Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caught this guy today  (Read 6854 times)

koifish

Caught this guy today
« on: July 02, 2014, 11:24:17 PM »

I got this fish today don't worry he was release immediately after the pic I didn't fight him much  check the link
I got him a funny way I used a Adams dry fly since many trout were surfacing and my leader was to heavy and it sank so I put the rod down and went to get something come back had him on is it a trout?

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/vd6dj0op9ugx3li/AAB7SQ-pb1RKBFyyduYX1kiBa

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Caught this guy today
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 06:49:39 AM »

yes, rainbow
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

koifish

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 07:40:01 AM »

ya i thought it was rainbow

i found the fly that would work!!!!!! in my secret fishing spot

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 08:17:32 AM »

Time to upgrade your fish ID skills if you truly didn't know that was rainbow trout :o

koifish

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 08:31:54 AM »

Well the trout I catch in lakes don't have those red circles on them
I haven't caught a trout in a river in a while but I  thought it was a rainbow

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 08:55:04 AM »

The red "circles" are just the red stripe with blue parr marks (blue circles) overlaid. Parr marks are indicative of a juvenile fish. They disappear as the fish reaches maturity.
Zooming into the picture it appears to show orange slashes under the jaw, making this a cutthroat trout, not a rainbow.
Nothing wrong with not being able to identify a fish as long as you treat it with respect and release it.

koifish

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »

Ya I caught him near shore so I brought him quickly and released

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 06:18:44 PM »

The red "circles" are just the red stripe with blue parr marks (blue circles) overlaid. Parr marks are indicative of a juvenile fish. They disappear as the fish reaches maturity.
Zooming into the picture it appears to show orange slashes under the jaw, making this a cutthroat trout, not a rainbow.
Nothing wrong with not being able to identify a fish as long as you treat it with respect and release it.

I agree yet also disagree. Red slashes yes, rest of the body markings suggest rainbow. I would say it's a Cuttbow, they seem to be happening more and more in rivers where they are both inhabitants and are able to cross breed.

100% agree with your last sentence  :D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »

I agree yet also disagree. Red slashes yes, rest of the body markings suggest rainbow. I would say it's a Cuttbow, they seem to be happening more and more in rivers where they are both inhabitants and are able to cross breed.

100% agree with your last sentence  :D

Yes, the slash of a cuttie has a more bright orange tint (more like the colour of the fins), this looks like a rainbow.
Not all those who wander are lost

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 07:49:22 AM »

this is a rainbow. Throat slashes are not fully indicative of a cutthroat while the markings and length of the jaw (this is more indicative of species than throat slashes) are indicative of a rainbow. Interbreeding is happening more often? Says who? Up until 10 to 15 years ago there was little evidence it ever happened between coast rainbow and cutthroat. Even now there is little evidence it is common locally. Besides the only way to confirm hybridism is a genetic test so think horses not zebras. It appears more experienced fishermen need to brush up on their ID skills and rely less on local mythology. ;D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 07:53:57 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 09:14:56 AM »

Some good responses. I have little experience with tiny fish so will defer to those more knowledgeable.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 09:30:14 AM »

SPeaking of cuttbow i think i may have caught one in the squamish river yesterday we were 99% sure it was a rainbow until i looked into the cut and saw the red stripe.Later on my friend got another cutthroat but his looked way more like a cuttie than rainbow.Could i have gotten a cuttbow?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 10:57:03 AM »

It's unlikely. "Cuttbow' is a popular term and doesn't mean much from a biological standpoint. Westslope, Yellowstone and other interior strains of cutthroat seem to hybridize regularly with rainbow and rainbows have the dominate genetics and all but eliminated many populations of cutthroat. Cuttbow is term used by anglers in the Rocky Mountain states to describe trout that have seem to have a mix of the characteristics of both. There rainbows were introduced via plantings whereas on the coast rainbows and cutts have existed side by side for thousands of years and maintained a separate genetic identity. This does not mean they don't share some genetic characterisitics. Also there is considerable variation in physical appearance within a species and likewise physical appearance varies remarkably depending on season, sexual maturity and specific environment. Trout in glacial streams like the Squamish or Fraser often have an almost silvery/white appearance. In other words there are too many variables to say a fish is a hybrid based on the presence of throat slashes.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 01:44:43 PM »

--Given the well intended and expert responses I conclude what is most important

-- "I got this fish today don't worry he was release immediately"

-- Also given some of the responses on the fish ID contest on this site... some experts also need to go back to school.

-Kudo's for asking and trying to learn more about the fish and the sport.

salmonrook

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 10:45:40 AM »

Its a rainbow, very colourful, but as it gets bigger it will lose some of its colouring.Caught many of these in a local lake on the fly.