Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bottom bouncing vedder.  (Read 22457 times)

Shawn6o4

Re: bottom bouncing vedder.
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2014, 09:11:25 AM »

I cant believe he just ate the roe like that... wtfff

In the video Ken says that he hardly had any fishing action until he drove up all the way to the boundary near sleese creek - holy cow that's terrible if true - his report from just a few days ago. I thought there was more then enough rain.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2014, 03:30:03 PM »

Well then considering the fact that there were more people flossing in the last two months than I've ever seen river fishing any other way I guess its safe to say the Flossers are here to stay. And if people believe what Chris has written above I guess we won't have to put up with the, Holier than Thou attitudes nor listen to complaining about flossing Ever again.
As Chris said, ..........., you should not complain when you see it else where.

Glad to know we can put this baby to bed, Ahem.
It will most likely until the sockeye open again in 4 years, until then the Fraser will return to some form of normality.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »

I cant believe he just ate the roe like that... wtfff

Bear Grylls wanna be ?

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2014, 07:19:18 PM »

Saw the bottom bouncer today and to my surprise he was short floating.

That's good news! Maybe he read it here, or someone had a chat with him.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2014, 07:37:15 AM »

What snaggers & flossers on the Chedder? Snagging, when did that start (rotflmao)?Why don't they just close it down! ;D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2014, 06:38:22 PM »

hey do you think this guy was flossing/snagging in this video? He was using pencil lead with like a 2-3ft leader without a float. He was also fishing in an area famous to idiot snaggers/flossers. AKA THE SLAB. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLD9DJxOR4U
Look at the comments lol
I know how to catch fish.......Sometimes.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2014, 07:48:54 PM »

What are we looking for in the comments?

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2014, 10:27:08 PM »

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2014, 01:15:56 AM »

This is exactly right. If the fishing community as a whole is going to condone BB/flossing as a legal technique then one really has no right to tell someone else how to fish.

Of course you can try to instruct them as to why BB with big weights and long leaders could be disadvantageous on the vedder but if they don’t care to change then there isn’t much you can do.

As someone pointed out in an earlier post, unfortunately what they don’t realize is that technique can spook the fish and ruin the whole run for everyone else. They are being poor fishing citizens not so much because they are using a technique that some people find ‘unethical’ but rather they are literally affecting the quality of fishing for the people around them. Maybe they don’t realize that and framed that way, some might be willing to change for the sake of playing nice with others. I doubt it though…

Ironically, once the fish get lockjaw then the most effective technique probably then becomes flossing/snagging and the ‘legitimacy’ of their methods gets validated in their minds. I agree with the above posters who promote education, though I don’t know how that could be achieved and in what context.

Well said.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2014, 09:31:04 AM »

The Vedder must be the #1 spot in BC for all the variety of unethical or ethically grey fishing practices; low holing, fence posting, crowding other anglers, snagging - the real gut and back hook variety, littering (why is the average angler such a swine?) and I am sure there's many more. Why get so concerned about flossing? Flossing, dipping it's been happening there for decades. There isn't too many parts of the river that are all that conducive to bottom bouncing with a betty. I haven't seen it very often and when I have people trying it soon learn it's not such a great way to fish - except maybe for the KW Bridge pool. I know lots of anglers who won't go to the Vedder because they consider it a cesspool of bad angling behaviour and overcrowding. I won't go there weekends for the most part.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2014, 01:29:35 PM »

Was at the vedder yesterday and what I saw was just sad  :'( Every single run/pool i went to was filled with anglers who set the depth from the float way over how deep it was in the run. They all had 3-9 ft leaders and were ripping back after everycast. They where snagging  fish by the tail! I even saw a 5 pound sucker fish get dragged out by the tail. Now that I know the lower river is this bad im going to stay away. Of course though the anglers left when it was getting dark and I managed to get a lot of bites on roe after they left.

koifish

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2014, 03:16:07 PM »

is it bad to fish with a pencil lead and a 1-2 foot leader? but no float?

what i see guys do is get a long leader a weight and pull there float up thats not diffrence then bb which is as bad

banx

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2014, 05:19:50 AM »

is it bad to fish with a pencil lead and a 1-2 foot leader? but no float?

what i see guys do is get a long leader a weight and pull there float up thats not diffrence then bb which is as bad

no, it's not bad at all.  it's a standard/accepted technique usually with a spin n glo, bead and some wool or a hootchie....Only added roe that way a few times but it was successful for springs in particular....not the best for gin clear water though

preferred a slinky weight in 3/4 to 1 oz for most 'walking speed' flows.  I would snag up on the bottom less and it personally felt better. 

koifish

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2014, 09:14:49 AM »

Yeah I just wanted to know if that was ok since I'm going out tmr to the vedder im probably going to use wool and maybe later float and roe setup fake roe lol

How's the water at the vedder is it high?  Or low?

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2014, 09:21:24 AM »

Saw that yesterday as well ! Two large springs snagged in the tail and bonked!