Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: new cork handle and reel seat?  (Read 8378 times)

fishman1

new cork handle and reel seat?
« on: October 03, 2014, 09:30:12 AM »

Wondering how easy or hard it is to replace the existing cork handle and reel seat on my drift rod.  It is a Lamiglass GSH 126 2MH.  I want to put a trigger style reel seat on it and also lengthen the rear grip an inch or two.  I'm just not happy the the current configuration.  Can anyone recommend a place I could get this done if its possible?

Here is a pic of the rod.

Thanks

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
Re: new cork handle and reel seat?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 10:07:16 AM »

Brain at Westcoast tackle . Berrysbait tackle. in Vancouver.  Searun and Freds tackle in the lower mainland.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 11:54:31 AM »

Be prepared for sticker shock as that will not be cheap to do  :D

Sr SQ

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 12:36:08 PM »

Be prepared for sticker shock as that will not be cheap to do  :D

Agreed, doing it correctly would require stripping the entire butt section and thats as much work as building a new rod.
You could "cheat" just the lower grip section for the cost of a reel seat, cork and a butt box (if yours isnt salvageable) but unless you can do it yourself and save the labour costs it will be the same +/- a few $$ than you could buy a comparable used rod in the seat configuration you want.
JMO

fishman1

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 03:20:30 PM »

Thanks for the input.  After considering cost etc.  I may just live with it and spend the money on a new rod.  I may build one from scratch.  One can never have too many ;D

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 07:19:15 PM »

...at the very least you would have to get the rod stripped from the ferrule down to bottom of the reel seat and add a couple of rings to the lower and rebuild up from there......Looks like black thread so easy to match/no need to retie top section....the cork is probably the most expensive thing next to the labour maybe a $150 job(?)...blank looks similar to my Lami gc 10-6 mh cp rated 10-20.....sweet blank.....worth the money imo...plans in the back of my mind to totally re-work my factory rod......Mark Light at Valley Custom
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 07:42:24 PM »

Last time I spoke with Mark, about a week ago, he was concentrating on his component business and had no time to build ... check with him first though as he is a first class rod builder.

This build is at least $150 and could be done from the bottom up but most likely the handle would be considered too bulky as the upper cork would have to be reamed to the diameter of the lowest cork at the butt.  Most times these cheaper methods to solve a problem look just that way, cheap, but removing all the butt section guides, hookkeeper, and whatever else is there is often nearly impossible to hide as well ...

Save your money on this rod and have one built to your specifications. 

fishman1

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 12:32:06 PM »

Well I took the plunge on this rod and decided to rebuild the bottom half myself.  I am very pleased with the results.  It did take a fair amount of time and it wasn't cheap but I really enjoyed doing this and now I have a rod I love to use!  I stripped it down and only left the butt cap on the blank, added new cork, reel seat and winding check.  Sanded the cork and rewrapped the guides.  Time consuming but worth it.  Since this was my first rod building foray I also built a cork reamer that fit into my drill, a cork clamp, a couple of rod stands and a power dryer for the flex coat.  I made that out of a BBQ rotisserie.  Here is the final outcome.  Now to get it wet :)

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 12:39:45 PM by fishman1 »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 04:56:35 PM »

Sweet job  8)  Now your'e hooked ..

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 09:50:31 PM »

Very nice, do you have pics of the tools like the power dryer and cork clamp?

fishman1

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 11:07:19 PM »

I'll post a few pics in morning

fishman1

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 03:48:39 PM »

here is the cork clamp.  I put a rod in it for reference. The reamer is there as well.

Dryer using a BBQ rotisserie motor