Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Opinion on putting roe chunks on hook  (Read 10957 times)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: Opinion on putting roe chunks on hook
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 08:50:21 AM »

Hey barklee, when tying your roe knot, how many wraps do you make at the front?  If you increase the number of front wraps, you will reduce the tension, pressure on the roe when it is put in place.  Decrease the number of wraps = higher tension.  You might want to increase the number of front wraps when tying your roe knot and see if this helps.  I generally use 8 wraps in front, followed by 7 behind and I rarely have a problem with roe falling off.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 11:30:36 AM »

Help with my roe chunk. I find that when im plunking and use the egg loop to hold the bait (no spreader bar) just leader to swivel, I find that if I try to cast very hard the egg loop gets so tight and cuts the roe chunk in half then I loose the bait. Any advice?

Is your casting . Practice on your natural casting for long distance. Don't try to pound it out .

barklee

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 02:35:00 AM »

hanks for advice i will try both

vandenhooff

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 08:50:49 AM »

Good tips here:

I have #4 & #6 hooks. After reading above I'm going to give the #4 a shot. 

I also tend to grab the largest piece in the bag. This post has changed my mind.

Not sure I understand exactly how to pass the hook through the roe but I'm going to try that too.

And weight... sounds like I use too much. I use pencil-style lead which I've always wondered about because you can adjust it. Sounds like I'm going back to removable split-shot so I can add or subtract on the fly.

Thanks, informative thread.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 09:46:29 AM »

Try using a small tuft of wood above your roe. The wool may momentarily get caught in their teeth on the take giving u an extra half second or so which may result in a favorable hookset and fish to the beach.  Works for me!

When using wool with roe, are ya'll putting the wool IN the baitloop, or are you tying it to the leader and sliding it down to the hook eye? I find if I have wool in the baitloop then try to back it off to plut around the new roe chunk, often the wool falls out, needs to be adjusted, etc and just pisses me off. I've tried taking a thin strand (about 1/8 thickness of the wool) and pulling off the main strand of yarn and cutting about 3 inches long (if shorter seems too hard to tie in a knot). From here tie to leader and trim to desired length. I like this method better as you can slide the wool up/down the leader when you add a new chunk of roe to the baitloop.

The only downside of this method is it takes longer to rig up that just using the baitloop, so if I snap off a leader I often cant be bothered to fart around with the wool again, esp if it's raining and I have cold hands. In this case I'll just fish the roe with no wool at all.

Curious how others use the roe + wool combo.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »

.....tying TO the baitloop......take the end of the wool(whole strand),tie onto loop ,cut off,trim as needed......no need to cut a piece and fumble with that trying to tie a not....use this knot of wool to grab onto to open the baitloop when re-baiting....... wool with roe is a multi-purpose element ,it is also a visual attractor and  scent holder
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 05:21:40 PM by Spoonman »
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 06:03:30 PM »

Forgive me I don't use baits much, never have the space of it.
But would roe bags not help if you are losing bits from hard casts?or just to help with portion size and keeping it on the hook longer?
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

barklee

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 02:04:49 AM »

Chunks or sacks for coho?

or can you use both: sack on the hook a little chunk on loop.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 11:48:05 AM »

.....tying TO the baitloop......take the end of the wool(whole strand),tie onto loop ,cut off,trim as needed......no need to cut a piece and fumble with that trying to tie a not....use this knot of wool to grab onto to open the baitloop when re-baiting....... wool with roe is a multi-purpose element ,it is also a visual attractor and  scent holder

Interesting! Thanks for that Spoonman. I'm going to try that for sure. I'm just curious what color of wool do you generally go with? I think white would work well as it may look a bit like skien (in other words, natural) with the roe. If the water was colored I would think stepping up to pink, chartreuse, etc.

I probablly have 20+ colors of wool in my ziplock but I find I most often gravitate towards pinks of varying shades, and the odd time ill go dark like black/purple. The oranges and reds etc rarely get used.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 11:51:11 AM »

Forgive me I don't use baits much, never have the space of it.
But would roe bags not help if you are losing bits from hard casts?or just to help with portion size and keeping it on the hook longer?

IMO skien/loose roe generally catches more fish. Just from my observations. I like to use skien roe in the warmer months as I am constantly rinsing my hands off in the river etc. In the WINTER for steelhead I don't bother with it as I find it way too much of a pain removing gloves and messing with yucky roe, rinsing hands in freezing cold water, etc. For steelhead if I'm fishing roe I use sacks exclusively.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 05:49:13 PM »

.......99.9% of the time I use peach/apricot with red hot or orange roe...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:43:19 PM by Spoonman »
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 08:45:58 PM »

I've used tons of different shades and colors of wool but like spoonman I usually end up using peach. To mix things up dont be afraid to throw on something funky like blue. I've landed more coho this fall on blue than any other color put together. It can pay to be bold haha :P Especially when the fish haven't seen that combination before.