Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: spinning reel maintenance  (Read 4108 times)

Tenz85

spinning reel maintenance
« on: November 08, 2014, 09:30:14 PM »

Juat greased the gears and oiled the bearings on my symetre 4000. Found it was fairly rough after putting everything back together. Noticed a had to tinker with the screws that enclosed the gear housing to get the gears to run smooth. Too lose and it would woble but too tight and it would lock up. It's a little concerning that the screws aren't tight and could fall off, get lost or worst cause me grief on the water. Guess I will have to wait and see what happens. 

lightsorcerer

• Leather Fly Fishing Wallets
Re: spinning reel maintenance
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 10:30:50 PM »

To remedy this concern, especially when on the water, may I suggest, Loctite.

http://www.henkelna.com/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797876748289
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 05:48:21 AM »

Juat greased the gears and oiled the bearings on my symetre 4000. Found it was fairly rough after putting everything back together. Noticed a had to tinker with the screws that enclosed the gear housing to get the gears to run smooth. Too lose and it would woble but too tight and it would lock up. It's a little concerning that the screws aren't tight and could fall off, get lost or worst cause me grief on the water. Guess I will have to wait and see what happens.

I don't recommend the use lock tight. It'll do exactly what it says and if you need to get back inside, for any reason like a blown gear or bearing comes out ect, those screws are so fragile, they'll break from torsion and you'll have to do a lot more work to fix it.

Couple of things might be worth looking at, make sure you are not missing any washers or spacers that might help seat the parts together to make it "flush". Also check to make sure the threads aren't damaged. I haven't played with many reels but they aren't exactly crafted with tungsten steels or aluminium alloy allow anything :P so they might be a bit softer than most.

When you are putting the screws back into the reel try putting them in just by hand a little bit until it just bites in, then screw em in one at a time but all together, so do one partly and then do the next... kinda like a tightening sequence for the intake manifold bolts.
This will allow it to sit better and may help.
More likely something is missing or fell out of place and so it's feeling loose.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Tenz85

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 06:41:21 AM »

I don't recommend the use lock tight. It'll do exactly what it says and if you need to get back inside, for any reason like a blown gear or bearing comes out ect, those screws are so fragile, they'll break from torsion and you'll have to do a lot more work to fix it.

Couple of things might be worth looking at, make sure you are not missing any washers or spacers that might help seat the parts together to make it "flush". Also check to make sure the threads aren't damaged. I haven't played with many reels but they aren't exactly crafted with tungsten steels or aluminium alloy allow anything :P so they might be a bit softer than most.

When you are putting the screws back into the reel try putting them in just by hand a little bit until it just bites in, then screw em in one at a time but all together, so do one partly and then do the next... kinda like a tightening sequence for the intake manifold bolts.
This will allow it to sit better and may help.
More likely something is missing or fell out of place and so it's feeling loose.

Good idea. I was very careful not to lose anything. Now that I think of the parts, one of the thin brass washers between the bearing and main gear was warped when pulled it out. Might be the cause. 

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 07:56:56 AM »

When it comes to brass parts, like that always replace them, never reuse the old ones. Its sorta like maintenance on a car, you'll always replace the washers on drain plugs for oil pan, you have to replace the washer every time, because it'll compress down tight and warp, and if you over tighten, it'll leak then you get a mess on the driveway.
I would imagine the principle will still apply to small brass washers and the like with a reel.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

StillAqua

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 05:21:54 PM »

Now that I think of the parts, one of the thin brass washers between the bearing and main gear was warped when pulled it out. Might be the cause.
I assume you're sure it was warped and not a spring washer ?  ??? 

Tenz85

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 08:41:59 PM »

I assume you're sure it was warped and not a spring washer ?  ???
Yeah its warped. I warped it when I pulled the gear out. Collateral damage. Used the reel today. Pulled in a nice coho on a 3/8 fire oranage croc. The reel was working alright but not as smooth as I'd like.