 11:13:34 PM »

for this time of the year there's nothing wrong with keeping your catch on a stringer along the side of a free running river like the Vedder...for those who think otherwise, try standing in the water bare footed and see how long you last.

sugartooth

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 11:40:45 PM »

Fish are cold blooded and their body temperature mirrors that of the water they are in. There for if you place your fish in a plastic bag and submerge it in the river it will not absorb water and it will remain the same temperature as the water.

sugartooth

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 11:52:41 PM »

from:http://flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/can319.php

heat energy (usually measured as calories or joules) transfer far easier from water to other object easier and faster than it can from water. What's more even though water may be colder than air it will hold more heat energy. This is basic physics.

this makes no sense. 

Aurora

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 05:32:11 AM »

Fish are cold blooded and their body temperature mirrors that of the water they are in. There for if you place your fish in a plastic bag and submerge it in the river it will not absorb water and it will remain the same temperature as the water.
I would reconsider putting fish in bag before submerging it.  It would be difficult to remove all the air thus the air pockets will trap heat especially if it is sunny.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 06:55:57 AM »

From my experience, keeping the fish in a wet burlap sack will keep it fine for several hours.

I rely on this too.