Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bottom bouncing vedder.  (Read 22586 times)

dave c

bottom bouncing vedder.
« on: September 29, 2014, 08:04:15 PM »

Was fishing canal today only to see a guy drop in above me and proceed to bootom bounce with at least a 6 ft leader.  Didn't think it was legal but wasn't sure so I asked other guys around me and they didnt seem to care. Would have said something if I knew for sure. Planning on hitting same spot tomorrow.  Maybe the leader length is the issue?  Anyway would like to know for sure in case I see him again. Help.  Thanks.

Humpy

Re: bottom bouncing vedder.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 08:19:09 PM »

Its not illegal, but it is frowned upon and there are many other ways to fish in which you will be much more successful.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 08:21:01 PM »

No leader length restriction.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 08:22:17 PM »

That's just plain ridiculous. Help the guy understand in a nice way. If he's a dick, walk away lol.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 10:40:47 AM by Flytech »

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 08:22:45 PM »

unfortunately it is a legal grey area. There is no leader restriction and dfo doesn't seem to do anything about BBer's. I hate these people who BB the vedder. It just ruins it for everyone else. When people BB it totally makes the fish get zipped lipps and they stop biting and get spooked. Personally i would find a run without this nonsense going on.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 08:25:58 PM »

You have to remember a ton of bottom bouncers have no idea it's frowned upon. They need to be educated.

kevzabob

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »

I've seen float fishers loose it on bottom bouncers on the
Vedder. I've also almost been hit in the head as
They cast across the river, with their bouncing
Beaties.

kevzabob

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 09:11:38 PM »

Also went out all day to day. Some guys were catching but not
A whole lot. I was amazed to see how many
Guys were out on a Monday.
The fish probably are a bit spooked as
There doesn't seem to be much space for them to get a break
From hooks weights etc flinging in front of them.
Is the amount of people fishing increasing, seems like a lot

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 09:22:44 PM »

I dont snag any fish period. So if your ok about snagging on the Fraser and not doing it on any other system isnt that a bit hypocritical?

I am not trying to be a jerk here so dont any of you come on here and say I am being all holier than thou BS. Honestly I think everything needs to be changed in regards to the regs and bottom bouncing. Leader restrictions being the first one. Secondly the regulation about where the hook placement needs to be on a caught fish. That last regulation is very vague and basically anything near the mouth would be considered a fair caught fish which is a bunch of crap.

We are never going to get around the poachers, snaggers but atleast if the regs are changed the DFO's have grounds to give fines and have the ability to charge individuals.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

1son

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 09:36:21 PM »

Hit a nice run right before dark last week in the lower with a ton of fish rolling as soon as I hook up with a jack spring and proceed to land it 3 dummies showed up right where me and my buddy were fishing and started casting 60lbs test braided line 3oz betties and 10ft leaders ripping/snagging monster fish and being proud of it. It's a damn shame douche bags like these are found almost everywhere on the flow ruined the rest of our day.

DRP79

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 07:23:26 AM »

I get that its frowned upon and I will not do it on the Vedder but I cant help but wonder how many of the people complaining about the BB'ers are the same guys bouncing pencil lead down the river 8' below the float with a lengthy leader in 3-4 feet of water?

wonder

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 07:46:45 AM »

Seen a couple guys now with the 5" pencil lead 4' leader and wool, no float telling me "it's the only way to get down to the fish" as I land a 20lb white spring short floating roe. Ya okayy buddyy.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 07:48:20 AM »

Float flossing should be also frowned upon.  I've even seen guys using betties with a float.  As discussed many times before, there are several methods to floss/snag fish including doing so with the fly.  Nonetheless, they are not breaking the law or regulations (at least it would be extremely difficult to prove).  However, that does not make it ethical.  I agree education is important.  But many of these guys know exactly what they are doing.  Too bad, because there are FAR more effective ways to selectively catch fish in waters like the Vedder.

On another note, I've got some primo roe curing right now!!!  The "coho crack" lab was busy last night...  ;)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:50:59 AM by FlyFishin Magician »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 07:58:41 AM »

Flossing is legal.
If its good enough for all the by catch fish on the Fraser then its good enough for the Vedder.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 11:14:39 AM »

So if your ok about snagging on the Fraser and not doing it on any other system isnt that a bit hypocritical?

This is exactly right. If the fishing community as a whole is going to condone BB/flossing as a legal technique then one really has no right to tell someone else how to fish.

Of course you can try to instruct them as to why BB with big weights and long leaders could be disadvantageous on the vedder but if they don’t care to change then there isn’t much you can do.

As someone pointed out in an earlier post, unfortunately what they don’t realize is that technique can spook the fish and ruin the whole run for everyone else. They are being poor fishing citizens not so much because they are using a technique that some people find ‘unethical’ but rather they are literally affecting the quality of fishing for the people around them. Maybe they don’t realize that and framed that way, some might be willing to change for the sake of playing nice with others. I doubt it though…

Ironically, once the fish get lockjaw then the most effective technique probably then becomes flossing/snagging and the ‘legitimacy’ of their methods gets validated in their minds. I agree with the above posters who promote education, though I don’t know how that could be achieved and in what context.