Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass in the vedder thought I'd share this  (Read 15988 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Bass in the vedder thought I'd share this
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 09:46:26 AM »

I think that Judson Lake (a small lake the straddles the border west of Sumas) drains to the Sumas River.

It does not drain to the Sumas.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 11:15:54 AM »

It does not drain to the Sumas.

Hmm, well looking at this map:  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Judson+Lake/@48.9926183,-122.3535057,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x5485b50f1b80978d:0x81de134ddf80b9f2
You can't see any outlet streams, but it is very close (about 1km) from the streams and ditches that drain into the Sumas (via Johnson Creek), but about 3-4 km from the streams that drain into the Nooksack.  I don't know which way it really flows, but I know during major floods it is all connects in that area.

koifish

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 11:48:30 AM »

maybe a bird picked one up and dropped one in the vedder lolol
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:23:50 PM by koifish »

wizard

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 11:53:31 AM »

my bro caught a largemouth bass 12 or 13 inches long in canal area of vedder last week. 
fish was destroyed but it sure seemed healthy, hopefully this is not a trend...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 03:53:48 PM »

Hmm, well looking at this map:  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Judson+Lake/@48.9926183,-122.3535057,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x5485b50f1b80978d:0x81de134ddf80b9f2
You can't see any outlet streams, but it is very close (about 1km) from the streams and ditches that drain into the Sumas (via Johnson Creek), but about 3-4 km from the streams that drain into the Nooksack.  I don't know which way it really flows, but I know during major floods it is all connects in that area.

If you've got Google Earth you can look at Judson close up - there are no apparent outlet or inlet streams.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

vandenhooff

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 07:30:56 PM »

I don't understand why Bass fishing is so popular, nobody eats them and most guys you see just horse them in as fast as they can, so much money spent on equipment, just does't make sense to me!

That's how I feel. They reel them in so fast, tug hard enough to make them skip (i.e. appear like they're jumping). And the gear - you're right again. I'd rather spend my hard earned $$$ on gear that catches something I can BBQ, poach, or smoke. Bass are not for me.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 07:48:43 PM »

Bass aren't actually to bad to eat, I don't think they would be very good on a bbq but when I was out in Penticton we caught a smallmouth without really paying attention, at the time we thought it was just a perch, anyway we were camping so on the skillet it went and it was pretty damn good.
But I tend to enjoy a lot of unique cuisine. Regardless they belong in the mississippi watershed where they belong.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

sbc hris

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 09:44:54 PM »

:o

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2014, 10:19:35 AM »

I've had both Large and Smallmouth, Crappy as well. They are similar to rockfish or snapper. I kind of agree with how they are caught, particularly the large mouths. The few times I have fished for them well they didn't fight like much. Smallmouths are another story.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2014, 12:55:56 PM »

I've had both Large and Smallmouth, Crappy as well. They are similar to rockfish or snapper. I kind of agree with how they are caught, particularly the large mouths. The few times I have fished for them well they didn't fight like much. Smallmouths are another story.
^
             l
I agree i was fish perch with my ultralite then hooked a smallemouth and then all hell broke loose snapped my ultralite ):

pacific flyer

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2014, 08:02:58 PM »

I've caught salmon all my life.. thought i'd try to change it up and catch bass and pikes in other parts of bc, alberta and manitoba.  Result: I'd rather stick to the salmonids and their battle skills.  regardless of fly or gear styles

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2014, 12:44:02 AM »

Between Bass and other species of fish, I would have to say pike are definitely the best fighters, right up there with Chum. Such a scary fish, snatching up ducklings, small frogs and what not. I hear Burbots and Walleye can be pretty feisty.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

pacific flyer

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2014, 10:09:57 PM »

My 2 cents on pike.. they're very aggressive fighters for the first bit, but the fight doesn't last very long.  Chum on the other hand, battle much much longer than the pike..

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 08:33:21 AM »

Grew up in Ontario on the Grand River fishing ever kind of fish that province has to offer.North and south.Pound for pound there is no better fight than smallmouths in fast water. Steelhead are the greatest sport fish in my humble opinion.They outweigh smallies ten to one or more on average though. Not wanting to start a highjack.These bass should be exterminated here with prejudice.
Riverman

sbc hris

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 12:05:42 PM »

My 2 cents on our bass

I wouldn't worry too much about the bass. They fit the same niche as our existing coarse fish species (mostly pimeminnows), and if anything, will just displace a few of them. They don't proliferate in our cold waters, and sure they probably eat a few of our game fish, but guess what? Our game fish eat them too. I don't fish for them, or particularly like them, but tossing the ones you catch into the bush isn't going to make an ounce of difference. But if it makes you feel like a hero, go for it. They're in the Fraser drainage, so they're here to stay.