Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Want help buying Jet Boat  (Read 29261 times)

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
Re: Want help buying Jet Boat
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 10:21:43 PM »

that's a wooldridge boat. i prob will be buying a wooldridge Alaskan as my next boat but the 17'8 model.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 03:28:54 PM »

-If we find a boat we really like but the motor is equipped with a propellor...is it a huge expense to have it converted to a jet? About how much $ are we taking roughly?
converting to a jet could be expensive I would call Cascade marine. The motor will need to be raised and not all motors are compatible with the jet heads

-If a motor has a jet on it, how do I know if the horsepower indicated on it is its power with the jet in place, or do I need to subtract the 30%? For example, I know a 90 outboard with a propellor on it is putting out 90hp. But what if I go to look at a used boat with a 90hp outboard equipped with a jet? If the jet was installed after market it would really be more like a 60hp now. I think my question makes sense. I guess what I am wondering is can I find somewhere other than the bonnet what the rated hp is of the motor?
The model number should indicate the power head hp at least in mercury it does not sure of others. Here is a serial number brakedown
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc/Mercury/2009/parts.html

-As far as the min 12 degree hull thing...does it say anywhere (transom stamp etc) these specs? What's the big deal with the hull degree anyway? Is there a point where too much becomes a bad thing? For instance 12 degrees = good. 14 degrees = bad?

Hull degree is comfort in rough water, higher degree will cut threw waves, low degree or flat bottom will pound. With a jet boat, flat bottom boats need less water to run on step (up on plane). Since you don't sound like your ripping threw 6" of water I thought comfort was more important. 10degree Will be fine, but 12 and 14deg. Would make your wife happy on a rough ride home. 18+degree hulls are ocean boats to cut threw waves.
Flat bottom, modified and 6 degree hulls are more extream shallow type boats. Some have tunnels to raise the engine even higher but that's another thread.
Also flat bottom and wider bottom widths are more stable at rest, I like wide boats.
Other then looking at the shape of the hull by the drain plug, not sure about degree markings on the hull. But you will see a distinct v shape at the rear of the boat. Maybe a protractor to give you an idea of shape.  after looking at hulls over time you will see the difference.

If money were not an issue I'd just go to a dealer and help me pick the custom boat of my dreams. Unfortunaely we are only looking at used boats and there is never a garuntee that the seller will know what he's talking about or be honest, so I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 03:35:26 PM »

Found this boat on Craigslist Oregon. Has a 6 degree hull. 6 degrees = bad? If so can someone explain why? In previous comments it has been suggested to go with at least a 12 degree hull.

http://portland.craigslist.org/grg/boa/4637940266.html

This boat is not really what I'm looking for, but I'd appreciate some feedback on why it may not be that suitable for out rivers.
Nice boat, a little bumpy in rough water that's why he has air ride seats. That mercury looks old mid. 90's maybe

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 04:57:07 PM »

Does any one have an opinion on the Lowe or G3 john boats for Fraser use? A guy on my street has a 17-56 Lowe Roughneck with a 60/40 Yamaha outboard jet. I had a good chat with him one day while walking my dog past his house and he was outside. He says he uses it all the time on the Fraser and absolutley LOVES it. I've never been on a boat like this. It looks like it sits pretty low to the water, I think my wife and I would feel more comfortable on a "real" jet boat like a Harbercraft, North River, etc. Although I've heard these johns are super stable.

I'm sure they would be fine on lakes to anchor up and cast, but I wonder how they would do with a kicker and trolling? According to the guy with the boat, the previous owner had a 55lb thrust electric on it and trolled with it all the time. This boat has the modified V nose, not all flat. I'm guessing it would cut water fairly well for trolling but would get pretty slappy if the waves picked up.

We still like the "real" jet boats best but we are starting to think that we want some other toys too (quad, etc) and maybe buying a boat in the $20,000 range with comparatively high operating costs isn't the best way to go. The guy with the Lowe offered to take us out for a day on the Fraser this fall so we can experience what it is like to fish off it, drive it, etc.

