Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steveston Salmon on the docks  (Read 35596 times)

arimaBOATER

Re: Steveston Salmon on the docks
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2014, 12:34:08 AM »

Wife bought 2 socks for $18 each. ( Steveston docks ) I walked about & bought a male sock hooked in the ocean just south of Bowen Island. Chap said the fish could be from a ft or to 400 ft down.
Will cook fish up Saturday (today) & looking forward to a tasty meal.
Ironically two pickup trucks were at the pay parking not far from the docks with those big plastic fish storage boxes. Hopefully the drivers were there to eat in the restaurant or have a few cool ones.
Hopefully they were not there with salmon on ice & brought down to restock the many fishing boats at the dock  :o
When one checks out the many boats the buyer wants to buy a fish that was caught from that boat.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2014, 04:15:36 AM »

If you donot want to drive there and live in CHWK they are going from $8 to $12 here, $15 cleaned, this are ecomomic opportunity F/N fish so legal to buy. Far cheaper than going out after them ones self. ;D ;D

Nucks

« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2014, 02:24:41 PM »

Just curious, how does it work buying sockeye off FN now?

Is it legal to buy a bunch from them and transport without a receipt??

Are there any regs around this?

StillAqua

« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2014, 08:08:43 PM »

It's new licenced "economic opportunity" first nations fishery, just for the duration of the large sockeye run. Cheam are one of the bands participating, selling fish on the roadside. I haven't bought any but a receipt sounds like a good idea. And make sure the fish have clear eyes and no smell so you know they are very fresh.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2014, 10:25:44 PM »

The problem with the economic opportunity openings mixed in with communal openings is that it's hard to know which fish are in fact legally being sold. IMO, all fish caught by FNs should be allowed to be sold if they wish, makes no difference if a certain quota is already allocated for harvesting. Personally I will not buy these fish from the road side in the Fraser Valley, because it's difficult to determine how the fish have been kept after they have been harvested. I like my fish fresh. Economic openings for FNs near the Fraser River mouth are done with actual commercial boats, so I feel more confident when buying from down there when available.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2014, 09:24:20 PM »

I did something I thought I would never do, no not snag a sockeye but I bought one for 10 dollars right out of the net today, I watched with the F/N and soon as the cork bounced on the net I said "there is my fish,"
 out they went and quickly brought 3 ashore, I picked out the biggest, borrowed their knife and bled it and took it home for the person that wanted it.

I agree with Rod, they should be able to sell all their fish after given a certain number for the season. This would save the FOC officers a lot of grief and court time for those charged and most of the time no action is taken against those charged any way.

For $10 far cheaper than taking your own and if you do what I did, its fresher than those that are out TOWing.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2014, 10:59:11 PM »

I did something I thought I would never do, no not snag a sockeye but I bought one for 10 dollars right out of the net today, I watched with the F/N and soon as the cork bounced on the net I said "there is my fish,"
 out they went and quickly brought 3 ashore, I picked out the biggest, borrowed their knife and bled it and took it home for the person that wanted it.

I agree with Rod, they should be able to sell all their fish after given a certain number for the season. This would save the FOC officers a lot of grief and court time for those charged and most of the time no action is taken against those charged any way.

For $10 far cheaper than taking your own and if you do what I did, its fresher than those that are out TOWing.

Do something else you would never do, cheer on the Canucks :) You know you want to. Still waiting for the prices in Steveston to drop to $10

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2014, 03:50:35 AM »

Do something else you would never do, cheer on the Canucks :) You know you want to. Still waiting for the prices in Steveston to drop to $10
Ah, good times ahead, sockeye close and the Leafs win the cup. ;D ;D

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2014, 07:32:31 AM »

Ah, good times ahead, sockeye close and the Leafs win the cup. ;D ;D

One of those is going to happen in the near future!!!  The other???   ;D ;D :D

Btw - go Hawks!  (Seahawks that is...).  LOL.  OK - Back to the topic.  Yes, if you're out in the Valley during a native economic opening, it might be worth checking out - if you know what to look for in a fresh fish.  I was talking to some of my co-workers who bought fish from Steveston, and the line-ups sounded like Peg Leg!  One co-worker said the commie didn't give him a chance to pick his fish.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2014, 08:42:19 AM »

i was there on Saturday and it wasn't that bad. lots of boats to buy your fish from. one boat was selling them for $15 a fish. didn't pick up any sockeye but did pick up a albacore tuna.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2014, 01:23:44 PM »

Might head down this weekend and see what kind of deal I can get for 10-12 fish.

Anyone know what the going rate is today?

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2014, 05:19:53 PM »

Haven't been out bb'ing for fish in over 3 weeks. Contacted a Cheam first nation fellow and he delivered 16 fresh sockeye to my house for 200 bucks Labour Day weekend. All smoked up in my Bradley and sitting vaccuum sealed in my freezer waiting to be devoured. Along with the other sockeye that I caught myself I've been done for this year for the past ten days.

It didn't seem worth it to fight the quagmire of crowds, the long drives and the early, early mornings. So glad to be done.
Bring on the Vedder coho and lets do some Real fishing !!!!  :)