Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: versatile rod and reel  (Read 7646 times)

NOFF

Re: versatile rod and reel
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 10:55:43 PM »

I'll phone tomorrow and ask if they do, thanks for your opinion. Seems like a great option

Will the convergence/HMX work with a low profile bait caster at 9 feet, I can't seem to find them at 9.6 even though people say they have them.

kindalonismo

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 10:06:18 PM »

I normally stick with 9'6". It seems to be standard length for spinning rods in the action/weight ratings I like. I don't like shorter as it generally effects casting distance. Lots of guys use longer ones for spinning off the beach (13 feet or so). It gives you an extra 20 feet casting distance if you have the right rod, which can be key at times off the beach, but I've gotten by just fine with the 9'6".

The rod is a TFO STS 962-2 9'6" 4-8 pnds casting rod.

It won't work with a baitcasting reel on it (at least this model). It might work with a pin on it, I haven't tried yet. They may have a baitcasting model in this rod, not sure. I'd say it's worth looking into though, it's probably the best rod in it's price range I've ever used... actually I'd say it's in the class of Loomis and the like (this series for TFO is actually designed by Loomis).

Cheers,
Dan

Cheers for the info Dan!  Really appreciate it!

barklee

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 03:12:22 AM »

TFO are expensive but great rods hard to find. There is nothing like the quality and feel of Fenwick's HMG and HMX.
I was also looking for something like what you wanted and all around rod (SPINNING). Long thin powerful trout, bull trout, to coho. Cast far from shore in a lake to sensitivity in rivers. Like damien said a 2 rod 1 reel couple of spools. I found, out of all my fenwicks the HMX 9 foot 6 4-10lbs HMX 962lmf. Very light and action medium fast so sensitive with titanium guides cork handles for $80-90 where can you go wrong. I have caught pan fish, trout, salmon, wanna try steelhead. Used it for spoons, spinners and bait. Great all around.

You won't get tired casting all day. I love my fenwick rods. As for reels get high end of any brand.

Another rod I get a lot of use is the St Croix panfish rod 10 foot 2-8lbs
My shortest rod is 7'6 HMX for creek fishing trout

KarateKick

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 06:37:19 PM »

I have a question about the "2 rods 1 reel" idea.  I've heard lots of people talk about the importance of the reel being a good match for the rod.  If you buy a reel for two different rods, would it be a compromised match for each rod?

I don't know how to match a reel to a rod, so I look only at combos.

barklee

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 12:36:46 AM »

you do not use a trout rod with a sturgeon/halibut sized reel

look at the lure/line lbs on rod and match it to the min/max line on reel

ultralight use small reels because you don't need that much line also

2 to 1 means: one rod is 4-10lbs for trout the other is 8-17lbs for pink although I could also use the 4-10 for pinks also, I use a medium sized reel with 10lbs line and interchange for both rods.

you could also use a medium sized reel with a couple of spools with different line weights

these are ways to save money and time spooling and unspooling the reel

looking for combos is a good way to save money but you will never find a sage rod with shimano reel in combo section unless its a special or used

look at the combos for trout and sturgeon/halibut the sizes are totally different and are not interchangable.

the combos for large trout and salmon could be, basically match the rod/reel to what your are catching as well.