Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Want help buying Jet Boat  (Read 29089 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Want help buying Jet Boat
« on: August 23, 2014, 09:41:14 PM »

The misses and I have wanted a jet boat for some time and this coming winter/spring we hope to buy one. I'm hoping ya'll can give us some tips in buying the "right" boat.

First off we are not looking to buy new. 10 years old or so would be about the oldest I'd like to go, preferably newer. Price range would be $25,00ish max but somewhere in the $20,000 range would be nice. We like the Harbercrafts, North Rivers, Thunderjets, etc. 16, 18 or 19 feet would all be good sizes. We would take the boat mainly in the Fraser but would also want a kicker to use for lake trolling.

A few random questions/thoughts:

-Do we really NEED a jet driven motor??? Is having a propellor asking for trouble??? Considering we will be beaching it on bars, zipping through shallow water etc I would much prefer to have a jet motor and we have pretty much ruled out buying a motor with a propellor. But I'm interested in any dissenting opinions on jet vs propellor for out type of fishing.

-Out board vs. inboard? Pro vs cons??? Is one more costly to maintain than the other??? I like the room at the stern of the boat with an inboard, but the bonnet takes up a lot of room inside the boat. On the flipside I like the room inside the baot that an outboard frees up, but it you cant confortably net a fish off the back of the boat etc.

-If possible, we would like something that is not too insane on fuel. We want to have enough power to zip from spot to spot at a reasonable speed, and get off the water at a reasonable speed if the weather gets ugly. However, the boat does not need to be much faster than that.

-Generally it would just be the two of us on the boat. But we would like enough room/motor power to carry 4-5 adults on occasion.

For kicks we looked at new boats at Cascade in Chilliwack (where we live). We REALLY liked on 16 foot they had. Forget the brand it may have been a Kingfisher. Came with a 110 Merc outboard jet if I remember correctly. Cost was $25,000ish which is more than we would like to spend as the boat is "naked" and still needs electronics, kicker, etc.

It seems that all the 16 footers have an outboard in the 100hp range, no inboards. I'm guessing a 16 footer would be too tight for space inside the boat with an inboard?

So far, based on just looking online and at Cascade, we like the 16footer with the outboard jet the most. This boat seems more than roomy enough inside. Also, if POSSIBLE we would like a boat/trailer that will fit in our garage that is 21feet long. Yes we can park it in the driveway but it would be nice to kep it in our garage when not in use.

This boat on Cascad's website is similar to the one we were looking at but not the one.

http://www.cascademarine.com/Page.aspx/diid/7633944/list/InventoryList/pageId/123713/view/Details/2013-Lowe-Deep-V-Fish-FM165-Pro-WT.aspx

Any tips on the above thoughts would be much appreciated. Also any tips on buying a used jet boat would also be appreciated. Our plan is to (hopefully) find one we like used and pay to have it inspected by a marine mechanic. If nothing major comes up in the inspection and the price is right - buy it.

sg6804

Re: Want help buying Jet Boat
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 10:04:10 PM »

i would buy the used north river that cascade has , bet you get it in your price range  , i own a TJ and love it but i really like the north rivers to

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 11:48:42 PM »

i would go with an 18 minimum. i have a 16 and i feel i could use the extra footage especially if you want to have four people. i kind of like this boat but never heard of river hawk. the price is right anyway.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/bod/4633479307.html

greese30

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 08:26:27 AM »

I have heard that an inboard jet will have a typical lifespan of 400 hours.  A friend recently hit that mark and now the engine is in the shop getting $8000 worth of repairs.  Something to consider if buying used.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 10:04:02 AM »

I have heard that an inboard jet will have a typical lifespan of 400 hours.  A friend recently hit that mark and now the engine is in the shop getting $8000 worth of repairs.  Something to consider if buying used.
400 hours is nothing, 2 stroke should get 2500hours and 4 stroke should get 4000hours if maintained properly.
$8000 is more then a new inboard motor installed

Sage2106

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 11:05:37 AM »

That's cause people are idiots. Would you jump in your car and take it to 4000 rpm cold? Closing in on 600 hrs on my inboard with nothing but routine maitnence.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 05:54:57 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys. The main question I am still struggling with is.....should I narrow my search only to boats that are jet driven? My father in law runs a 14 foot deep V on the fraser with a 25hp outboard. He has damaged his propellor MANY times and had to replace it more than once. However I reckon it it rather difficult to quickly heave the motor up a notch or two to bring the prop up if you are in shallow water; whereas if you had hydraulic power tilt or whatever it's called you could do it quickly with a control while at the steering wheel.

