Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skaha Lake  (Read 7796 times)

CW89

• Go Habs Go!
Skaha Lake
« on: July 30, 2014, 12:32:19 PM »

Good Morning,

Myself and a couple of friends are heading up to Skaha lake on the weekend of the 8th. Unfortunately we wont be bringing a boat so that isnt an option, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on fishing from shore. Also, if there are any other lakes that have better shore fishing up there, what are they (Yellow, Twin... etc).

Thanks for any info!

Cameron

*EDIT - could be a river as well.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

Pin-nook

Re: Skaha Lake
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 01:11:40 PM »

Youtube "Bass Fishing!"  Looking for reeds, vegetation...anything with cover, even under docks and boats!

CW89

• Go Habs Go!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 06:51:46 PM »

Any spinner/plastic worm will work. I believe I saw Rodney using them in an old viper, however  on a boat.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 03:36:49 PM »

--Yellow has a casting dock near the boat launch (not the one at the boat launch) west end of the lake.
--Skaha any where along the old rail road rip rap... bridge at OK falls but probably a lot of people swimming near it.
--even the small lagoon behind the rail road bridge.

--if you're staying at wrights beach penticton end also fish along the rip rap from the rail road

--mainly bass in this shallow water but there is a drop of not far from the shore near banbury green that you can cast into deeper water... possible rainbow and bass if water temp is to high near shore.

--early morning (not popular when busy) any of the boat launches are decent for shore casting... also caught fish under the main skaha boat launch in penticton.

CW89

• Go Habs Go!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 12:40:20 AM »

--Yellow has a casting dock near the boat launch (not the one at the boat launch) west end of the lake.
--Skaha any where along the old rail road rip rap... bridge at OK falls but probably a lot of people swimming near it.
--even the small lagoon behind the rail road bridge.

--if you're staying at wrights beach penticton end also fish along the rip rap from the rail road

--mainly bass in this shallow water but there is a drop of not far from the shore near banbury green that you can cast into deeper water... possible rainbow and bass if water temp is to high near shore.

--early morning (not popular when busy) any of the boat launches are decent for shore casting... also caught fish under the main skaha boat launch in penticton.

Wow, much appreciated for the lengthy response. Will have to check a few of those out. Any suggestions on bait/lures? Relatively new to the angling scene.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 08:28:24 AM »

--I don't think there is much magic in the lure choice if you are not in the heat of the day.
--I tend to use slow presentation... such as soft plastic worm... or if fly fishing a leach or bead head leach.
--For top water smallies will definatley take a dry fly or any similar trout baits.  Just personal choice I tend not to use bait. I usually use a spoon style lure rather than a spinner but spinners work well.
--You could cast out a bobber with bait.

--This time of year I don't usually shore fish I'm using downriggers to get into deeper water for kokanee and trout.  Boat fishers also might use be drop shot to get into deeper cooler water. If shore fishing I would try cooler portions of the day early morning or evening when fish may be more active in the shallow water. If the fish are in the mood to bite I don't think they will key on any single presentation. You should be able to get something with whatever you're using.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 10:04:22 PM »

Was camping at vaseux this week and the fishing was great.All caught on wacky rigged senkos (dark green)Fished around underwater structures.(boulders)