Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: hair extensions for flies  (Read 3486 times)

bald_seagull

hair extensions for flies
« on: September 06, 2014, 02:10:54 PM »

happened to notice that dollarama has hair extensions in a variety of colours of halloween
bought a couple in silver doctor blue and hot pink complete with a nice grizzly stripe
not sure how it will hold up to being fished but at 1.25 each im givener a shot

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Re: hair extensions for flies
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 12:44:47 PM »

Compare the colours with regular fishing supplies under a blue light as exists underwater. I suspect you will find the lack of fluorescent dyes results in the colours appearing brown.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 02:53:41 PM »

Sure it will work. Maybe really good maybe not.
I'm a modest fly tyer AT BEST. My friend got whacked by a porcupine on a trip to Alaska because he got to close.
As a joke, I made him a couple leeches out of a middle aged woman's hair. (dark brown and white) and told him it was a porcupine hair leech.
Well that leech was on fire for a weekend fishing trip at a lake in pike mountain area.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 05:27:57 PM »

Hard of porcupine quills being used for extended body dry flies.

Should tie some of those up for him.

ajransom

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 12:34:37 PM »

Do an experiment: Tie one pattern with either fly shop materials and the same pattern with dollar store materials. Fish both flies for a day and see what catches more fish?

I suspect the fly shop stuff will be much better and will hold up to more abuse etc, but it can't hurt to try.

Id be interested in the outcomes.

bald_seagull

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 06:28:10 PM »

Do an experiment: Tie one pattern with either fly shop materials and the same pattern with dollar store materials. Fish both flies for a day and see what catches more fish?

I suspect the fly shop stuff will be much better and will hold up to more abuse etc, but it can't hurt to try.

Id be interested in the outcomes.

exactly what i was thinking tied up some nice pink gps and used the dollar store stuff for tails and have some the exact same with bucktail hair already in my box 

Ian Forbes

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 11:40:27 AM »

Compare the colours with regular fishing supplies under a blue light as exists underwater. I suspect you will find the lack of fluorescent dyes results in the colours appearing brown.

You are talking about the colour changes on ALL materials that are very deep below the surface. All colours change somewhat once you go beneath the surface. Available light and water clarity changes everything. Very few fly tying materials have fluorescent dyes. And, nobody really know why fish react to colours not normally seen in nature.   

All you can do is experiment and see what works best for you.

I have used those hair extensions in various streamer patterns with good results. I just add some dyed polar bear hair around the plastic hair and add a few strands of Krystal flash or other commercially made bucktail hairs.

I've dyed polar bear hair for over 55 years and not once have I ever used fluorescent dyes. They all caught fish at various depths. The secret to good fly tying is to use a variety of materials in the same fly. Use the cheap materials for bulk, and the more expensive materials surrounding it for a bit of shape, colour and flash.