Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question about spawned out salmon  (Read 2091 times)

barklee

question about spawned out salmon
« on: September 29, 2014, 12:46:21 AM »

Walking on the New Westminster Quay yesterday I saw a spawned out still swimming salmon. It was greyish white with black spots and it was swimming very slowly on the surface very close to the boardwalk where I spotted him. Considering the creeks near the area have salmon chum, coho it seems too early for spawning, plus the creeks don't have much water yet. Where did this salmon come from, did it spawn much further up say coquitlam then wash back down? I have seen dead salmon by kanaka creek and spawned out salmon in New West in November but this early? Where did it come from?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: question about spawned out salmon
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 11:28:23 AM »

this was probably a sockeye that injured or contracted a disease while migrating upstream in the Fraser. As it got weaker it simply started to swim downstream
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Sinaran

Re: question about spawned out salmon
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 12:55:58 PM »

There are also some "losers" that stop feeding and colour up prior to entering the fresh water region.  They would then become too weak to swim upstream and would eventually be washed down the fraser and die.  I have seen a 20+ pounds white spring this category at the deas island few years back while fishing for pink.  The survival of the fittest, that's what it is all about.  ;)
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!