We are fairly conservative fishermen. No plans to roar up the Vedder during high water and try to reach the Tamahai bridge or anything insane like that. We would just be going out on the fraser, anchoring up here and there, beaching the boat here and there on bars, etc. No "hot dogging" etc...

I like that propellor driven motors don't lose the 30% power that the jets do, so it makes sense to me that one can get away with a smaller motor, burining less gas each trip, etc. Also from what I have heard there is more $ in maintenance with a jet motor (impellor, etc).

I like the "added security" of the jet, I think I would feel more confident having one fishing various rivers. However I'm still not sure for the type/style of fishing we plan to do if a jet is the best choice. I would like to hear from anyone who runs a smaller boat like a 16 footer with an outboard propellor in the 90hp range. Do you wish you had/bought a jet motor instead?

greese30

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 07:33:04 PM »

Good to hear about the hours.  I thought 400 seemed strangely low! 

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 10:03:20 PM »

The Fraser below Mission a jet is not needed, if you know nothing about the river above mission and start exploring, the jet will be less stressful.

Shimming an impeller is easy and I do it once a year, but not necessary inless you suck up pebbles and sand.

My 2 stroke 60/40 jet seems under powered but I can get away with 3 big guys a cooler full of fish and gear for the day. My friend has a similar boat but a 4 stroke and he can only have 2 people and gear.

My 60/40 burns lots of fuel, considering the size.  For round trips from Fort langley to mission it burns $80
I love my jet, and wouldn't change a thing, except more hp. lol

You need an 18' boat with a minimum 12 deg. Bottom for comfort in rough water and a 200 sport jet with a stomp grate. Get it with a windshield, standup top and drop curtains, the slope back cover option is nice when left outside or at a dock for the night. Also a swing away tongue on the trailer for your garage

If you don't like the sport jet idea, you could get an outboard jet 130+hp for cheaper alternative or minimum 115hp prop. on a jack plate.

Good luck in the search
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 10:04:53 PM by canso »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 11:53:34 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys. The main question I am still struggling with is.....should I narrow my search only to boats that are jet driven? My father in law runs a 14 foot deep V on the fraser with a 25hp outboard. He has damaged his propellor MANY times and had to replace it more than once. However I reckon it it rather difficult to quickly heave the motor up a notch or two to bring the prop up if you are in shallow water; whereas if you had hydraulic power tilt or whatever it's called you could do it quickly with a control while at the steering wheel.

We are fairly conservative fishermen. No plans to roar up the Vedder during high water and try to reach the Tamahai bridge or anything insane like that. We would just be going out on the fraser, anchoring up here and there, beaching the boat here and there on bars, etc. No "hot dogging" etc...

I like that propellor driven motors don't lose the 30% power that the jets do, so it makes sense to me that one can get away with a smaller motor, burining less gas each trip, etc. Also from what I have heard there is more $ in maintenance with a jet motor (impellor, etc).

I like the "added security" of the jet, I think I would feel more confident having one fishing various rivers. However I'm still not sure for the type/style of fishing we plan to do if a jet is the best choice. I would like to hear from anyone who runs a smaller boat like a 16 footer with an outboard propellor in the 90hp range. Do you wish you had/bought a jet motor instead?

I had a 16 footer with a 90 and I went past Mission once with it and managed to hit the prop.
Like already said,if you plan on fishing above the mouth of the Vedder or other skinny water a jet is the way to go.
If you plan on mostly fishing lakes and the ocean then a jet isn't the best option.
There is no one boat that can do it all.
PS the bottom comes up quicker than any power tilt.  :o
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 11:55:45 PM by firstlight »

dboy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 02:26:57 PM »

"You need an 18' boat with a minimum 12 deg. Bottom for comfort in rough water and a 200 sport jet with a stomp grate. Get it with a windshield, standup top and drop curtains, the slope back cover option is nice when left outside or at a dock for the night. Also a swing away tongue on the trailer for your garage"

I agree with Canso.

