Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: salmon year  (Read 4704 times)

ABad

salmon year
« on: July 14, 2014, 10:22:08 AM »

Hello

We live in Quesnel.  It is a bit of a hike to make it to the Fraser Valley for the "record" salmon season.  Anyone have any suggestions for salmon fishing closer to home?  I have seen people fishing on the Thompson in Savona but cannot find info on fishing in that area.  Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks
ABad

armytruck

• Old Timer
Re: salmon year
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 12:10:13 PM »

What about the Bella Coola , I don't know that river personally but is that river a good bet for this time of year.
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

ABad

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 10:29:57 PM »

Thanks

Mapquest says that Bella Coola is about the same travel time as to Hope.  I do plan on fishing Bella Coola at some point.  This year may be the year to try it. 

thanks

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 08:03:46 AM »

Keep a watch on this website for opening on the Thompson: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region3-eng.html.

I know next to nothing about how and where they fish for salmon on the Thompson but it looks like it will open for Jack Chinook tomorrow and if sockeye are opened this year there usually is an opening in late August or early September.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 01:25:13 PM »

Personally I wouldn't spend the gas money and drive from Quesnel to the Fraser Valley just to harvest a few sockeye salmon with a few thousand other people in this heat. It's not what I would consider quality fishing experience and there are cheaper way to put fresh sockeye salmon on the dinner table.

ABad

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 10:07:45 AM »

Rodn
That is the issue.  That type of fishing is NOT very relaxing or enjoyable.  They have opened the Quesnel river up for sockey a few years ago.  Hopefully they will open it this year. 

Thanks for the help

Ambassador

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 12:10:33 PM »

x2 on the Bella Coola suggestion. The drive there from Quesnel is absolutely incredible and has rivers full of salmon - and nowhere near the amount of people fishing for them. Hit the Atnarko and don't forget the bear spray!

"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown