Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass in the vedder thought I'd share this  (Read 15908 times)

clarkii

• Old Timer
Re: Bass in the vedder thought I'd share this
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 03:04:20 PM »

ive yet to hear of a trout that actively eats spiny ray species. 

I have heard of NPM's in a lake eating perch though.

Walleye76

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 05:49:18 PM »

I grew up in eastern Ontario and fished bass in streams and rivers that froze over solid for six months a year as well as lakes and the St. Lawerence river, (all freeze with min 3 ft thick of ice) so saying bass can't handle the cold water of Vedder just isn't the truth. Also someone said barbot and walleye are great fighters and don't get me wrong I've landed so big walleye (12-16lbs) and ya they are a decent fight but don't compare to any of the pacific salmon species in my opinion.. And the barbot...perch fight more then they do and that's not much... Northern pike and Muskie put up a good fight but they too can come in more like a log then a fish..

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2014, 06:21:29 PM »

I think that common carp amd grass carp fight hardest pound for pound

ive yet to hear of a trout that actively eats spiny ray species. 

I have heard of NPM's in a lake eating perch though.
Since bass would probably spend most of their time in frog water, i think that a wandering bull trout, cutty, or bow of reasonable size could easily wipe a bass nest.
Someone was here

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2014, 07:35:07 PM »

Since bass would probably spend most of their time in frog water, i think that a wandering bull trout, cutty, or bow of reasonable size could easily wipe a bass nest.

Unlike salmonids bass are brood protectors.  Once the eggs are laid the male stays behind to guard it.

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 07:41:48 PM »

Unlike salmonids bass are brood protectors.  Once the eggs are laid the male stays behind to guard it.
But not all of the male bass will be large enough to fend off trout, there are many trout larger than bass in the vedder
Someone was here

sbc hris

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2014, 10:32:15 PM »

I grew up in eastern Ontario and fished bass in streams and rivers that froze over solid for six months a year as well as lakes and the St. Lawerence river, (all freeze with min 3 ft thick of ice) so saying bass can't handle the cold water of Vedder just isn't the truth. Also someone said barbot and walleye are great fighters and don't get me wrong I've landed so big walleye (12-16lbs) and ya they are a decent fight but don't compare to any of the pacific salmon species in my opinion.. And the barbot...perch fight more then they do and that's not much... Northern pike and Muskie put up a good fight but they too can come in more like a log then a fish..

Yes but how warm do those Ontario streams get in the warmer months of summer? The Fraser and tribs just don't warm up enough; with the exception of a few sloughs that the bass have flourished in. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's unlikely that they will flourish, being that they have been in the Fraser drainage for a long time and haven't gotten very far yet.

Ryanx

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2014, 08:02:43 AM »

Infecting/infesting every piece of water that connects to the Fraser is a true tragedy.
I've been fishing our LML and Fraser valley waters for at least a dozen years and the explosion of bass in the last 3/4 years is pretty scary. These fish are not slow to establis themselves and even  flourish in our waters. It may seem like it doesn't make a difference but every bass that is removed from a system could save a hundred/thousands? Of salmon and trout. I'd rather catch a native pikeminow that some invasive bass, even if they both love to chow down on fry...  Maybe the best solution would be to follow the interior and if a bass is found in the water it's closed to fishing. Then  rotenoned. Then restocked with native species. A mandatory catch and kill would be good too!
Or do we all just say screw it!?! If that's the case might as well start planting pike and snake heads too...

Walleye76

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 08:32:19 AM »

Yes but how warm do those Ontario streams get in the warmer months of summer? The Fraser and tribs just don't warm up enough; with the exception of a few sloughs that the bass have flourished in. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's unlikely that they will flourish, being that they have been in the Fraser drainage for a long time and haven't gotten very far yet.

