Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Visiting Vancouver, need fly fishing advice  (Read 2505 times)

Slouw

Visiting Vancouver, need fly fishing advice
« on: July 31, 2014, 09:06:17 PM »

Hi, all. I am visiting Vancouver on mid August since this is the first time in Vancouver so, I need some advice which river to go (fishable) for fly fishing. I heard a lot about capilano river and vedder. Which one you guys recommend for fly fishing. Do I need 6,7 or 8 wt? How Is fishing license in Vancouver? If I purchase a fishing license, can in use it in all Vancouver or I have to buy the specific license? Thank you in advance.

ajransom

Re: Visiting Vancouver, need fly fishing advice
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 01:53:31 PM »

In BC we have two basic licences: freshwater and saltwater. For the capilano and Vedder you will need a freshwater licence. A freshwater licence is good for the whole province for freshwater fisheries. However, if you plan to retain salmon, you will need to also buy a salmon tag (which you can do at the same time as you buy the licence). Here is the link to buy a freshwater licence: http://www.fishing.gov.bc.ca

If you plan to fish in saltwater, or in the tidal portion of the Fraser river, you will also need a saltwater licence (through the DFO). As a visitor, prices are pretty steep so probably a good idea to plan. You need to also print out the licence and carry it with you.

It's salmon season so if you want to fly fish for salmon you are best with a 8 weight and a sink tip line. An 8 weight is a good all round salmon rod, but a 7 will do if you don't have an 8. Vedder has way more fish but the crowds can be bad, esp on weekends, and it's a good 90 min drive fr Vancouver. As far as trout go, it's pretty slow right now in the rivers, with a few exceptions.

Lots if options and some great fishing around Vancouver, especially if you rent a car and are happy to explore.

Lake season for trout is slow right now. It's worth checking out the locations page on this website too as Rod has lots of great info on places to fish.

Enjoy your trip!

Slouw

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 07:04:03 PM »

Thank you for your advice

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 08:29:42 AM »

there really isn't much going on on the Vedder/Chilliwack in mid-August. The Capilano will likely be too low for good fishing. It's controlled by a dam and the reservoir behind it is the source of Vancouver's drinking water so in our dry summer season most water is held there. The beaches and the immediate mouth of the Cap will offer some chance to catch salmon as the fish gather their waiting for the river to rise if there is a heavy rain. You can fish from shore - early morning, evening and low tide are the best time.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Slouw

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 08:46:16 AM »

Thanks a lot Ralph.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 08:54:20 AM »

What kind of line do you have on you`re rods and can you roll cast?

Slouw

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 05:46:20 PM »

I have floating line with sinking leader and also switch line, what do you recommend?  Any other river fishable for fly fishing? ( near by Vancouver  ). What kind of flies do you recommend? Thank you.