Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glow sticks  (Read 6902 times)

clarkii

• Old Timer
Re: Glow sticks
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 09:46:11 PM »

Hence why I put or to attract fish (freshwater) in the first sentence.

Btw if you want to test that wording in front of a co go for it.

just make sure it doesnt attract a fish.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:54:19 PM by clarkii »

LP89CG

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 09:58:16 PM »

I wasn't disputing your post. I was outlining the wording for others as others were talking about putting the lights onto floats.

but anyways... not need to badger others for supposedly skimming and not reading. I'm just trying to contribute constructively.

For a forum full of "sport fishers" there seems to be a lack of camaraderie/sportsmanship; maybe it goes away once on the keyboards?   ::)

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 10:05:00 PM »

I love semantics. UV could be considered a form of light that attracts fish, unless in the regs they specifically define light as a specific range of wavelengths.  Also I wonder how a CO would prove in a court of law that the light actually attracted the fish? As already suggested maybe they spook the fish, or some fish?

Similar with scented artificial eggs or worms which are defined as baits.  The fact that an angler uses a scent does not mean it's actually an attractant to fish, have there been double blind studies with specific scents that have proven they attract all fish or specific fish?

Please note; I am not advocating weaseling out of the regulations, I personally play it very straight and adhere to the Regs as closely as I can.

LP89CG

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 10:17:20 PM »

I love semantics. UV could be considered a form of light that attracts fish, unless in the regs they specifically define light as a specific range of wavelengths.  Also I wonder how a CO would prove in a court of law that the light actually attracted the fish? As already suggested maybe they spook the fish, or some fish?

Similar with scented artificial eggs or worms which are defined as baits.  The fact that an angler uses a scent does not mean it's actually an attractant to fish, have there been double blind studies with specific scents that have proven they attract all fish or specific fish?

Please note; I am not advocating weaseling out of the regulations, I personally play it very straight and adhere to the Regs as closely as I can.

I agree on keeping to the regs as best you can... and yes semantics are great. CYA = CAN YOU ARTICULATE

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 10:19:55 PM »

They are illegal anywhere that isn't within 1m of your hook while sport fishing (tidal) or to attract fish (Freshwater).

Unlawful Actions
It is illegal to:
• use torches or artificial lights while sport fishing, except when they are
submerged and attached to a fishing line, within 1 m of the fishing hook

(Page 5/6 tidal regs  http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/docs/SFGtidal-GPSmaree-2013-eng.pdf)

It Is Unlawful To....
Use a light in any manner to attract fish,
unless the light is submerged and attached
to the fishing line within 1 m of the hook

(Page 9 freshwater regs http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1315/fishing_synopsis_2013-15_provincial.pdf)

Isn't having the light (glow stick) within 1 metre of the hook (bait) considered as attracting the fish ?

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 12:42:19 PM »

To a point.  I think what happens is the light will show the leader, hook, etc so it might also spook fish.

Tbh it might be one of those regs that was put in way back for no good reason.

Sorta like the whole "if your alone in a boat you can use two rods" yet your not allowed two flies on one rod if your alone in a boat.