I just bought a 2002 18 foot weldcraft, V8, 50 hours for substantially less than what you've indicated as budget.  It is a great boat for application  described. Very comfortable for trolling Allouette Kokanee or Sheridan rainbows and rips around the Fraser worry free.  It is 12 degrees, so the ride is pretty decent, but will plane slightly deeper. I'm hesitant to explore the real skinny stuff (but sounds like that's not your intention anyway).

The V8 is pretty thirsty, about 1L per 1.5km.  I imagine a smaller V6 sportjet would be a little more economical to run. 

Personally I am glad I didn't go with a smaller "sled" the 18 inboard is so much more versatile. Sweet for camping trips, swimming off the platform, tubing etc etc.

sg6804

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 03:06:20 PM »

Just for a comparison ,  I run a 2014 Thunder jet 21 foot with fuel injected Kodiak 350 and Hamilton 212 pump  with full hardtop and  high deck so its not a light unit . On average burning  7.5 gallons an hour i like to cruise at 30 mph at 3400 rpm =7 .5 gallons per hour .
 A good friend is running  2010 115 outboard merc jet on a 16ft harbercraft with a canvas top . He is getting 6.5 gph plus 2 stroke oil on top of that and cruising at 28mph at 4800rpm, all in all  at the end of the day not much difference in running costs  .

Morty

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 04:00:15 PM »

Here's my 2bits worth from 10 years of jetting the Fraser.
 - inboard jets are more efficient, water-in water-out no swirling it around a venturi to get thrust
 - inboard jets don't have that big machine hanging on the stern to fight around when you've got a big Spring on
 - inboards keep weight closer to front and load better on the trailer.
 - had stomp gate & no grate.  you do lose thrust with a grate but they do cut down the rock damage
 - if you're jetting in a lake, buy a jet weed rake
 - I've had 16' and 18' and the extra floor space in the 18 is WELL WORTH the investment (the bow & stern are already built, so all the extra is in the middle of the boat - 1' wider x 2' longer = about 18 sq. ft. more room)
 - have owned Alumaweld and North RIver Sportster/Trapper   The Alumaweld handled chop better and tracked more positively.

Personally had a regular outboard for one year and with props constantly in shop quickly change to jet.
Best friend has 15' with outboard - on Fraser in the areas of Grassy to Harrison every day from Spring opening to Sockeye close and he's had no prop damage.  (he's way more cautious than me )
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 05:27:46 PM »

Thanks for all the replies guys :D I just read through them all again and have a few more questions. Oh and I should mention that we've decided based on the areas we plan to venture in the river, our level of confidence etc, that we are going to go with a jet not a propellor. Anyways...

-If we find a boat we really like but the motor is equipped with a propellor...is it a huge expense to have it converted to a jet? About how much $ are we taking roughly?

-If a motor has a jet on it, how do I know if the horsepower indicated on it is its power with the jet in place, or do I need to subtract the 30%? For example, I know a 90 outboard with a propellor on it is putting out 90hp. But what if I go to look at a used boat with a 90hp outboard equipped with a jet? If the jet was installed after market it would really be more like a 60hp now. I think my question makes sense. I guess what I am wondering is can I find somewhere other than the bonnet what the rated hp is of the motor?

-As far as the min 12 degree hull thing...does it say anywhere (transom stamp etc) these specs? What's the big deal with the hull degree anyway? Is there a point where too much becomes a bad thing? For instance 12 degrees = good. 14 degrees = bad?

If money were not an issue I'd just go to a dealer and help me pick the custom boat of my dreams. Unfortunaely we are only looking at used boats and there is never a garuntee that the seller will know what he's talking about or be honest, so I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 09:23:08 PM »

Found this boat on Craigslist Oregon. Has a 6 degree hull. 6 degrees = bad? If so can someone explain why? In previous comments it has been suggested to go with at least a 12 degree hull.

http://portland.craigslist.org/grg/boa/4637940266.html

This boat is not really what I'm looking for, but I'd appreciate some feedback on why it may not be that suitable for out rivers.