Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flounder Fishing  (Read 3909 times)

Canuck

Flounder Fishing
« on: September 21, 2014, 12:38:39 AM »

I was thinking about trying my hand at fishing for some flounder and sole from shore, but I don't really know of any areas to fish for them and with a sandy enough bottom.
I tried once at barnett marine park and only caught sculpin and greenling
my setup is just a a weight attached directly to a three way swivel and a 2 foot leader with 4cm berkley gulp grubs
any tips would be helpful!

barklee

Re: Flounder Fishing
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 02:33:40 AM »

Closer to Vancouver, Ambleside, sea wall, Jericho, piers, etc. at low tide go to Stanley Park rollover some rocks grab some sea worms then use them at high tide for bait. You can also use the mussels but they are hard to rig. Some people even use deli shrimp.
Great bait to use for flounders, perch, shiners, etc.

Your setup is ok 6-14 for hooks. For sandy bottom i like to use sliding weight 1oz on mainline then bead then 10-12 swivel then floro leader then hook. OK for estuary ie lower fraser.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 02:35:58 PM »

I find the best bait for flounder is a small chartreuse jig tipped with sea worms bounced across bottom.
I know how to catch fish.......Sometimes.

Speyhead

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 03:22:18 PM »

I was thinking about trying my hand at fishing for some flounder and sole from shore, but I don't really know of any areas to fish for them and with a sandy enough bottom.
I tried once at barnett marine park and only caught sculpin and greenling
my setup is just a a weight attached directly to a three way swivel and a 2 foot leader with 4cm berkley gulp grubs
any tips would be helpful!

Check out and maybe consider trying one of the UK flounder rigs, sea anglers there enjoy no small measure of success using colored beads and sequins (yes, those would be ladies dress sequins) of your choice as attractors rigged directly on the hook link, above the baited hook. :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 03:24:00 PM by Speyhead »

Canuck

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 06:46:52 PM »

I've seen some pretty big flounder caught in the Fraser river estuaries before but how far up the river do they go?
I've also heard that Cates park might be decent for flounder so I might try it out there sometime.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 07:16:52 PM »

Ive caught my biggest flounder at white rock dont fish at the very end just like halfway along the pier with jigs and sea worms.
I know how to catch fish.......Sometimes.

Burbot

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 02:11:25 PM »

I've seen some pretty big flounder caught in the Fraser river estuaries before but how far up the river do they go?
I've also heard that Cates park might be decent for flounder so I might try it out there sometime.

I have caught them when not fishing for them under the Knight Street bridge off Kent Ave in Van. Even caught an eel their once.

Shawn6o4

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 04:13:45 AM »

Weird I didn't know other people fished under the knight st, I fish there often since it's about 5 minutes from my house. Only ever seen a few homeless people..

I have caught them when not fishing for them under the Knight Street bridge off Kent Ave in Van. Even caught an eel their once.