Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to fish around Duncan and lake cowichan  (Read 3594 times)

Ry the fly guy

Where to fish around Duncan and lake cowichan
« on: July 25, 2014, 11:46:44 PM »

I have a 12ft aluminum boat and a 45lb thrust electric motor. The cowichan river is to busy right now with tubers. I have a 6# fly rod with floating line. What kind of flies should I use and how should I fish them.
Thanks.

awurban@msn.com

Re: Where to fish around Duncan and lake cowichan
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 08:50:24 PM »

Hey man, the trout fishing is more or less at a stand still right now in my opinion. If your up for a bit of a drive you will be better off heading up to the punledge river or campbell river for pink salmon. They are coming in thick and the campbell has a fly only portion up top

Ry the fly guy

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 10:32:50 PM »

I never really considered that becuase I thought my rod wasn't heavy enough for salmon. But I will consider it. Also do pinks come up the cowichan?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 07:41:56 AM »

Pinks aren't native to the Cowichan or Koklisah but DFO has been sponsoring a program to release pinks in Cowichan Bay with some results. There is a similar program in Nanaimo Harbour. Your boat and motor would be perfect for fishing smallmouth bass in some of the lakes near Duncan or Victoria. Shawnigan, Langford, Elk, Fuller and Quennel all have smallmouth. Trout gear is fine for these. Wooly buggers are effective flies. On bright sunny days the bass will go into deeper water during the day but are closer to shore or on shoals or sunken island morning and evening.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Ry the fly guy

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 02:10:55 PM »

Ya I have been doing a lot of small mouth fishing on fuller and it is defenetly fun. Thanks for the info!