He says the 60/40 is adaquet power for 3 adults but starts to suck a bit with 4 guys.

If anyone has any experience with these boats and would like to share their thoughts I'm all ears ;D

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 01:25:52 PM »

I have a 1648AW (all weld) Fisher Jon boat with a modified V front. Very similar you're neighbour's roughneck (just smaller). It's a great boat for getting out and about on the Fraser, Harrison and other smaller rivers. However it is not meant for heavy swells or waves, and you really have to slow down and approach waves from tugboats and barges with caution. I've also used my boat on a number of lakes big and small, and had no issues. I don't run the jet unless it's a really big lake; instead I use my Minn Kota 55lb thrust electric to push me around.

I love my little jet, but my next boat will be a larger 18-20' welded aluminum boat with an outboard prop. Something that I can use in the ocean, or fish comfortably with 4 people under a bimini top.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 01:57:15 PM »

60/40 is not enough power in my opinion. my 50/35 feels like a dog with three adults. heres another boat i would strongly consider. i think its a good compromise between shallow running and being able to go in the ocean to drop some downriggers if you wanted too. also if could handle 4 adults easily.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/4669435886.html

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 02:26:40 PM »

Ive got a 1660 sportsman with a 60/40 and it is low on power with 3people.
also wish I had a windshield
http://www.americananglerboats.com/showroom/boats/fishing/sportsman

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2014, 05:32:54 PM »

Thanks for the links guys. Bigblockfox, I did check out that link a week or so ago and the boat looked AWESOME! I forget the price 25,000 USD I think. That price range is a bit too high for us esp with the crappy exchange rate right now. I think we'd like to be "all in" (incl taxes and exchange rate if applicable) at somewhere around 20,000 CAD max. Less is always better! :D

Found these two boats recently. Does anyone have an opinion on them? With the 16ft Klamath a 40hp jet seems a bit underpowered? No? I'm assuming this motor is a 60/40, in other words it is putting out 40hp with the jet.

The 1652 G3 looks nice too. However we'd really like to be able to get the boat we buy in our garage and this funky covered top will never clear the overhang. Also the boat has pretty minimal weight capacity. Probably alright for 2 ppl but 3 or 4 looks like it would be well baove the rated weight. All opinions appreciated.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/4697303731.html

http://skagit.craigslist.org/boa/4668035293.html

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 12:25:02 PM »

Was checking out Bridgeview's boats at the Tradex boat show the other day. We quite liked the 15 foot aluminum with the center (well, on the right side) console. One we were looking at had a 50 Merc prop but talking with the guys it wouldnt be much more to swap it out to a 90/65 jet. $16G ish incl trailer. Not planning to buy one but we did really like it and are doing more research on them and who knows, maybe buy one. Interested in what ya'll think of them, if anyone has one and what they think of it, etc.

Here is the plain boat:

http://bridgeviewmarine.com/boat-shop/marlon-boats/marlon-svw15-welded-utility-boat/

Combo is simialr to this. Cant find the exact one we were looking at on their site.

http://bridgeviewmarine.com/boat-shop/marlon-boats/marlon-svw17%e2%80%b2-welded-utility-boat-with-center-console/

Plan to use boat for zipping around the Fraser, larger lakes, etc.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 09:21:57 AM »

Anyone have thought(s)/opinion(s) on the Marlins for Fraser use?

Anyone...? Bueller?...

penn

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 11:42:48 AM »

For the Fraser any deeper v boat with a prop is at risk for hitting stuff under the water like dead heads and such . You do a lot of damage to your out board hitting things like dead heads , which is why people use jet-boats for the rivers .  I myself would not invest in an expensive non jet-boat for river usage . That boat looks more like it would be suited for taking out fishing in the salt from what I can see . I'm sure it would do fine on a lake as long as you are able to launch it . But YOU need to decide or yourself what you want . That boat would probably be okay with a jet drive , rather than a prop . Why don't you just talk to the dealer ?

chromeo

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2015, 08:00:37 PM »

