Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: newbie fly fisher  (Read 5405 times)

fish fear me

newbie fly fisher
« on: September 17, 2014, 10:30:35 AM »

my son wants to get in to fly fishing but we don't know where to go fishing. We where thinking about going camping at sun volley trout park for the catch and release fly fishing pond but was wondering if there where any other places closer to Vancouver. He can cast his fly rod but not very far, he just want's catch some fish they don't have to be big. Any help would be much appreciated.

dobrolub

Re: newbie fly fisher
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 10:44:12 AM »

My son got into fly-fishing this year. He fished rice lake with no success but Deer lake was awesome! Lots of small bass in Deer lake.

fish fear me

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 10:53:22 AM »

thanks what fly's are good and where an the lake is good for bass. we fish of the dock sometimes with bait and a float but just get pumpkinseed.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 11:01:16 AM »

Purple and olive wooly buggers are killer for deer lake bass.2 sets of pads on the main beach.
I know how to catch fish.......Sometimes.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 11:09:52 AM »

Bass in general will take any streamer pattern in a fast retrieve.   Often presentation and depth trump fly choice. 

Woolly buggers, pumpkinheads, ruby eyed leeches should all produce.

dobrolub

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 11:22:31 AM »

The conditions at Deer lake might be substandard now due to the hot weather spell. I'd wait for colder weather. That should help get the weeds in the lake under control. Should also help target bigger fish.

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 11:53:03 AM »

Don't forget LaFarge Lake is pretty good. Just about any pattern is going to work there, you'll also have a shot at carp that roam around the beach.  But its decent little fishing there.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:54:41 AM by A Frayed Knot »
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 12:44:54 PM »

Keep an eye out for the lake stocking reports:

http://www.gofishbc.com/fish-stocking-reports.aspx

Then go to Rice or LaFarge or whichever is closer within the first 2-4 weeks of stocking and try a full sinking line with a fairly fast strip retrieve with a dark green or olive wooly bugger.  If you do not have a full sink use a sink tip or if limited to floating line use a long leader with a weighted fly (i.e. with bead).

HTH and I hope your son gets hooked, its better than hanging out on the computer or at 7/11.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 07:20:50 PM »

Oh and if you are fishing streamers keep your rod tip in or on the water. 

This provides a tight connection to your line as the line doesn't have two different medians to deal with.

Also if you want a floating line to sink that can help break the surface tension that helps floating lines float.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 10:04:14 PM »

Fish Fear Me how old is your son?
What gear does he have, waders, access to a boat, float tube
The best way to fly fish the local lakes is to be on the water i.e. boat or float tube, this way you don't have to cast too far and you can slow troll which can be very productive and a lot of fun.
some of the local lakes are hard to fly fish from shore, too many trees, people walking behind you, no access to drop offs
that being said when they get stocked they can be a lot of fun to fish for small trout and even some broodies
one great lake is Whonnock lake as it has a lot of black crappie as well as trout, and they do rent out boats
hope this helps

fish fear me

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 09:50:47 AM »

thanks britguy, my son is 13 but really just has the basics a rather light rod we don't have a boat or float tube he really likes conventional and would like to get into fly fishing but we didin't want to invest to much in it before we knew if he liked it.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 10:29:56 PM »

Once he realises he likes it I would get him a casting lesson to ensure he has no bad habits
I am sure once he he gets the hang of casting and hooks a fish or two he will be hooked for life ;)

Fly fishing can become a big investment, Its all about what you want to fish for, small trout, Cutties, Pinks Salmon, Coho, Steelhead, Springs, Chum, etc

Then theres the different lines, floating, intermediate, sink tip, full sink (in many weights), all the different flies, wet, dry, nymph, streamer etc
and i won't mention the different rods and reels :-\

but with a simple set up you can catch fish and have a lot of fun 8)

Lake fishing is the best way to start, but like i mentioned not much shore access, I started this way but soon got frustrated with not be able to get to the fish due to the trees stopping my cast or that the fish were further out
So i invested in a basic float tube, and it opened up way more options and places to fish.
River fishing can be good but again the trees or brush can hider your cast, plus the flow of the water changes everything

I could help get him set up depending on what gear he has
I live in PoCo so I could meet you both at Lafarge sometime I could even bring my float tube so he could have a go around the lake with it

A Frayed Knot

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 09:51:26 AM »

Do you guys still need an extra rod/reel? It comes with sinking and floating line, because I got a fairly decent one I am trying to sell off. It would be a shame to let it go to waste.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

adecadelost

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 12:05:14 PM »

I'd agree with Britguys advice and I'd second Whonock lake.  Rice and Deer are not likely the best for flyfishing as they can be fairly busy and don't offer much in the way of backcast room. 
The crappie are plentiful in whonock and a blast for kids.  Fish off the east dock towards the weeds.  A little tomtumb or bushy dry fly will get both the fish and your kid hooked.  Nothing like watching a fish slash and take a dry fly.  Have him cast it out and then strip it in with short fast little strips, the crappie should slam it.