Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New toy - questions  (Read 6395 times)

Lyall

New toy - questions
« on: August 11, 2014, 11:46:26 PM »

Hi all,

So I got Keith at Primus Metalcraft to install a custom anchor roller set-up on my new (to me) jet...also got an anchor from him. Amazing work at a reasonable price. Highly recommend taking your boat to him.

Lots of saltwater experience but pretty new to the river scene, so I've got a few questions.
Boat is 19'. Anchor is 35lb, hand-bomb set-up.

1)  Thinking 19' of 5/16" galvanized chain and 150' of 1/2" rope - does this sound about right?
2) What size buoy's do you guys use to keep your anchor line afloat for when you go chase/land a big fish? 15"-18" diameter?
3) No real hideaway place to store the rope and chain. Any ideas on the best storage system? Seen a few systems ranging from an old milk crate to a loose storage bag...open to suggestions...
4) Any recommendations on where to go to get anchor rope/chain/buoy at the best price?
5) Safety measures include life jackets, paddles, flares, lighters and fire starter, first aid kit, small tool kit, spare drain plug, spare spark plug, extra rope, knife....lots of room for storage...anything else I should be including?

Going out with an experienced jet guy for some training and show me the ropes ect., so don't fret.

Thanks in advance

wonder

Re: New toy - questions
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 06:41:56 AM »

For rope i would recommend giving firstlight on this forum a message or check the buy and sell on here, me and a couple of my fishing friends all use rope from him for anchor rope

coldfinger

• always thankful
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 06:55:28 AM »

:) x 2 on the 1/2 inch rope from First light! Great stuff, good price …nice guy!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 07:56:49 AM »

Thanks for the kind words guys.
I do still have some rope available but they are only 70 footers.
Would need to tie a couple together if your looking for longer but I will save you some money.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 08:50:08 AM »

I bought a 70' from firstlight and I'm very happy with the quality and price for that rope. Recommend him 100%!  ;) :)

Lyall

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 05:05:41 PM »

Thanks for the info! Firstlight please send me an email at speytime@gmail.com

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 06:31:40 PM »

email sent Lyall  :)

robj

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 07:59:21 PM »

For my 18 foot I need a fire extinguisher which I think you will need also. As far as oars, you can have an anchor or a manual propulsion device, I don't have oars on board. I also need a whistle or horn, flash light as well as some other stuff. You can check the regs to make sure you have everything. Make sure you have your boaters card, not having it can get expensive. Also insurance is a good thing as well.

capman

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 05:08:07 AM »

Robj, you mentioned insurance and that's something I need to get for my boat. Any particular insurance you would recommend?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 06:32:54 AM »

Lyall ?

robj

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 07:23:10 AM »

Robj, you mentioned insurance and that's something I need to get for my boat. Any particular insurance you would recommend?

The cost of insurance varies widely and also what they will cover. For example Canadian Direct will not cover operation in the Fraser. Ridiculous.  What I did was ask my insurance agent to get quotes from different providers. I have a boat and jet ski but they are insured by two different companies. Beacon is one of them, don't remember the other one. Annual cost is around $300 with theft and $1 mil liability. Make sure you read the fine print.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 07:36:40 AM by robj »

vandenhooff

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 09:42:38 PM »

The cost of insurance varies widely and also what they will cover. For example Canadian Direct will not cover operation in the Fraser. Ridiculous.  What I did was ask my insurance agent to get quotes from different providers. I have a boat and jet ski but they are insured by two different companies. Beacon is one of them, don't remember the other one. Annual cost is around $300 with theft and $1 mil liability. Make sure you read the fine print.

1. Talk to an insurance agent that knows his/her stuff
2. If you have a couple of cars, a boat & trailer, motorbike, etc. look into umbrella liability policy. Basically you buy $1 million each through ICBC and a $4 million umbrella policy from the agent and then each has $5 million in liability coverage. Much cheaper than buying $5 million for each on separate policies. The only risk you are taking by doing this is if all your toys are involved in the same accident. A very unlikely event.

I'm not an agent, but I'm fairly certain that's the basic idea. We have this coverage on our three vehicles and our boat & trailer.