Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 6 weight rods  (Read 4859 times)

Ry the fly guy

6 weight rods
« on: July 24, 2014, 11:51:32 PM »

Last year for Christmas I got a #6 sage SLT I didn't expect it and it is an awesome rod that I love. My question is that I fish a lot in small lakes and never use my fly rod because I'm afraid it's not sensitive enough. Am I ok to catch trout that are only .5 to 1 pound? And can I effectively fish dry flies with it?
Thanks.

ajransom

Re: 6 weight rods
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 06:01:00 AM »

Sure, you can use a 6 weight.

However, you will get much more delicate presentations with a lighter rod, and a one lb fish will feel a lot bigger. I use a 9 foot 4 weight for most lakes now and think it's a great option.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 07:56:30 AM »

Before I really understood rod weights as a kid, I always fished with a 7wt rod. As I started to get in to more fly fishing I filled out my list with a 2, 4, 6, 8 weight single handers. A a 4 or 5 is ideal for lake fishing but a 6 will be just fine for you. As you get in to it more, you'll add to your collection.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 09:48:42 AM »

I love my dragonfly 3wt ive landed smolts to 6lb cohos!And you realy get a fight out of it.
I know how to catch fish.......Sometimes.

Ry the fly guy

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 03:01:24 PM »

I live on Vancouver island and our trout don't get as big and you guys up in the interior. Also thanks for the help guys I should be going out next weekend for some trout.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 03:35:29 PM »

I see my post got deleted when Rod fixed this duplicate post.  Yes, you can certainly use the 6 wt SLT.  It's a beautiful rod - my favorite trout rod is a 5 wt SLT.  You can definitely use it to cast dries.  The SLT is classified as a "medium fast" action, but I find it to be more of a medium action compared to my other rods.  Perfect for delicate presentations and very smooth casting.  I love this rod!

Ry the fly guy

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 10:02:03 PM »

Fly fishing magician
It's awesome to find someone else who has the SLT, I was wondering what kind of line you use with yours? I use scientific anglers supra witch is really cheap at the time I bought it I did not understand the difference in quality and now I'm stuck with a sub quality line.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 11:11:45 PM »

I can't quite remember, but I think it's a 5 wt Scientific Anglers Mastery Series dry line.  I've had it for many years.  That's the thing about trout gear - the fish just don't wear out the gear like salmon!  The line casts well, and I often have a 20+ foot leader on the end as I use it for chironomid fishing.  The SLT handles it well.

Ry the fly guy

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 11:25:10 PM »

Thanks for the help man! I will probably keep my line becuase I don't want to throw it away and can't afford a spare spool at the moment.