Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first look at Furry Creek.  (Read 13912 times)

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: My first look at Furry Creek.
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 02:59:40 PM »

The beginning of your story reminded me of something an older time golfer told me one time.

"Don't eat blackberries below waist level at a tee box".

jimmywits

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 03:08:29 PM »

The beginning of your story reminded me of something an older time golfer told me one time.

"Don't eat blackberries below waist level at a tee box".
Don't eat blackberries anywhere below waist level!!

Scooterguy

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 03:48:50 PM »

You're now fishing outside of Richmond?? ;)

I found it out from your web-site. I went and check it out on the long weekend. I got skunk on the first day while the guy next to me hook 18 and landed 13 and people around me pulling in fish   :'(.
Back the next day, we hooked 3 female and lost 1. My boy caught a sea gull and a crab lol (he landed them both too)  ;D. My daughter caught a lot of salad and hook 1. From talking to other fisherman, it looked like I was 1 week behind

We had a great time. We love the view and we plan to go again this Sunday just for fun.

I check Fraser, Cates and Cap yesterday. The tide was too low so we went to Amberside's dock to fish bullhead ... :-[ and we got skunk again  :-*. At 8Pm, 1 guy hooked a very good size min. 10lbs Coho and he lost it because the line got tangle with the crab traps. He used shrimp as bait. It is very odd that the Coho bite it. Maybe I should add a shrimp on my spoon and buzzbomb  ::).

I can't wait for the pink arrived Fraser. We will see you there.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 05:14:35 PM »

Great story and I thought of your experience when I went picking this afternoon and was watching for the yellow jackets. No bees but found a passport and a bunch of other personal stuff in the blackberry bushes, no money of course, correction 1 cent.

RCMP are coming shortly to pick it up. I am sure the owner will be happy to get his passport back.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 06:06:19 PM »

...but found a passport and a bunch of other personal stuff in the blackberry bushes, no money of course, correction 1 cent.
RCMP are coming shortly to pick it up. I am sure the owner will be happy to get his passport back.

Don't you just hate those lowlifes who break into a house or a car or snatch a purse, take money and anything of value to them and just toss important personal documents of their victims  into a blackberry bush?
Chilliwack and adjacent areas are notorious.

That's why those I catch red-handed get "lectured". Sorry, I can't post details, but I am sure you can read between the lines.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 06:02:47 PM »

Don't you just hate those lowlifes who break into a house or a car or snatch a purse, take money and anything of value to them and just toss important personal documents of their victims  into a blackberry bush?
Chilliwack and adjacent areas are notorious.

That's why those I catch red-handed get "lectured". Sorry, I can't post details, but I am sure you can read between the lines.

Milo the quotations were enough to know. With that said ill now call you the professor.

pkan

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 03:51:11 PM »

I actually was also attacked by wasps (yellow jackets).  This was prior to the highway improvement project for the Winter Olympics, when they cut down many trees in the area.  Had 25+ stingers removed from my neck/face, and 1 wasp removed from my ear canal at the hospital - I may have accidentally disturbed a large nest by walking near it.  I was very lucky to have survived.  If I was actually allergic to wasp stings, I would not live to tell the story.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 04:19:39 PM »

Only bees lose their stingers...

RyanB

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 07:51:48 PM »

I got stung twice at work two weeks ago.  First sting was incredibly painful.  You have my sympathies.
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

losos

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2014, 10:47:42 PM »

I actually was also attacked by wasps (yellow jackets).  This was prior to the highway improvement project for the Winter Olympics, when they cut down many trees in the area.  Had 25+ stingers removed from my neck/face, and 1 wasp removed from my ear canal at the hospital - I may have accidentally disturbed a large nest by walking near it.  I was very lucky to have survived.  If I was actually allergic to wasp stings, I would not live to tell the story.

Sorry pkan, but wasp don't leave its stinger as it is smooth and straight. Bees on the other hand do it cause their stingers are curved and have barbs. They die after an attack.

pkan

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 09:58:54 AM »

I can guarantee they were yellowjackets. When they sting multiple times, rheir stingers can remain lodged in your flesh! It was extremely viscious,  and I wish no one to experience what I went throughM

islanddude

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 08:07:08 PM »

I have been nailed numerous times on Vancouver Island while picking mushroom and salal. This was before I learned the "rule of thumb" when pursuing mushrooms, blackberries, salal, firewood, etc. One insect flying around you everthing should be cool, two, run, run, run. This has saved me from being stung many times. Those ground wasps are vicious especially when you get rainy summer day.

Fillibert

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 10:22:40 PM »

2 words: blackberry wine

Ambassador

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2014, 11:03:58 AM »

2 words: blackberry wine
2 more words - Blackberry worms. Soak them in water overnight with a teaspoon of salt and you will see what I mean.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown