Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Braid or mono  (Read 3468 times)

Alomar

Braid or mono
« on: July 24, 2014, 05:19:55 PM »

Ok so nobody wants to talk about the trolling in the chuck... Got a new rod and bait casting reel for dogs and coho in the fall.. Do I want to put braid or mono on it, which would cast farther thanks

SteelheadAdict

Re: Braid or mono
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 06:45:00 PM »

if your float fishing use 15lb maxima and some seguar flrorocarbon if fishing spoons and such go with braid

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 07:56:25 PM »

I love Slick8 braid on my levelwind for float fishing.
 Highly visible and it floats.

stormhaven

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 08:20:29 PM »

Braid Suffix 832 30lb casts a mile :)

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 08:21:31 PM »

if your float fishing use 15lb maxima and some seguar flrorocarbon if fishing spoons and such go with braid
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

losos

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 09:47:52 PM »

Ok so nobody wants to talk about the trolling in the chuck... Got a new rod and bait casting reel for dogs and coho in the fall.. Do I want to put braid or mono on it, which would cast farther thanks
Imo it doesn't matter which one you put on your reel.Both can get your float to the required spot provided you reel is well adjusted and you know how to use it to the fullest extent. One thing is, that braid is usually harder to deal with when bird nest occurs. With mono it is an easy affair.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:49:26 PM by losos »

vandenhooff

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 10:56:08 PM »

Imo it doesn't matter which one you put on your reel.Both can get your float to the required spot provided you reel is well adjusted and you know how to use it to the fullest extent. One thing is, that braid is usually harder to deal with when bird nest occurs. With mono it is an easy affair.

Agreed

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 12:12:38 AM »

Either braid or mono can get the job done and have their own set of advantages/disadvantages.

If I had to pick I'd go for braid especially if you have a low profile baitcaster with a small line capacity and braid allows for much more line at a given pound test.  Also it hasnt been mentioned yet but the no stretch characteristic of braid is a huge advantage IMHO, particularly on hooksets. I honestly believe my land ratio has gone up ever since switching to braid specifically because of that. If you are particularly concerned about casting distance, braid would have the edge assuming equivalent lb test.

Animal Chin

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 01:16:27 AM »

I was using power pro, whenever I had a fish pop off etc, I had the worse tangles around the rod tip. it was absolutely brutal. not sure how other braid lines fare with this issue. went back to mono on my float rod..and seaguar blue fluoro leaders. Good stuff. spinning rod I really like my fire line crystal.

Alomar

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 10:29:42 AM »

Thanks for all the input, think I'm leaning towards mono