Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: river x nov 11th  (Read 5587 times)

bald_seagull

river x nov 11th
« on: November 11, 2014, 11:32:30 AM »

fished a smaller flow this morning
went 2for4 on skien right around first light this morning 4-5 lbs wild buck cohos released
had to take a break as my hands were frozen from handling fish in the water
no action once my tips warmed back up about to switch to a jig when the float dipped around 9
with 4-5 lbs wild doe coho released

switched to the jig for the last hour but i couldnt find any chumlees

can anyone recommend decent gloves to use while centerpinning?

A Frayed Knot

Re: river x nov 11th
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »

I use the handwarmer pouches for the waist, I don't really like any of the gloves out there to be honest because risk of removing slime / scales when handling and releasing fish.
But other than that I do carry around Simms Wool Half Finger gloves, they do a great job and hold up well in cold weather being 100% wool.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 12:33:34 PM »

Anything wool and fingerless will do the trick to keep the hands warmer than without, just make sure to pop them off when releasing or posing with le fishy. Personally I just use the $14.99 ones from Canadian Tire

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 03:43:07 PM »

I like Orvis Mirage softshell gloves.  Come in "fingerless" (thumb, index, and middle fingerless, pinky and ring full fingers) and foldover.  Advantage to the softshell is it holds out wind, however it is not as warm compared to gloves.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 04:50:51 PM »

I like Orvis Mirage softshell gloves.  Come in "fingerless" (thumb, index, and middle fingerless, pinky and ring full fingers) and foldover.  Advantage to the softshell is it holds out wind, however it is not as warm compared to gloves.

I am immediately drawn to the middle fingerless for some reason.
Are they thinner material but thick enough for wind? I'm thinking that problem could be solved with the super cheap one dollar wool gloves parents get for kids for when its truly cold.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 05:24:45 PM »

I like these ones, it's easy to remove to handle fish.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 06:00:22 PM »

http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/prodimg/8L07PLDG.jpg
They arent as waterproof as water can get into them..  They are not thick but not thin either, kinda in between.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 06:43:16 PM »

Thanks Clarkii, I got a couple pairs of nice knitted wool gloves that would fit over top of those. My issues mostly with wind really, once it picks up and your hands are wet it does get a little rough out there. I may invest in a part. Like I said before I tend to use hand warmers, that sit in the pockets for when they get cold generally but it can be a little hard to fish swapping all the time!