Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 5hp Harrison River  (Read 2141 times)

RG

5hp Harrison River
« on: October 16, 2014, 07:42:58 PM »

Hey,

Just wondering if my 5hp outboard on a 12ft jon is enough for the harrison.  Plan to put in at kilby and head up river.  Don't plan on heading that far up river, there will be two of us.  Enough power?  Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance!

Humpy

Re: 5hp Harrison River
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 07:55:03 PM »

Wondering the same, I have a 9.9 hp and a 12 ft aluminum, any people with experience on if it is safety do able? Thanks guys.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 08:01:54 PM »

The lower part of the river (near the bridge) and the top part of the river harrison mouth down just past Morris is all fine for both those motors. Mid river I haven't been through yet so I can't comment.

whereismyfloat

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 08:38:33 PM »

I run the whole River with my 9.9 on the 12ft Jon. Having said that, you need to be very careful and take your time learning the channels. I never go out in freshet time, but this time of year is generally fine. You need to be careful of the jets too. They can throw a big wake and jons don't have the freeboard. While fishing around Kilby would likely be ok with the 6h, I personally wouldn't go up too much further, especially with two in the boat. The water starts to move faster near the mouth of the Chehalis. There are many areas my short shaft Merc will bottom out, but if you're careful and learn the river, it can be done quite safely. (Make sure you have a proper anchor)

Have fun!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 08:42:32 PM by whereismyfloat »

Humpy

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 08:52:02 PM »

There will be two guys in my 12 ft v hull aluminum and 9.9 hp, launching from kilby and going upriver to the nearest chum bar. I was thinking about following the path of one of the jets.

whereismyfloat

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 08:57:37 PM »

I think you'll be fine Humpy. There are lots of spots for Chum but expect it to be quite busy and also beaching the boat can be an adventure in some areas. But definately doable especially with the V.

Humpy

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 09:02:07 PM »

Ok Thanks, will give it a shot in November.  ;)

fossil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 10:36:42 PM »

No problem. I use my 10ft kayak to fish Harrison river, launch under the bridge and easily head up about 5km.