Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fraser boats  (Read 5094 times)

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
fraser boats
« on: June 26, 2004, 09:12:45 AM »

OK so here is the thing, I've got 2 boats:

16.5 foot trailered double eagle powered by a 70 horse outboard  (used for ocean fishing)

and

11 foot Hourston Glasscraft cartopper (heavy boat) powered by a 8.5 horse merc.  (used on lakes)

Both have power supplied by prop outboards.  

I have never used either on the mighty Fraser, I want to give it a try but I am a bit fearful of using the larger boat as it has a very deep V hull and would be difficult to beach as well as a longer shafted motor that I am worried would be damaged.  The smaller boat is underpowered for the fraser...I think.

What minimal boat sizes and power do you more experienced Fraser anglers think would be required to safely navigate the Fraser to find those more secluded bars?

Randog

Re:fraser boats
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 10:39:49 AM »

Fishersak,

I use a 12' Valco (wide beam) with a 9.9 Evinrude 4 stroke. With myself, wife and son we get up on plane and can get around quite well all though not as fast as some others we still seem to get there.

My buddy has a 12' Springbok with a 8 hp Honda and he does ok as well.

I'd probably leave the Double Eagle at home. Too risky for me.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 10:40:14 AM by Randog »

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004, 10:06:23 PM »

cheaper to replace a bottom end on a 8 horse rather than a 70 hp ;D
Please honey can i go fishing now???

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004, 11:35:15 PM »

OK guys, that is some good sounding, logical advise.  I think I will give it a try.  

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004, 11:45:50 PM »

Hey guys good info,now to talk to the book keeper ;D
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 02:25:56 AM »

Hi Fishersak,

I have the exact same double eagle and do ocassionally use it on the Fraser. It can be done but you just have to be a bit more cautious than if you had the ideal, an aluminum jetboat. Here's a couple of pointers if you do decide to take the deep v fibre glass hull with outboard on the mighty Fraser:

1) Pick your launch wisely. Island 22 works for me. Some of the other launches may not be as good and you may want to check them out before commiting an entire day to a launch that will not work.

2) Two people are recommended when going out. One person to back down the trailer while the other person is in the boat and starts the motor, lets it warm up, and pulls away from the trailer. Then the other person parks the truck and gets picked up by the boat by jumping on the bow or over the side. Waders and a pfd are recommended.

3) A depth sounder is a must and it should be used at all times.

4) A river map with all the bars or preferably some one who knows the river is recommended.

5) You do not have to beach your boat to fish. You can anchor offshore and bb or barfish from the boat. If you anchor you want about 30' of anchor line with a float. If you hook a big spring you throw the float overboard, follow the fish, and land it (hopefully). Then you return to your anchor float, reattach and continue fishing.

6) If you want to fish from shore, rather than beaching your boat, pull in close, cut the motor, tilt it out of harms way and haved the second person jump out. Then hold the boat and anchor a few feet feet from shore without ever touching bottom.

7) When pulling your boat out the, reverse procedure to launching applies. One person jumps out and backs in the trailer. This is exremely important - make sure the trailer points downstream! Drive the boat on to the trailer and load as usual.

Good luck if you take the double eagle out. It can be done, it just requires a few more precautions than if you use an aluminum.

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 01:49:46 PM »

hey thanks for the advise, you can be sure I will be very careful.  It is good to have guys with experience with ideas like these.

Thanks again,
Mark.

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 11:16:15 PM »

Unfortunately no motorized tilt....always thought that was for the lazy guys!