Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: saltspring Island St Mary's what do i use  (Read 8937 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Re: saltspring Island St Mary's what do i use
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 01:51:14 PM »

Caught some perch.  But mostly bass
see ya on the river

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 02:02:24 PM »

Gotta find steep drop offs into 20ft+ of water to find some smallies active in this heat.  Drop down plastic worms, troll a carolina rig or jig some tube baits.  If you have a deep diving crank bait, give that a go along drop offs.

bald_seagull

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 08:22:29 PM »

drop shop rig up a tube jig green with black flakes or pumpkin with black flakes
always produced for me in ontario if the lake is 70+ farhenheit the fish will be deep once the sun wakes up

lake simcoe message board will have tons of tips as the key species in lake simcoe are smallies and lakers

Shawn6o4

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 10:24:11 PM »

Would anyone recommend a tackle shop that has a decent selection of bass lures?

Alexi

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 06:43:38 AM »

Hi, JettaB, we are heading there today, have been checking your "full report" everyday :), any advice will be appreciated.
Alexi

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 05:07:36 PM »

Sorry.  I tell ya. Life gets in the way of fishing

Quick point form here and I will do a report

- use mr twisters.  (Plastic tail with a jig head)

Use the boat and get in 30 feet or so of water in the day.  You can jig or cast.  Just get real low.

At night try the shallows.

Also a slip float with shrimp works. You will get perch but if you do just move deeper

I got 3 trout on the fly trolling a spratley

Rapalla also works.

The bigger the sight the better

see ya on the river

fish fishburn

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 03:40:29 PM »

Get yourself some 1/8 oz tube jigs and a few bags of 3 1/2 inch tubes in green with black flecks and also brown with black flecks. A small assortment of spinnerbaits in 1/8 oz to 1/4 oz. Don't forget topwater baits. They love to bust top water baits like the Pop R and chug bug. Also some 4 inch Senkos rigged wacky style. Google wacky rigged baits and you will see what I mean. Throw them weightless with just a hook.

Tubes are by far the best producer most of the time, followed by spinnerbaits. A 6 to 7 ft light to medium action spinning rod and reel with 6 lb mono and your good to go. If you decide to fish largies you will need a heavy action rod with at least 20 ld test mono. I use 50 lb braid but our largies here in eastern ont are probably a lot bigger. You need the heavy rod and line to horse them out of the slop. If you cant find any of these items send me your address and I will send you some. I have shoe boxes full of this chit because that's what I fish here. Have been a tournament fisherman for 25 yrs.

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 03:52:29 PM »

Sure wish I had all your advice and help the last couple times I tried fishing here. Sadly, the weather was stormy and they weren't taking my offerings so I switched to fishing sea-run Cutties and wasn't disappointed. Great advice! I'll know for next time. I hear there's some large bass here.
There is pleasure in the pathless woods

George Gordon Byron

Shawn6o4

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 03:47:06 PM »

When you guys use rapala and other bass lures do you generally use 2 single barbless hooks on the lure or one? Never used these types of lure before. Also any suggestions on a tackle store with good bass soft plastics? I was at army and navy in new west and all they had were a few colors of Berkley ghost shrimp and small curly tails. Or anyone willing to part with some bass gear shoot me an email shawn.sepia@gmail.com

thanks
Shawn

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 03:50:57 PM »

I buy Yum senkos at wholesale sports smallies love that stuff.But make sure to buy a few packs because 1 worm=4 fish
I know how to catch fish.......Sometimes.

Shawn6o4

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 07:48:03 AM »

Thanks metal and feathers

featherchucker

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 11:52:17 PM »

I lived on saltspring for a number of years and the fishing is usually great just about any time of the year.The trout fishing can be really good as well as I have caught and released many trout in the18 to 24 inch range[2 to 4 lbs].Not alot of big sized bass but the odd one hits the 4 lb or larger range, but most are quite small now as there are too many of them competing for the food. Cusheon lake has cutties and a few BIG bass, and weston has good catch and release fly fishing for rainbows and cutties.All lakes there have trout in them and the fly fishing in the fulford bay can be good for small coho, pinks and sea cutties at certain times.

Drewhill

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2014, 11:56:22 AM »

This is one that I got in June. Lost another around this size. There are some good size fish in there.

(It was hooked in the mouth. Came out when we boated it.)

Shawn6o4

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2014, 01:49:40 PM »

I have a question about what type of rod I should use?  Is an ultra light 1-4lb daiwa too lite or should I use something like a 4-10lb rod? I've never fished the for bass so have no idea.

Drewhill

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2014, 05:06:45 PM »

4-10