Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hole in the wall - Chinook  (Read 4721 times)

fisharoo

Hole in the wall - Chinook
« on: August 15, 2014, 05:07:09 PM »

Would someone kindly share when Hole in the wall or Horseshoe Bay to Sunset Marina area is good for fishing for Chinook? Whenever I call the Marina's up there, there's always some teenage girl that answers and no-one else is around.

Would also love to know if it's better on the high slack or low slack.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Re: Hole in the wall - Chinook
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 05:35:05 PM »

I haven't heard mention of the Hole in the Wall for years.   It used to be considered a place for feeder chinook in late winter using live herring.

fisharoo

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 05:38:22 PM »

Thanks VAGAbond. I take it you're not fishing in those parts these days? There must be some Chinook stopping there on their way up to Squamish.

fisharoo

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 05:40:43 PM »

Which begs my second question. When is peak of the Squamish Chinook? I'm guessing it's already past perhaps? End of July??

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 06:52:37 PM »

The peak of the summer white chinook migration into the Squamish River system is right about now. Spawning is just starting and is for the most part complete by the third week in September.

chief

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 09:23:47 PM »

Check sewelsmarina.com/fishingreport for latest info

fisharoo

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 07:06:38 AM »

Thanks Chief. Looks like it is still fishing well. When does that fishery start and end?

fisharoo

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 07:26:05 AM »

anyone here fishing up there? or is everyone still sockeye crazy?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 08:45:44 AM »

Thanks Chief. Looks like it is still fishing well. When does that fishery start and end?
that report is over a week old. The Squamish run is an early summer run and tails off pretty rapidly around the end of July into August. Hole in the Wall may fish better mid to late summer as there I think there are still springs headed for the Cap which is a fall run. It's probably worth a shot right to Labour Day.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fisharoo

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 08:56:47 AM »

What about the Defense islands up the sound? Are those kind dry this time of year? or are there some good chinook staging there before heading up squamish?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 10:27:23 AM »

McNab Creek & Brittania Beach were always the spots in the upper sound. Defense Islands usually had some coho around and I'd bet there would be a good chance for springs
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fisharoo

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 02:14:19 PM »

Thanks RalphH. I've always wanted to do a trip over to McNab Creek. I heard it used to have great steelhead fishing in the river too. So many nice fishing spots that were good "back in the day". I have my fingers crossed for them to recover in the future. The squamish stream keepers improvement of the herring spawning grounds around the terminals is the first step. If we can get the herring back in good numbers there and along their migration route past Powell River (were herring has been destroyed) we can expect to bring it back to former glory.