Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: guess whos fishing  (Read 7238 times)

rockonfishing

guess whos fishing
« on: July 06, 2014, 03:25:42 PM »

Interesting today saw many boats out with nets as I drove across the Golden Ears Bridge, I didn't realize commercial was open, or is this a native only fishery.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: guess whos fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 03:29:22 PM »

FN communal openings.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 08:03:47 PM »

So nobody else is fishing because of the low numbers of early Chinook but its ok to net the river for communal purposes?

Oh that's right,they do this every year. ::)

Archer

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 08:36:28 PM »

Yup, saw them with the BIG nets floating down river in the Langley area last weekend and this weekend. Three words for you "CAUSE THEY CAN". Is it ok? Equal? Nope! Political, YES! 

Humpy

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 08:40:06 PM »

::)
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

mikeyman

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 09:26:30 PM »

BS...all the closures and size restrictions put on to see the fish that we want to make it back to spawn get picked off in a native gill net. Why not wait for the numbers to go up in August sockeye time...what a joke.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 09:55:39 PM »

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 06:10:52 AM »

Chinook numbers in the Fraser are huge right now according to the Albion test fishery.

June 7 to July 7 2013 = 44 adult Chinook
June 7 to July 7 2014 = 358 adult Chinook

TNAngler

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 10:00:52 AM »

I'm not surprised they are fishing but I am surprised the website isn't updated.  Wait, was this considered Middle and Upper Fraser?  It looks like there were publicized openings for special permits there (no update on the harvest report there).  Nothing in the lower Fraser but given the test numbers I doubt it will be long.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 09:09:35 PM »

I'm not surprised they are fishing but I am surprised the website isn't updated.  Wait, was this considered Middle and Upper Fraser?  It looks like there were publicized openings for special permits there (no update on the harvest report there).  Nothing in the lower Fraser but given the test numbers I doubt it will be long.

It's the Lower Fraser. The website should indeed be updated. I've sent in a note last night about it so will wait for a response.

TNAngler

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 08:03:40 AM »

It's the Lower Fraser. The website should indeed be updated. I've sent in a note last night about it so will wait for a response.

Thanks Rod.  If the website isn't updated, how are people going to know whether they are fishing legally?  Sounds like there were so many of them and they were so out in the open that it was obvious but I've had one drift a net right down in front of a whole line of fisherman when they were supposed to be closed.  Poachers dont' always do it in hiding.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 09:46:32 AM »

Thanks Rod.  If the website isn't updated, how are people going to know whether they are fishing legally?  Sounds like there were so many of them and they were so out in the open that it was obvious but I've had one drift a net right down in front of a whole line of fisherman when they were supposed to be closed.  Poachers dont' always do it in hiding.

I agree, that's why I am always pushing for the availability of correct information otherwise why even have the phone numbers for enforcement. The page is now updated (the previous openings page anyway, I guess new current openings have not been determined) and they are now aware of the problem, so hopefully it won't happen again, for awhile.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/abor-autoc-eng.html#Lower_Fraser_River

TNAngler

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 09:58:25 AM »

I agree, that's why I am always pushing for the availability of correct information otherwise why even have the phone numbers for enforcement. The page is now updated (the previous openings page anyway, I guess new current openings have not been determined) and they are now aware of the problem, so hopefully it won't happen again, for awhile.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/abor-autoc-eng.html#Lower_Fraser_River

I laugh at your definition of "awhile" but thanks for keeping on it.  I will make sure the phone number for enforcement is saved in my phone, international calling charges  or not.

rockonfishing

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 03:31:21 PM »

well while drive the south perimeter road both west and east I notice a vessel just west of the Surrey Docks and no it was a tug, so the natives keep going no consequences at all, while we wait and wait and wait, or I forgot that we also keep paying them for whatever our ancestors did to them many many many years ago.

rockonfishing

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 03:43:58 PM »

no it was not a tug sorry misprint.