Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skagit River Trip - Prologue  (Read 4692 times)

Tenz85

Re: Skagit River Trip - Prologue
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 11:36:10 AM »

Definitely am going to the skagit at least once now this season as I was considering before.

deepcovehooker

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 01:41:22 PM »

Great stuff.  I love the Skagit only get up there a few times each year but it seems like home.  The area is so peaceful and serine that you get lost in nature.  Just thinking that Seattle Light and Power wanted to flood the area makes me ill  >:(.  I think we all owe the individuals who successfully protested that action a debt of gratitude.

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 02:44:02 PM »

Good stuff Tenz85 - I missed last year and regret it lol

deepcovehooker - thanks and it does feel like home, doesn't it? How true you are about Seattle light and power, the protests and the subsequent buying back the right for them to increase water levels in the 80s I think (forget what we traded but was worth it). I have a booklet somewhere - Save The Skagit - has the chords for the song and everything hehe. I need to find that now.

Met some lifelong friends both on the river and by the fire, too. Looks like I'll try a few days before the long weekend brings the crowds etc :) I'll be there wed
There is pleasure in the pathless woods

George Gordon Byron

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 02:07:51 PM »

Wednesday morning is so long away, but time has been productive with prep, repairs to the neoprenes and some packing. I broke down and bought a tent so now I have six, including the ones in storage. Oh well. Im also lacking my felt-soled boots and must use my slip on River Rats, or whatever they're called. I'm anxious and decided to write something based on prior trips to segue into the actual fishing trip because I'll want to stay absolutely current up there, wasting no time on the past. Of course, there's little reception on the river so the rest will wait upon my return to cel towers and hot showers. :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 09:15:29 AM by SkagitDreamer »

George Gordon Byron

islanddude

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 07:48:17 PM »

Drink lots of water and you won't be doing the "naked jig" and scaring off the local wildlife. Good story.
  My favorite stream when I was young was Tamihi Creek for rainbow and dollies. Closed to fishing now.
  A couple of creeks up near the three lakes on the Nahatlatch River above North Bend. You had to stand behind the trees to put your fly on.
  The Ashnola up near Keremeos. Looking down into the pools from the high rocks. Seeing the Kamloops trout waiting for that grasshopper to drift by that they couldn't resist.
  The creek that flows through Hedley.Holding your fly over the foam to see how high the trout would jump to get it.
 Summer holidays up on my uncle's ranch on the Bonaparte river near Clinton. Fresh trout for breakfast.
  The creek that flowed out of the paper mill dam in Prince Rupert where my friend Gerry and I caught and release 13 sea going rainbow trout.

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 09:16:28 PM »

Lol naked jig, indeed. Yes, I was dehydrated from going too long without water but it was still worth it hehe (edit)

Those are some nice spots and good memories, islanddude. Sight fishing is fun and  feel like a kid again doing it. I've never fished the charlottes nor the Rupert area but would love to.

The quinsam, among other island streams, taught me to steelhead - good memories watching the mink on the quinsam, the bears and the whole vibe. I loved the blackwater, too, fishing it before the classified status. So many good memories and fun times with moving water. Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:33:44 PM by SkagitDreamer »

George Gordon Byron

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 07:19:59 PM »

Another great read SkagitDreamer !!! One that stirs the blood for adventure and leaves a smiles on ones face and a tear in the eye for long remembered memories. Thank You my friend ! 

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 07:49:40 PM »

Thanks for the sincere feedback, Athezone - glad you're enjoying the read :)

Only the coolers need packing onto the vehicle now, and the fly rod. I'm hoping for a safe and memorable trip. I'll leave 'loops around 2am, maybe seeing some of the delta aquariids meteors on the way. I saw a decent-sized meteorite crash into the river last may here but nary a word about it I could find - but that's another story he he I'll try and rest, dreaming of how the Skagit looks, feels. How high is the water? Will I have a few days to myself? Think it won't get over 30c, nice change from the desert heat. Regardless, if any of you see me n the dog do say hi. We'll be somewhere on the river :D

George Gordon Byron