Definitely a bit warmer but not to the extent you might think. Average temp of Vedder in June was 14.9 and average temp of St.lawerence river in June was 16.1... The Ottawa river average temp was 15.9... Mind you these rivers are way bigger the Vedder but the bass thrive in these temps. So if people are under impression it's not a concern cause the bass won't thrive in the Vedder temps... Think again

sbc hris

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2014, 06:34:16 PM »

2 degrees is a fair difference, and how long the streams are warm for also makes a difference. The Vedder might get to 14.9, but it wont be there for long with the freshet we experience here in BC. The "ideal" temp for bass in the Vedder probably only lasts a month or two. Also the structure of the Vedder isn't exactly preffered bass habitat (except maybe the extreme lower reaches). 

sbc hris

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2014, 06:44:08 PM »

Infecting/infesting every piece of water that connects to the Fraser is a true tragedy.
I've been fishing our LML and Fraser valley waters for at least a dozen years and the explosion of bass in the last 3/4 years is pretty scary. These fish are not slow to establis themselves and even  flourish in our waters. It may seem like it doesn't make a difference but every bass that is removed from a system could save a hundred/thousands? Of salmon and trout. I'd rather catch a native pikeminow that some invasive bass, even if they both love to chow down on fry...  Maybe the best solution would be to follow the interior and if a bass is found in the water it's closed to fishing. Then  rotenoned. Then restocked with native species. A mandatory catch and kill would be good too!
Or do we all just say screw it!?! If that's the case might as well start planting pike and snake heads too...

Every bass that is removed could also be about to create thousands of snacks for a hungry cutty or steelhead smolt. People have to be more open minded about this, and think of things from both sides. Lots of people bonk their pikeminnows and chuck em in the woods, but they lived side by side with our more "desirable" species for thousands of years before we came along and started screwing things up. Nature has a way of balancing things, but the almighty mankind thinks that they can do better. We've done a pretty good job so far eh?  :o  keep in mind, that the invasive species that does the most damage x 10000 is us.... If you really want to improve the fishery, start bonking people and chucking them in the river  ::)
Our Native salmon and trout face MUCH bigger problems than a few silly bass that they might just make a snack out of anyways.

I'm not saying it's not a problem, or a concern, but the sky is not falling, and there is nothing we can do about it now, prevention is the only way to fight this sort of thing.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:47:05 PM by sbc hris »

Walleye76

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2014, 04:18:57 PM »

2 degrees is a fair difference, and how long the streams are warm for also makes a difference. The Vedder might get to 14.9, but it wont be there for long with the freshet we experience here in BC. The "ideal" temp for bass in the Vedder probably only lasts a month or two. Also the structure of the Vedder isn't exactly preffered bass habitat (except maybe the extreme lower reaches).
14.9 to 16.1 isn't 2 degrees but regardless, your right it doesn't stay at that temp long, July and Aug were 17.1 and 17.3 respectively with the coldest months being dec and jan at 2.1 and 2.6 and only 3 mths a year coming in under 5 degrees as apposed to the St.lawrence and ottawa rivers which both have 4.5 mths of below zero temps. Your right the Vedder does not have the preferred habitat for bass and in my opinion that is the major reason why the bass have not moved further into the system. Fast water and near non existence of vegitation might be the flows saving grace from it becoming heavily populated w bass.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2014, 05:31:31 PM »

I suggest from Peach Road down, the off channel habitat recently created for coho, pink and chum is very suitable for bass. Check out the massive off channel habitat around the Great Blue Heron Reserve and tell me that's not bass heaven.

I agree, the swifter areas of the Vedder will not likely be bass habitat, but imo, Sweltzer Creek and Cultus Lake will eventually have bass and sunfish populations.

rezak

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2014, 05:34:40 PM »

I do enjoy bass fishing, Small mouth in particular.  I fished them lots in Ontario and the water gets a lot warmer and for way longer  so if theyre in the Vedder, I don't think theyll get very big in the Vedder. The conditions are ideal for them.

prairiefire

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 08:24:16 PM »

They are out there!!!  I caught one on Friday at the mouth of the Stave. Wtf!
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

sbc hris

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2014, 12:08:17 PM »

They are out there!!!  I caught one on Friday at the mouth of the Stave. Wtf!

Silvermere lake (which is plugged full of bass) drains directly into the mouth of the Stave, they are basically directly connected. It's no surprise you caught one. I've caught them all the way up to the dam before, and been catching them in there for over 10 years.