Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I know funds are short  (Read 7498 times)

TNAngler

Re: I know funds are short
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 08:48:54 AM »

That's not how it works although it sounds good in theory. Any money collected from fines would go to "general revenue". If C&P would find ways to save money they would likely not see a big increase in their budget. It means they can do with less. The Feds are in deficit reduction so any cost savings is going somewhere else and not to the ground forces....well maybe at election time.

They do undercover work but it's not all done by hiding behind trees or looking like some angler. Investigative work includes gathering information through emails, texts, social media and the internet in general.

Oh, I know it isn't how it works but that doesn't mean it isn't how it should work.  Granted, it might lead to ticket happy officers so that they can pad their budget.

Or, better yet, ticket money goes into habitat enhancement projects, education classes, hatcheries, etc.

And sure, they might do some undercover work without being out on the river, but seeing how some of these people are fishing, you aren't going to know this unless you are out there.  Unless it is reported, somebody isn't going to post on facebook pictures of them snagging fish unless they are really dumb.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 06:15:03 PM »

Oh, I know it isn't how it works but that doesn't mean it isn't how it should work.  Granted, it might lead to ticket happy officers so that they can pad their budget.

Or, better yet, ticket money goes into habitat enhancement projects, education classes, hatcheries, etc.

And sure, they might do some undercover work without being out on the river, but seeing how some of these people are fishing, you aren't going to know this unless you are out there.  Unless it is reported, somebody isn't going to post on facebook pictures of them snagging fish unless they are really dumb.
I like the idea of ticket money going into habitat restoration or extra enforcement, but you will likely get politicians saying that's not necessary because it's covered in the budget already. As for ticket happy fisheries officers I doubt that because writing tickets mean extra paperwork and the possibility to ending up in court to testify. That's no fun especially when they are expected to be everywhere catching bad guys with minimal funds.

You have the wrong idea about the undercover investigative work I was talking about. It's not just waiting to see who is blabbing about their illegal catch. They monitor any buying and selling of salmon that may have a digital trail. They may even pose as buyers themselves. It would be nice to see them often on the river but they don't have the funds to be everywhere all the time. With limited funds they will likely be strategic in where they go and when.

TNAngler

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 08:03:17 AM »

I like the idea of ticket money going into habitat restoration or extra enforcement, but you will likely get politicians saying that's not necessary because it's covered in the budget already. As for ticket happy fisheries officers I doubt that because writing tickets mean extra paperwork and the possibility to ending up in court to testify. That's no fun especially when they are expected to be everywhere catching bad guys with minimal funds.

You have the wrong idea about the undercover investigative work I was talking about. It's not just waiting to see who is blabbing about their illegal catch. They monitor any buying and selling of salmon that may have a digital trail. They may even pose as buyers themselves. It would be nice to see them often on the river but they don't have the funds to be everywhere all the time. With limited funds they will likely be strategic in where they go and when.

Oh, yeah, they have to monitor selling and stuff too.  A lot of the guys out there snagging though are not selling salmon.  I doubt most poachers are selling salmon.

I know what the politicians will say but if you think about it, if more tickets are written, that means there is likely a bigger issue and so more funds are needed.  If DFO goes out and can't find a single person to ticket, then it is likely that most people are following the rules and fewer checks are needed.

Politicians just think they should have the control over where it is spent and therefore want it all coming into the general funds.  I know it is almost impossible to change but it sure would be nice.