Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal license recreational  (Read 1408 times)

barklee

Tidal license recreational
« on: October 14, 2014, 02:01:01 AM »

I have a young friend who is fishing tidal without his license when I ask him he showed me his status card. I know about freshwater, natives (first nations) do not need license (recreatonal) as it says on the synopsis but how about tidal waters. I cannot find anything form the DFO website and talking to DFO in area they do not know themselves. Are there any FN on website that can help, some one else said that FN's need to go to their band to get some sort of license/paperwork.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Tidal license recreational
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 06:10:37 AM »

It's a very grey area and from what I gather FOs & COs are reluctant to charge in such circumstances. Authorization fro the band is need to participate in Economic openings but simple angling or food & ceremonial I don't know.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

barklee

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 06:30:19 AM »

thanks Ralph 23 looks still no answer

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 08:30:55 AM »

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/licence-permis/index-eng.html

This is all I found.  I notice it says "all anglers" with no breakdown in re. to natives.

However i can see why they might be lumped inti needing a license.

For example a member of the shuswap band is kinda stretching a claim if they wish to fish tidal.  However at the same time a salish band member would be stretching it on the non tidal (potentially) but they dont require a license in non tidal.

In hindsight i dont think that helped much...