If your familiar with harrison and fraser navigation then a outboard with a leg is totally fine.  Its when you want to explore new spots and don't pay attention to water levels is when you get in trouble.  Those marlon boats are the same as the river hawk boats and i think they're a great value but i would go 17 cause you can never have enough space.  Marine one in langley has the river hawk models but they are 16-18'.

penn

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2015, 08:33:21 AM »

If your familiar with harrison and fraser navigation then a outboard with a leg is totally fine.  Its when you want to explore new spots and don't pay attention to water levels is when you get in trouble.  Those marlon boats are the same as the river hawk boats and i think they're a great value but i would go 17 cause you can never have enough space.  Marine one in langley has the river hawk models but they are 16-18'.
Yes you can get by with a regular outboard if you know the area , most of the time . I used to do it myself a fair bit and only hit stuff under water two times . Once shearing the splines in the prop and the other time , bending the prop shaft.  Neither time was I able to see what it was I hit even though I stopped to see what it was . I presume it was a piece of wood under the water . I was still able to move along though both times , the sheared splines were still able to hold at lower speed and the bent shaft still worked enough for me to get back but did shake badly .
 But the rest of the times I was out I was okay  :).  If you want to take the risk that's up to you , you may never hit anything, but there is always a risk factor . I always tried to avoid going downstream from where I launched so at least I would be able to drift back to my start point If I had a problem .

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2015, 05:00:25 PM »

Well...we didn't find a jet boat last year that we liked enough to buy so we are looking hard this spring/summer to find one we like enough to purchase. We spent a bit of money on this and that over the winter and right now the top end of our budget would be $17000ish but would like to find something morein the 12-15K range so we have a couple grand left over if we need to have mods made, buy stuff for the boat, etc. Right now we're looking at 3 boats and have emailed the sellers for more info. I'd like to hear any feedback from ya'll regarding asking price or anything else good/bad you can think of about the boats.

Boat #1. 60-50 Lowe Roughneck with 60/40 Merc jet.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/vanderhoof/jet-boat-15-000-firm/1076789017?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Only a year old. Pretty straight forward here. Asking price seems about right considering it's only a year old. People have said the 60/40 on this boat is a bit of a dog with more than 2 ppl on board. Also, I don't really like on these boats how the bow and stern are raised up close to the level of the gunwale. Why is this??? I'm guessing the fuel tanks, batteries, storage etc are underneath? For lakes I would not be so worried, but in bigger rivers like the Fraser I don't know if I want to be up that high above the floor of the boat trying to pull in a monster sturgeon or whatever! One move and it could be in the drink  ???

Boat #2. 16 foot Harbercraft with 90/65 Yamaha jet.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/terrace/16-foot-harbercraft-jet-boat/1071167150?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I like this boat the most of all that is currently for sale in our price range. I've been in contact with the seller through email and it seems like it has been well kept, guy says he has all service records, etc.

Boat #3. 16 foot Smokercraft with 90/65 Merc jet.

http://redding.craigslist.org/boa/5063643453.html

Love this boat too, but it's in California and I'm not really up for buying a boat from the US (esp that far) unless it is a super sweet boat and acceptable price after the exchange rate. I relaly like the floor plan on this boat. Like how the stern is at floor level and the two benches perpendicular to the driver would function well as extra seating. If this boat were local-ish we would already have gone to check it out.

Another thing, all of these boats are far away! If the boats in Vanderhoof and Terrace are still for sale in a month we are going to see them when we go to Smithers for 2 weeks. As far as the Smokercraft in California...I dunno...I contacted the seller by email with several questions, if all goes well we may drive down. I kind of ruled out buying a US baot with the exchange rate so crappy, but this one does look pretty sweet.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2015, 09:13:13 PM »

Boat 1 is under powered

Boat 2 I like, you pay more for quality and this boat is quality. I don't like carpet in a sled.

Boat 3 is my exact boat, except for the railing and mine has a 40 jet which is under powered. I love the layout. It's econo but the price reflects that.  I've used it in the ocean but it "oil cans" in rough water. Boat 2 shouldn't do that.

My vote is boat 2