Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alouette river trespassing?  (Read 18800 times)

mythbai

Alouette river trespassing?
« on: September 30, 2014, 12:33:41 PM »

Two of my friends went exploring Alouette river on Saturday. Before he went there he checked regulation making sure it's opened for above 216 St. He said there is a trail near the bridge, but didn't notice a small sign read "no trespassing" before he got in.

Then while he was on the river bank, there is a guy yelling at him from the bridge saying my friends were trespassing and it's prohibited to fish there and there are cameras everywhere for lawsuit, blah blah... My friends packed stuff and left immediately. They then found two conflicting signs near the entrance of the trail, with one read "no trespassing", another says "no fishing between xxx - June xxx", same thing as DFO website.

Anyone know is it fishable above 216 Street? And all the oneline resources seems to show that section of the river is not private at all.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Alouette river trespassing?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 02:23:37 PM »

Yes it is private as well as many other places on the river.

mythbai

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 04:47:48 PM »

Yes it is private as well as many other places on the river.

Thanks, I found out in the city map: http://gis.mapleridge.ca/ridgeview/

Still there are quite some area on the river open to the public.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 05:02:50 PM by mythbai »

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 07:32:57 PM »

If people really don't want you in their yard, I get that. I respect it, and If I really wanted to fish I would have a conversation first. Everyone is entitled to deal with this situation heir own way, but I get the side of the land owner as well. If in fact the person doesn't own the land, then he is in the wrong but I give him the benefit of the doubt.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 09:39:41 PM »

Any land owner with riverfront access owns his side of the river. One of only a few rivers in BC in which this exists. Most of the river is on private property.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 09:48:06 PM »

Simple Solution:

Get a pontoon, drift it, and dont touch the river bed or the rocks.

They own the riverbed, but not the river itself.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 10:43:11 PM »

I've had some guy take pictures of me every time I fish a certain pool. Talked to a few others guys and it seems he's pretty famous for this. He calls the cops but they never do anything. we fish the opposite side of the river from his house. You always see a few large flashes from an old school camera coming from his window when you walk into the spot, almost like he's always standing there waiting.

mythbai

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 11:25:13 PM »

Nah, I'd better avoid that section. The patch of river bank near 224 seems not belong to anyone yet, may give it a try sometime.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 07:12:25 AM »

Nah, I'd better avoid that section. The patch of river bank near 224 seems not belong to anyone yet, may give it a try sometime.

The horse trail side of 224th is fine to fish

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 07:32:05 AM »

This has been an on going issue on many parts of the river for decades. The City has tried to get landowners to allow access along the bank for  years. Back 10 years or more ago almost all the landowners other than one or 2 below Allco Park and on the north bank below 216th were kind of on board with that but the ownership on the south upstream side of the bridge changed and the new owner has denied access despite the fact previously access had been permitted.

One thing is a Fishing Regulation sign means squat in this situation. 216th street is a regulation boundary.

Oh and good luck drifting that river in a pontoon. Technically it's still trespass and a drift wouldn't be easy.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

mythbai

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 10:54:44 AM »

This has been an on going issue on many parts of the river for decades. The City has tried to get landowners to allow access along the bank for  years. Back 10 years or more ago almost all the landowners other than one or 2 below Allco Park and on the north bank below 216th were kind of on board with that but the ownership on the south upstream side of the bridge changed and the new owner has denied access despite the fact previously access had been permitted.

One thing is a Fishing Regulation sign means squat in this situation. 216th street is a regulation boundary.

Oh and good luck drifting that river in a pontoon. Technically it's still trespass and a drift wouldn't be easy.

Thanks, my friends were on the south bank when picture "taken" similar to BCfisherman97. Good to hear most landowners is willing to be friendly with anglers.

Adamski76

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 05:31:10 PM »

Are you allowed to retain hatchery coho bellow 216st?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 07:09:04 AM »

check out the retention limits here:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html

now bookmark that page grasshopper!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Adamski76

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 07:32:14 AM »

check out the retention limits here:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html

now bookmark that page grasshopper!

Thanks for the link but I already have it bookmarked and I'm only asking because someone at my local shop said that I am but what I'm getting from the regulations is little confusing it mentions above 216 and bellow Allco fishing boundary signs. Pls clarify. Thank you

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 09:07:38 AM »

I have to first editorialize on this issue. Some folks complain that the regulations are often so complicated as to indecipherable. Well this particular reg is very clear yet here is a case where someone gets confused. Take your time and read the regs;

look at the regs for coho. There are 2

1) above 216th street there is no fishing for coho from April 1st to Aug 31st. It does not apply downstream of 216th street to the Pitt River.

Pretty simple

2) this one pertains to all the river downstream of the fishing boundary signs at Allco Park.It clearly states you can keep a hatchery coho for the entire river downstream of those signs from Oct1st to Dec 31st.

Just as simple

So you want a chance to keep a coho you can do that anywhere downstream of the boundary described in 2) from Oct 1st till Dec 31st right down to the Pitt River.

BTW there are no adult coho in the river in the April 1 to Aug 31st and the river is closed to all fishing above 216th April 1 to July 31st.

One piece of advice - people who ask too many questions like this tend to get ignored. Try to work things out on your own.