Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: versatile rod and reel  (Read 7587 times)

kevzabob

versatile rod and reel
« on: August 25, 2014, 09:48:14 PM »

Just wondering what a good all around versatile rod and reel combo is for, rivers like the Chilliwack, Vedder, and for lakes.

A Frayed Knot

Re: versatile rod and reel
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 12:49:36 AM »

I don't thing there are to many nowadays. Most are getting water/species specific. I could very well be wrong but if you are just trout fishing pretty much anything will do thats light tackle friendly5ft abu garcia rated for 2-6lb line is usually pretty good
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

1son

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 01:34:57 AM »

Not sure if your a newbie or what but shimano convergence rod is a good starter and any bottom end abu/shimano level wind reel will do just fine on the vedder/chilliwack river.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 01:45:06 AM »

There really isn't a rod that will work well for salmon over 10lbs in a river and for much smaller trout in a lake.
Your best bet might be a 8'6" or 9 medium light power casting rod that can be used for float fishing roe or casting spoons or spinners in the slower water of the Vedder for coho or steelhead. It's still a bit heavy for lakes but you could get by.

G-Ratt

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 11:17:55 AM »

One option would be to get a lower profile baitcasting reel, one that isn't too heavy, like a Shimano Caenan or a similar Abu reel. And to get a cheaper, lighter and shorter rod for lakes, and a Convergence or something similar for the Vedder. It wouldn't be too expensive, and might give you a bit more versatility.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 06:13:02 PM »

Good idea with the two rods, one reel idea.

I would do a spinning reel with a 6'6' light rod and a 9'6" - 10'6" medium rod fast action for the rivers.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 08:08:57 PM »

Get a TFO spinning rod, 4-8 pounds. Cabela's had a few last time I was in there.
I pair it with a Penn Fierce 2000 spinning reel with 15 pound braid.
It's been awesome for Kitty and I on salmon, trout, char and steelhead.

It's landed chinook:

Nice summer steelies:

And you also get a heck of a fight out of rainbows this size:

I'd highly recommend it. Super good back bone, and light for the trout. Probably one of the nicest rods I've ever picked up, and I have gone through a bunch. Super good price too.

The only thing is, it doesn't offer a tonne of diversity. If you're float fishing for chinook or chum, I'd say stay away from it. If you're targeting coho and steelhead, pinks and trout/char, you can't beat it for chucking spoons/bobber fishing bait/twitching jigs/etc. Heck I've even used it all year bottom bouncing sockeye without a single problem.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 08:12:09 PM by Every Day »

NOFF

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 12:27:37 PM »

Anyone know where to get ether a "Shimano Convergence" (Steelhead & Salmon Rod) & the "Fenwick HMX" (Steelhead & Salmon Rod) 9.6 ft, 8-12 lb

In the Okanagan OR lower mainland, preferably Langley-Abby area

Thanks

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 03:37:06 PM »

Try Wholesale Sports, Freds in Abby or any of the local Canadian Tires bud. Good luck

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 05:04:43 PM »

Anyone know where to get ether a "Shimano Convergence" (Steelhead & Salmon Rod) & the "Fenwick HMX" (Steelhead & Salmon Rod) 9.6 ft, 8-12 lb

In the Okanagan OR lower mainland, preferably Langley-Abby area

Thanks

Army And Navy in Langley

wonder

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 07:50:05 PM »

X2 for the convergence if you want a drift rod, you can get those and hmx at freds abby

NOFF

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 08:14:23 PM »

I would guess only get the "Steelhead and Salmon" model as there's like 5 diff models of each correct?

kindalonismo

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 09:23:19 PM »

[quote author=Every Day link=topic=36307.msg344079#msg344079 date=1409108937
Get a TFO spinning rod, 4-8 pounds. Cabela's had a few last time I was in there.
I pair it with a Penn Fierce 2000 spinning reel with 15 pound braid.
It's been awesome for Kitty and I on salmon, trout, char and steelhead.]

Sorry to jack the thread, but was thinking of adding a spinning rod to the arsenal after trying some fishing from the beach this summer.  What length of rod do you prefer Everyday?  Cheers
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:25:31 PM by kindalonismo »

NOFF

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 09:55:05 PM »

I was looking at the TFO that kitty posted. Did you get the flyrod/spiner combo or what model exact?

I wanted one for float fishing but also i could use the rod for casting spinners too!
(One thats versatile for both)
For cohos, pinks, even if i get a big spring or chum.

The thing is, i can always get a normal casting rod with the new baitcaster I get and just switch the rods that I use for (rivers / lakes) if i get a 12 LB line then it could work for both thoughts?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 10:29:05 PM »

Sorry to jack the thread, but was thinking of adding a spinning rod to the arsenal after trying some fishing from the beach this summer.  What length of rod do you prefer Everyday?  Cheers

I normally stick with 9'6". It seems to be standard length for spinning rods in the action/weight ratings I like. I don't like shorter as it generally effects casting distance. Lots of guys use longer ones for spinning off the beach (13 feet or so). It gives you an extra 20 feet casting distance if you have the right rod, which can be key at times off the beach, but I've gotten by just fine with the 9'6".

I was looking at the TFO that kitty posted. Did you get the flyrod/spiner combo or what model exact?

I wanted one for float fishing but also i could use the rod for casting spinners too!
(One thats versatile for both)
For cohos, pinks, even if i get a big spring or chum.

The thing is, i can always get a normal casting rod with the new baitcaster I get and just switch the rods that I use for (rivers / lakes) if i get a 12 LB line then it could work for both thoughts?

The rod is a TFO STS 962-2 9'6" 4-8 pnds casting rod.

It won't work with a baitcasting reel on it (at least this model). It might work with a pin on it, I haven't tried yet. They may have a baitcasting model in this rod, not sure. I'd say it's worth looking into though, it's probably the best rod in it's price range I've ever used... actually I'd say it's in the class of Loomis and the like (this series for TFO is actually designed by Loomis).

Cheers,
Dan